What feature do you most want to see in the next iPhone/iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledes7, Feb 19, 2014.

?

What feature do you most want to see in the next iPhone/iOS 8?

1. Better battery life

45 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Setting default applications

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Larger screen

76 vote(s)
    44.7%
  4. Better sharing between 3rd party apps

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Larger capacities (128GB for example)

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. File system access

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Better camera (resolution and optics)

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. CPU & RAM boost

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. 3rd party keyboard support

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

I'm doing a short little survey for personal research. Not at all supposed to be scientific or anything like that. Just let me know, of the listed items, what you would like to see most in the next iPhone or the next version of iOS. I will be mixing both hardware and software features as part of this poll.

Thanks!

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

3. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I'd like to see much easier access to the change time/date setting.

There are just too many clicks to change when I'm playing Candy Crush.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

battery and default applications would be nice. I do not really mind the stock apps, but it would be nice to have that choice, granted I do not think that will happen.

5. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Some kind of simple file repository so that I can attach files to email when I reply to a message. A better keyboard. That's it for me.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I'm going to say stuff I find very unlikely.

MUCH longer battery life. Like 16 hrs usage.

The technology to support voice and data on CDMA network.

Unified file system. No more saving files within apps. Do it in a clever Apple way, it doesn't have to be confusing.

Touching on a file system, update the mail client to include "attachments" other then pictures of course.

Less bezel, no physical home button. I don't want this to turn into a topic so just use your imagination and pretend to like the ways Apple could do this.

Multiple foreground apps on the iPad. A lot of screen for it to be just a big iPhone. Nice if I could have my new feed or something else up as I type this.

Be nice to have AC wireless just to get everything on my network on AC. However N is fine really.

More RAM! Tired of every app reloading because it got purged from it's suspended state.

NFC or some other payment method that's more like NFC and less like Passbook. iBeacon or whatever that's cool. However I'm not fond of being sent ads to my phone and no other useful purpose.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

A 4.3" model to replace the 4", and a 4.7" model. Keep both with high end specs, although I can almost guarantee the 4.3" will become the iPhone 'C'

8. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Longer battery life is definitely #1 on my list. And I think this is a real possibility. If they increase the screen size, there should be more room for a larger battery.

9. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Needs a re-thinking of how iOS functions. It's gotten prettier, but more or less it's the same. I'd like to see some innovation. Obviously it's not necessary given the success of the brand, but my opinion is that how it works and how we use it could/should be re-imagined. It can be made to be a must have device. It's quickly turning into an alternative to Android, versus a better product.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'd like 32gb to be the standard in the base model.

12. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. Flash storage is becoming cheaper and cheaper. 32GB should definitely be standard. If not on the iPhone, it should for sure be standard on iPads.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

battery that lasts as long as the iPad does would be fantastic.

14. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

Longer battery life. My iPhone on iOS 7 doesn't even last a day.

15. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

None of these are even mildly interesting to me except for battery life.

16. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

voted for larger screen as I prefer 4.7 but getting a little better battery life is important to me, the other items are so so IMO

17. appledes7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think with a larger screen we will also see better battery life since a larger battery capacity will be able to fit.

18. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

None of the above

I will be happy if the next iphone has the following 3 things

sapphire/darn near unbreakable/scratchable screen
    waterproof
    Wireless charging

with that said I will be replacing my 4s with a 6 regardless

19. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Bigger screen with new UI and not just additional row of icons, touch sensitive controls with some features borrowed from mac OS including gestures..

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't have much in the way of expectations for the next iOS and iDevices, so I chose better CPU and RAM performance.

21. cynics macrumors G3

Exactly, the iPads are an easy real world example.

Plus talk of more efficient display technology.

22. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

There's no one thing. Hell, I'd probably take all of the things you listed.

23. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i would be happy if there was no new iPhone and instead, iOS 8 had a user accessible filesystem without jailbreak.

24. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

My wishlist for the next iPhone would be:

ONE UNIFIED SIZE

I don't want Apple to release a 4.7 inch phone, a 5.5 inch phone, an iPad Air, an iPad Mini, the iPhone 5s, etc. I think Apple does it best when they keep it simple. The phablet market is overrated. 4.7 is fine.

MORE STORAGE

More storage meaning 32 GB = low end. 16 GB is fine for me, but it won't be. These apps are getting bigger, and high speed videos and high quality pictures take up a lot of space. 32/64/128 is fine, or just release an iPhone with an SD card slot.

THINNESS ISN'T THE MOST IMPORTANT THING

The one thing that bothered me about Jobs' design sensibilities is that he adored thinness over all physical attributes. It's nice, but there's no reason for a phone to be any thinner than the iPhone 5. Make it sleek, obviously, but most people would rather have a bigger battery than a slimmer device. Just ask any Moto X owner if they're upset at how thick the phone is.

FILE SYSTEM ACCESS

This is something that Apple won't do, but it's one thing from Android I miss. It's not that big of a deal though, and jail breaking isn't really my thing (I always root my Android phones, but that's because Android phones usually aren't good enough stock. Moto X and Nexus 5 change that.)

WIDGETS

I mean, it's about time, isn't it? Apple could even implement it like they do in OSX -- live webclips. A 4.7 inch display isn't very fun when it's filled with icons.

BETTER BATTERY LIFE

Not that I think there's much of a problem with the battery life in an iPhone -- much to the contrary -- (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1707536) but it can always be better. Fit a 2400 mah battery into the iPhone 6 and I'll be happy

PLASTIC ISN'T THAT BAD

Don't be afraid to design a more durable iPhone in plastic -- the 5c is actually the best iPhone to hold, while remaining sleek and beautiful with its unibody design -- there's nothing wrong with that. The 5s is more beautiful, imo, with its chamfered edges and magnificently machined steel while being ridiculously thin -- but that doesn't make the phone work better.

MAINTAIN THE RELIABILITY OF iOS

The thing that sold me back on iPhone was how reliable iOS was. It rarely fails me -- performing basically every task the same way every time. Android still falls behind here, greatly, with inconsistent design qualities and lag, no matter what phone you have. Don't tell me your Note 3 hasn't lagged, because even with 3 GB of ram, it has. Every Android phone does. Core system animations being built into iOS is a pretty big deal here. See how Apple has a flagship with a dual core and 1 GB of ram in 2014? Optimization. Try using the Note 3 with 1 GB of ram..there's no chance. Apple got me back because of their unwavering desire for a unified, beautiful experience. They don't bloat their phones with useless apps and features like other manufacturers do. When you use an iPhone you know what you're going to get -- and that's a lot of why people love OS X so much. As long as Apple keeps providing a beautiful, reliable, and CONSISTENT experience on their mobile devices, they'll have a place in this market. Stick to what makes you great, Apple.

25. businezguy macrumors 6502

More reliable iOS experience for iPads. Before ios7, my iPad never crashed. Now it can crash once or twice per day. Perhaps iOS 7.1 will fix that. I'm also in for more battery life and a bigger screen.