what features of iOS4 do you use? seriously.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Jan 21, 2011.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i like the features that Apple added to the iPhone 4/iOS4, but as months go on, i find myself hardly using them at all.

now before anybody says why do i have an iPhone 4 then, well, i got a free upgrade (don't ask how) ;)

i find myself reverting back to iOS3 life.

my home screen looks something like this :eek:

[​IMG]
    it looks best like this. plus, your background is covered by a bunch of icons so a background is pointless.

the multi-tasking. ya its cool but i've probably used it a few times, and the majority of that was to SHOW the feature, and not use it to my advantage.

i find it easier to just go to the home screen and find the app i want. i know where all my apps are placed, whereas in the multi-tasking dock they're sorted by recently used.

which brings me to this... the only features i use from iOS4 is..

rotation lock
    folders
    HD video camera

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I use rotation lock, folders, the multitasking bar, pretty much everything that they added. :p I love iOS 4.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well with multi tasking, the ui is not what is important. The fact that you can leave any app, go to another, come back to the original, and pick up right where you left off is great! I can play games, answer a text msg, then pick up the game without having to restart it. That is by far the most useful feature of iOS 4.

4. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I love being able to multitask. Great for texting and doing other things in between texts.

I like folders, somewhat, and rotation lock too. iOS4 is great.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Your using multi-tasking way more then you think. If the app supports it it does not matter if you relaunch it from the multi-task bar or from the screen. It does the same thing.

All the icons I had on my first screen are in a folder in the bottom dock so I can get to then on any screen. Now my first screen is blank so I now can enjoy my wallpaper.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. err404 macrumors 68020

I agree that the double tab launch bar is a bit ill conceived, but even using the method you mention above iOS4 provides a massive improvement via fast task switching. I find iOS4 to be more striking in its under the hood changes. Applications are better aware of each other and can share files, apps 'launch instantly via fast task switching, app refinements like the unified inbox, better location services, seamless audio backgrounding, task completion for more reliable exits... the list goes on.

8. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Multitasking, folders and background wallpaper

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

TheSpaz returneth!?

What's not to love about what you mentioned, OP? I've also found FaceTime useful.....especially on 3G :). Yeah, jailbroke.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Rotation lock.
    Ipod Controls.
    Multi-tasking.
    Folders.
    Find on Page.
    Background wallpaper.

Most of the new features. It was a good update. Now we just need cloud streaming, overhauled notifications, dynamic lock screen and wireless syncing.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My dearest -aggie- the same thing I was thinking, the same thing....

12. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i think it's funny that people still mention him haha

folders, wallpaper, multitasking

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I use the most.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Is he the dude that's still on something like 2.2.1?

15. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

ya you're right, i should've been more specific. i don't use the multi-tasking menu.

lol, check out the date i signed up ;)

i don't use facetime. i think i've used it 3-4 times to try it out with other people.

haha. no it's not thespaz.

speaking of him, i haven't spoken to him in some time actually! maybe i should go on aim once in a while.

16. techluvr macrumors regular

The other day I was actually replied to by someone by the name of thespazz. Relatively high post count (I think), 6502 something as his title. Anyway, I use pretty much all of the features.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I talk to him on here when he gets a new name, but he eventually gets banned again when he starts posting the same old stuff that irritates some people.

18. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol people on here are just immature. i don't understand, he's just creating discussion and he gets banned. the people that should be banned are the ones that reply with useless comments like "thespaz thread :rolleyes: " and etc. that's what provokes the negativity, i wish the mods saw this.

he makes some good points, and also bad. i don't 100% agree with everything, but i don't go bash the guy.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True he makes his points, but doesn't know when to let up and has severe OCD. I kid you not when I say there was one week when 17 threads of TheSpaz could be seen about tiny defects in a new iPhone. He'd post the story of how he bothered the Geniuses or made himself a martyr until he got a "perfect" one. That never lasted as in 3 hours he always found a new defect.

That and when iPhone OS 3 came out he would never stop and talk about how iPhone OS 2.2.1 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I still bet that to this day, even if he was using an iPhone 4, he would still complain on how iPhone OS 4.1.0 is much slower than iPhone OS 2.2.1.

That are the reasons why he got banned. Not because of his points, but because he was too obsessed and also blatantly insulted anyone with a difference of opinion than his.

20. KSKENE247 macrumors member

i use multi tasking to close everything cause my iphone is slow without it, i use folders to put all the useless apps i dont use in one, like stocks, itunes, compass, and voice memos, i actually use ipod controls and i made it so i can see my battery percentage wooh!!

21. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I can echo what has been said before by saying that multitasking is by far the feature that I appreciate and use the most.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

As far as iPhone OS features go, well the following:

• Multitasking
    • Simultaneous Voice/Data
    • Folders
    • Picture/Video Geotagging
    • Visual Voicemail - I use this one heavily due to a home business.
    • Compass

23. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The multitasking toolbar is the very least important part of iOS 4's multitasking features. I use multitasking every day. I don't necessarily use the bar, but the ability to stream audio in the background, run navigation software in the background, return the the same point in games and apps when interrupted, return to webpages without reloading...all have made my iPhone a far more productive tool.

I use most of the other new features supported by my 3GS, but multitasking is simply the greatest addition to iOS since apps.

24. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

You barely use multitasking? Seriously? I hated not having it. I also have lots of folders.

25. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I use practically all the features on the iOS 4 I love it.:apple: