Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
i think in europe the buzz phone this spring is nokia n95. it was the best selling phone in the uk the week it was made available and i think it still is.

Oh, you beat me to it! Yep the N95 has it all... as per my post above...

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
I like the GPS idea.

I would really like iChat on it, reguardless if it deals with disconnections alright or not. Living on campus, I have Wifi everywhere, and this would save me the hassle of carrying my mac everywhere when I need to talk (see: text) people's computers.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Not just 3G, HSDPA.
hsdpa is 3g.

If you could add 1 feature besides more storage or 3G what would you add and why?
Despite the above...3g 3g 3g 3g 3g 3g 3g 3g 3g ...maybe it's time to use an infinite loop.

Honestly. Apple. A phone without 3g and instead with EDGE? It's outdated before it even hits the market! I just can't believe how Apple makes EDGE sound so appealing. Cingular already has an HSDPA network that's growing every day and already covers major cities, and would it really kill to include it? :confused: Some service providers are considering HSDPA successor HSOPA deployment in a couple of years.

ffs, the blackjack has HSDPA support. !!!

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
here in OZ and I suspect most of the world apart from the US its ALL 3G, it is difficult not to get it.

Now 3 (in oz at least) has launched a monthly data limit similar to most broad band cable plans so its far more attractive to actually start using the internet on our phones. (Most people don't use it as its per second or per minute charges which frightens most of us )

I know the thread was prefaced with 'apart from 3 G' but that is pretty fundemental and will limit iphones success outside teh US-surely 3G will come soon.

I agree they have to match or better the N95 specs now. (however it looks clunky compared to the sexy iphone) The advert is over the top too all spiritual like the N95 is the second coming or something (all 'what can change the world but doesn't utter a word' type of crap). Sorry off track again

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
As for other features why not a simple LED torch and engraving the back with a ruler (ok its only small but its amazing how often you need to measure things, and its free ) Or they could engrave the back with useful telephone numbers, addresses for your country or conversions like mile to Km

Tristano

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2007
This is brilliant, and I had not thought of this but I agree with you 100%...

i would like the ability to set the ringer to silent but allow certain numbers to come through. for instance if i were in a meeting i'd want my phone on silent except if i were waiting for an important phone call that would come through on vibrate perhaps. or, at night i would set it to silent so the ringer wouldn't wake up any family but i could set it to allow certain numbers to come through, like family members in case of emergencies. all with the ability to save these presets.

jeffreyfort

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Findlay, Ohio
my treo/verizon contract is up in May, but I cannot switch until iPhone has voice dialing. Can you imagine trying to dial the iPhone while driving? I would also miss my TomTom that's in the Treo.

redrider307

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Two features I'd like to see in the iPhone (maybe these exist and I just don't know about them).

Voice to text message -- sometimes you just want to text a long message but not speak to the person. What if you could DICTATE your text and then send it away.

Direct to voice mail -- Leave a voice message for someone without actually calling them. I would love to be able to route a short voice message DIRECTLY to someone's voicemail to avoid calling and chancing that they'll be there.

Any thoughts? Do they features already exist?

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I'd make it available to all carriers. I think then Apple would have a better chance at success with it.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
i would like the ability to set the ringer to silent but allow certain numbers to come through. for instance if i were in a meeting i'd want my phone on silent except if i were waiting for an important phone call that would come through on vibrate perhaps. or, at night i would set it to silent so the ringer wouldn't wake up any family but i could set it to allow certain numbers to come through, like family members in case of emergencies. all with the ability to save these presets.

This is the greatest thing ever...
...well except of course if it had a teleportation feature

ddaniel

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
This is a small feature, but i'd love to see a flash that could be used as a flashlight.

One of my old phones had this feature and it really came in handy when trying to find something in the dark (Seriously, how many times do you open your phone and use the screen for the little bit of light it provides?)

Plus then the camera would be a bit better...

A taser would be cool too

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
3G
GPS
16GB memory
iPod game support
Removable battery
A mini version of iLife
Microsoft Office support
A 3 mega pixel camera (or higher)
A camera on the front for iChatting
A non-contract version (pay-as-you-go)
Vibration (if it does not already have it)
Direct downloads from iTunes Music Store
Flash for camera (also can be used as a torch/flashlight)

Maybe i'll have to wait for the iPhone 2 for all of those...

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Tom B., good list. Here's my take on it:

GPS - possibly, but it remains to be seen how GPS-aware Leopard is. There were rumors about it being very geo-oriented.
16GB memory - absolutely, and it's certainly coming.
iPod game support - I think we'll see even better iPhone games.
Removable battery - No chance, sorry.
A mini version of iLife - depends on what apps you have in mind. "Mini versions" of iTunes and iPhoto are already on it. iDVD wouldn't make sense; iMovie and GarageBand are almost equally pointless; same goes for iWeb.
Microsoft Office support - Eh. As much as iWork will support it, I suppose. I've worked in an all-MS software development office for years, and I almost never have to (or want to) open Office documents on a mobile device.
A 3 mega pixel camera (or higher) - my main camera for years was a 2 Mpx Canon, and it took awesome pictures. I'd like good optics at any Mpx.
A camera on the front for iChatting - Yup. I don't like the idea of two cameras - I've never seen this problem solved elegantly on any mobile.
A non-contract version (pay-as-you-go) - Not interested in it personally, not sure how many people are.
Vibration (if it does not already have it) - Pretty sure it has it; there is a "silent mode", in any case. My guess is it's not a very "sexy" feature so it hasn't been advertised.
Direct downloads from iTunes Music Store - Not for another year or two, at least. This would be slow and drain your battery. We don't have the technology to make it enjoyable yet.
Flash for camera (also can be used as a torch/flashlight) - With a screen that big and bright, why not just use IT as a flashlight? I've used a 3G iPod to walk through the woods.

"Maybe i'll have to wait for the iPhone 2 for all of those..."

Some of them might be available as iPhone 1G is revised - increased storage, for instance, and all the software features.

Don't be afraid to be an early adopter - you'll get the coolest features right away, and you'll buy the second generation anyway, after you sell the first iPhone for a good fraction of its price :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.