Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What face are you using

• Chronograph

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Color

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 82 28.6%
  • Modular

Votes: 75 26.1%
  • Simple

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Motion

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Astronomy

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Solar

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Mickey

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • X-Large

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Custom

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
After having the AW since 4/24, I've realized there probably won't be one watch face to rule them all. Think the best strategy is a different watch face for different attire/situations.

I voted Simple, but I mostly rotate between three of the faces. One other poster on this thread mentioned the circular shape of the analog face on a rectangular case. Something in me also finds the clash of the two shapes to be weird. Not bad, just weird for my brain to process. Complications in the corners help a little to rectify this. I don't dislike any of the faces either.

SIMPLE: Complications in corners only, orange second hand mostly, use every time detail. Complications are smaller but appear cleaner than the shadowed complication backgrounds of the Color face.
COLOR: Complications in corners, monogram in use, float between orange and white. Like others have said, I wish the second hand could change color to match.
SOLAR: This one is very original, beautiful, minimalist futuristic, relaxing and was the one face that made me excited about the watch when it was first teased. When I want something sleek and not overwhelming with info, it's this one. I split time 50/50 between this face and the analogs.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
For anyone interested no emojis. Use unicode characters. Paste the unicode character in.
Yes.. sorry I didn't respond sooner. Emoji would've been fun — many of the picture/dingbat symbols work, but not everything (like 〠, ☻ and ☹ work, but not ☺︎). Strangely, different yin-yang symbols display entering ☄☯ vs just ☯ — guess the comet triggers a font change. Also, letters enclosed with circles or squares are available. And, of course, the there's the ever popular  (which appears as an apple in Apple fonts).

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Yes.. sorry I didn't respond sooner. Emoji would've been fun — many of the picture/dingbat symbols work, but not everything (like 〠, ☻ and ☹ work, but not ☺︎). Strangely, different yin-yang symbols display entering ☄☯ vs just ☯ — guess the comet triggers a font change. Also, letters enclosed with circles or squares are available. And, of course, the there's the ever popular  (which appears as an apple in Apple fonts).

No worries. Made me go educate myself. Thanks for response anyway. I went with infinity symbol. Looks cool. Thanks showing me something new!

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I try to switch my face every day, and I have a dedicated one for when I'm at work (Utility). My most used are:

1. Utility. Classic, clean analog look, and displays the hour numbers as well. The "long" complication on the bottom is nice too. Definitely my favorite face.
2. Solar. Just a really awesome and unique watch face. I love seeing a visual representation of how much daylight I still have left.
3. Modular. Tons of info packed into a clean design. Thought I wouldn't like this one at all, but having that detailed complication in the middle is very useful. Also changing the color to yellow contrasts very nicely with the Space Gray!

Runner-up would be Astronomy. I would like this one more if it showed a live image of the Earth so I could see the cloud cover (probably too much to ask for) and a complication or two. Also, Mickey, because how can you not like it?

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I may be late on this but are all the current watch faces available the stock ones or are there already custom made third party faces already out there ? and if not what is the guess on when they'll start coming ?

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
I may be late on this but are all the current watch faces available the stock ones or are there already custom made third party faces already out there ? and if not what is the guess on when they'll start coming ?
The only currently available faces are those that come with the watch. Apple may allow 3rd party developers to create new faces, but that wouldn't be announced until the World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month. Perhaps they'll be available this fall with the release of iOS 9.

Last edited:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I like analog (or would it be called digital analog with the Apple Watch?) watches, so it's either Utility or Chronograph for me, not a fan of Color or Simple. I do want 4 complications though so I can put a timer in, the Chronograph sort of does the job with the stop watch, wish Utility had 4 complications. Mickey is nice, but I like the seconds marks.

I would switch to Utility full-time if they just made the numbers a little smaller. I like having 12-3,6,9 minutes on there, and even that is a little too crowded for me.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Wish X-Large had some widgets. If it did i'd use it. Modular for now though.

But, that's the beauty of X-Large. It's digital minimalism to the extreme.
I had the same reaction with Solar at first; now, I'm used to it not having any complications and love it just the same.

IllusionEntity

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2013
Kent, UK
I change face depending on the band my BCB is my simple face which consists of just the watch hands. My GSB I use my colour face which is of course green. And my link bracelet I use the solar or mickey face.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Modular here, all monochrome, the only color I want to see is the red dot and it really stands out.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
As it turns out I have Watch face ADD... This is the one I'm using at the moment..

I've been switching it up quite a bit too, heck, that's half the fun. :cool:

I like it in blue if you're using a black band. It's a good contrast.

I have a friend with a white band who is using it in white. It looks quite crisp.

That's what I'm currently using, Modular, blue on a SG+black sport - looks terrific :)

Still haven't quite settled on the Comps, but I love the BIG DATE (with day), and the small temp and battery:

Attachments

• IMG_7265.PNG
    IMG_7265.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 88

digitalnut

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Too late for the actual poll, but I use the Mickey face all the time. Quickly changed to it as soon as I got my Watch, since it's a big reason why I wanted one.

Oh I remember the iPod Nano 6th generation, that I will now call the Apple Watch Version 0 - it had a clock mode and offered a Mickey face, as well as a few other licensed characters - Kermit and Animal immediately come to mind.

If an Animal face becomes available for Apple Watch, Mickey's reign may be in danger... :D

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I use Motion, the jellyfish one. I like it because it's simple, elegant, and beautiful.

I don't like the cluttered look of complications, especially since I don't care. I don't want to know what the temperature is every time I look at my watch. I don't need to know my battery percentage every time I look at my watch. I don't care what time it is somewhere else. I just want to know what time it is, or look at a notification. Those are my two most common reasons for looking. If I do want to see the weather, I just flick up the glances (I always leave that one as my default). If I want to know more, I tap it. Same for battery life, I have that one just to the left of my weather glance.

I really think glances are great. I much prefer them over the cluttered look of the "add everything on the screen because I can" watch faces.

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
My favorite Watch faces

• Solar, Motion (Jellyfish), and Astronomy for when I want a simple but modern appearance.

• Modular and Utility for when I need to see useful information at a glance, mostly weather and calendar events.

• X-Large for outdoor activities in the sun, when the screen is harder to see

• Simple, Chronograph, and Motion (Butterflies) for a classy appearance during formal occasions

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 82

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
More of my favorite faces

Here are some more screenshots of my favorite watch faces

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.