Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
If you could add 1 feature besides more storage or 3G what would you add and why?

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
I think I would wait until I actually had one to figure that out.

The reason I pose the question is so many people have been concerned that the iPhone is not the product they want in the form they were shown at MacWorld. I wanted to hear what people would need to help push them over the edge into buyin an iPhone without buyers remorse.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
A 3 megapixel camera, support of aim(free of course), download songs directly from itunes store.

Concerning the iTunes Store direct downloads I think this is going to take more effort on Apple's part to deal with the DRM issues than most realize. As it stand, iTunes handles all of the DRM and keeps track of which songs you own and have a right to use. When you download a song from iTunes it is protected and linked to your account. When you sync your iPod with iTunes, iTunes strips the DRM from the songs and loads them as straight AAC files. That way the iPod does not have to deal with the DRM and has allowed the hardware and software in iPods to remain relatively simple. To allow downloads directly the system would have to change, the iPhone would need to keep track of all the songs you have the right to play and would need to be authorized like a computer since it would be downloading protected content from the store. This is similar to why a subscription music or movie service is more work because the current iPods are not currently able to deal with DRM on the iPod itself. Correct me if I am wrong.

JNB

macrumors 604
Concerning the iTunes Store direct downloads I think this is going to take more effort on Apple's part to deal with the DRM issues than most realize. As it stand, iTunes handles all of the DRM and keeps track of which songs you own and have a right to use. When you download a song from iTunes it is protected and linked to your account. When you sync your iPod with iTunes, iTunes strips the DRM from the songs and loads them as straight AAC files. That way the iPod does not have to deal with the DRM and has allowed the hardware and software in iPods to remain relatively simple. To allow downloads directly the system would have to change, the iPhone would need to keep track of all the songs you have the right to play and would need to be authorized like a computer since it would be downloading protected content from the store. This is similar to why a subscription music or movie service is more work because the current iPods are not currently able to deal with DRM on the iPod itself. Correct me if I am wrong.

Assuming you're right (and I have no reason to think you're not), could this be a driving force between Apple's recent strong anti-DRM stance? If all ITMS purchases are DRM-free in the first place, then the iPhone handling of a direct download wouldn't be an issue.

Another consideration is downloads to iPhone re-syncing back into the "master" library, something that can't be done natively with the iPod today. Maybe a "linking" process between the master iTunes instance and a specific iPhone? What if you have all five computers authorized? And have two or more iPhones in the family? Arrrgh!

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
Assuming you're right (and I have no reason to think you're not), could this be a driving force between Apple's recent strong anti-DRM stance? If all ITMS purchases are DRM-free in the first place, then the iPhone handling of a direct download wouldn't be an issue.

Another consideration is downloads to iPhone re-syncing back into the "master" library, something that can't be done natively with the iPod today. Maybe a "linking" process between the master iTunes instance and a specific iPhone? What if you have all five computers authorized? And have two or more iPhones in the family? Arrrgh!

DRM free music will certainly help, however Apple has made clear they do not plan on getting rid of the $0.99 DRM protected tracks anytime soon, so if they want to allow downloading to the iPhone and next gen iPod anytime soon they need to sort it all out. Also, this is most likely a major topic of discussion in the new contract negotiations Apple and the major labels are going through right now, a way to extend the authorized computers or allow iPhones and future iPods based on the new OSX unlimited access to the songs user purchase from the iTunes store.

BayAreaMacFan

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
I love it already, and I will be lining up to get one, but I'd probably most want shared music. Kind of like the Zune squirting thing except like say I'm in a WiFi hotspot then I can share music like on iTunes with other people. It would be streaming just like the iTunes kind, and I can say if I want others to be able to see mine or not.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
I love it already, and I will be lining up to get one, but I'd probably most want shared music. Kind of like the Zune squirting thing except like say I'm in a WiFi hotspot then I can share music like on iTunes with other people. It would be streaming just like the iTunes kind, and I can say if I want others to be able to see mine or not.

I like this idea alot! Sharing will have similar issues I mentioned above with DRM.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
If it had a slingbox client + internet sharing to a PC/Mac, i'd buy it without even thinking. I'll probably still end up buying it... I just wont be as satisfied until they release one with those capabilities.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
What feature would you add to iPhone?
  • A removable battery
  • An option to attach an external keyboard
  • 3rd party apps or Ajax/flash-support
  • Not attached to a carrier
  • An iPod without the phone-capabilities
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
A terminal with ssh. :D

• A removable battery
  • An option to attach an external keyboard
  • 3rd party apps or Ajax/flash-support
  • Not attached to a carrier
  • An iPod without the phone-capabilities
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything.

Immortal Battery. Made from the same stuff as a General Products hull.

Oh, and a frickin' pony. ;)

Note for Vinnie, the iPhone incorporates Bluetooth so you could connect it to a BT keyboard.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
GPS,

That new nokia has GPS and it is getting rave reviews.

It's going to look out of date not 5 years ahead if they don't bring in GPS within say a year of release as that will be the norm

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
GPS,

That new nokia has GPS and it is getting rave reviews.

It's going to look out of date not 5 years ahead if they don't bring in GPS within say a year of release as that will be the norm

I agree a solid GPS would be fantastic. Imagine Apple with a turn by turn GPS that pipes directions with the new Leopard text to speach voice through your headphones as needed, or car speakers through bluetooth.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
Not just 3G, HSDPA. If Apple have any feel for the market in Europe and Asia that's what we'll get.

Do you have any sense of the interest for the iPhone in the UK? Have you heard co-workers talking about it? Living in the US the buzz is real, but we are getting the phone in 2 months. Anyone have any anecdotes they care to share?

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
I agree a solid GPS would be fantastic. Imagine Apple with a turn by turn GPS that pipes directions with the new Leopard text to speach voice through your headphones as needed, or car speakers through bluetooth.

GPS is a great idea for iPhone 1.2. Being able to capture location data can make all sorts of fun things work.

akabenlee

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2007
selective ringing

i would like the ability to set the ringer to silent but allow certain numbers to come through. for instance if i were in a meeting i'd want my phone on silent except if i were waiting for an important phone call that would come through on vibrate perhaps. or, at night i would set it to silent so the ringer wouldn't wake up any family but i could set it to allow certain numbers to come through, like family members in case of emergencies. all with the ability to save these presets.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Do you have any sense of the interest for the iPhone in the UK? Have you heard co-workers talking about it? Living in the US the buzz is real, but we are getting the phone in 2 months. Anyone have any anecdotes they care to share?

i think in europe the buzz phone this spring is nokia n95. it was the best selling phone in the uk the week it was made available and i think it still is.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Um, so does the iPhone not have 3G? If that's the case, the Internet speed is going to be terrible. Terrible.

I think the Nokia N95 is the benchmark for features:

GPS
3G (compulsory on smartphones now)
5 megapixel camera (with Carl Zeiss optics)
Built in maps for over 100 countries
TV Out
Stereo FM radio
Office document viewer

If the iPhone comes out in June and doesn't have at least some of these features, it's already obsolete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.