Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What features would you most like to see in the next iPads?

• Amoled screen

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Smaller bezel or bezel lesss

Votes: 60 47.6%
  • A10x processor

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • More ram

Votes: 64 50.8%
  • 3D Touch

Votes: 48 38.1%
  • Faster Touch ID

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • Larger screens

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Increased battery life (more than 10 hours)

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • New home button like the one on the iPhone 7/7 plus

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • New colours (jet black and matte black)

Votes: 39 31.0%

• Total voters

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
i would love to see 8gb ram

system wide ICC color calibration ability

better stylus feel (slick glass not good) make the initial actuvation force better, it feels like a leaky pen right now

floating cursor, its hard to get good drawing accuracy without one.

better palm rejection

more battery life. i only got 4-6 hours depending on brightness on my 12.9 before i sold it

included fast charger

its a sweet tablet cant wait to try the ipad pro 2!
[doublepost=1486101175][/doublepost]oh,i wanted to add a "screen" mode. plug into your mac and mirror OSX. that would be sweet. the app astropad does it but its not the best solution. we need hardware screen capture and a faster interface.

YES!!!!! Except the floating cursor. I find them intrusive and distracting. if they were to add such a thing I hope it would have the ability to be turned off.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Many of the wishes posted are not coming with the next model refresh.

Incremental updates...except for the 10.5" edition. There we will see a little more, but still...

Last edited:

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I expect we'll see a faster CPU/GPU and more memory. The things I want most in my iPad are all software based.

Better multi-tasking. Easy drag and drop. Make it easier to share files across different apps. Upgrade Pages to include all of the features from Pages '09, especially linked text boxes. Add more drawing tools to Keynote and Pages. Give Keynote a timeline like in GarageBand. Give Keynote the ability to manage layers when editing a slide.

Port iBooks Author to the iPad. Give iBA and Pages a cross reference feature to link figures for images and graphics with their references in the text. Allow for hyperlinks inside of text boxes.

Make it easy to find an app. Add a get info feature for apps including show in App Store.

Improve Siri. Give us the option to add specialized vocabularies such as science, engineering, law and medicine.

One word: AppleScript.

Just off the top of my head.
In addition to specialized vocabularies, just put Siri on the device as an app. I'm just tired, and a bit paranoid of having to send my voice to Apple to be deciphered, and then come back to my device so it can be executed on. Microsoft did it 15 years ago with VoiceCommand.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Battery Life all the way. The iPad Pro is capable of doing so much to the point I have yet to hear of someone running it to peak capacity, but the battery life needs improving. I am tired of " all day battery life " it is pathetic marketing drivel. It needs to last at least 1 whole day on a charge that is 24 hours not 8-10 depending on what you do. I want to be able to work the Hell out of it at work and then take it home and still have at least 55% left. in 2017 that is not a lot to ask for.

Make it thicker and chuck some battery in to it using the new tiered layering system and see what you can really do. I get the feeling each iPad is getting limited now just to be able to sell the next.

I met a guy who won a SWatch 3 or whatever its called. I asked him how long the battery lasts he told me a week .... I struggle to get a day out of an Apple Watch. Thats how I feel with the iPad at the moment. It literally has everything else I need now.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Battery Life all the way. The iPad Pro is capable of doing so much to the point I have yet to hear of someone running it to peak capacity, but the battery life needs improving. I am tired of " all day battery life " it is pathetic marketing drivel. It needs to last at least 1 whole day on a charge that is 24 hours not 8-10 depending on what you do. I want to be able to work the Hell out of it at work and then take it home and still have at least 55% left. in 2017 that is not a lot to ask for.

Make it thicker and chuck some battery in to it using the new tiered layering system and see what you can really do. I get the feeling each iPad is getting limited now just to be able to sell the next.

I met a guy who won a SWatch 3 or whatever its called. I asked him how long the battery lasts he told me a week .... I struggle to get a day out of an Apple Watch. Thats how I feel with the iPad at the moment. It literally has everything else I need now.
Weird that you have issues with battery on Apple Watch, I usually end the day with 40% left. But I agree, specs for iPad Pros are fine. If they just add more RAM and a new processor there will be no difference other than bragging rights about RAM and processor :p

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

This guy gets it. The battery needs to be bigger.

Will we see it in the next refresh?...one can only hope.

dave2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Canberra
My individual wish list
- New iPad only iOS that has more features
- Water resistance.

If I could torrent on an iPad, I could probably do away with a PC altogether, so I don't anticipate Apple will do this.

It will be tempting to go from owning 3 devices: MacBook, iPhone 7 and iPad Mini 4 to just 2 if they are released this year: a Galaxy S8 Edge (torrents) and iPad Pro 13" (2017)

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
YES!!!!! Except the floating cursor. I find them intrusive and distracting. if they were to add such a thing I hope it would have the ability to be turned off.

For sure, not everyone like them. More options are better, IMO. I just find the apple pencil lacks accuracy at times.

But I spend most my time on wacom cintiq so I'm used to the extreme pin point accuracy.
[doublepost=1486411785][/doublepost]

Yeah man, I only got 4-5 hours on mine! I have a bright house so I needed upper brightness levels. I picked up a fast charger and that helped me get through the day. But it was pretty dissapointing

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
I guess this would fall under new color... but here goes...
The one thing I have wanted every year is simple and cost Apple virtually nothing.

Let me pick BOTH front and back colors across the entire iPad(and iPhone) line.

Is it really that hard?

I mean C'mon all ready....

Reactions: vddobrev

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I guess this would fall under new color... but here goes...
The one thing I have wanted every year is simple and cost Apple virtually nothing.

Let me pick BOTH front and back colors across the entire iPad(and iPhone) line.

Is it really that hard?

I mean C'mon all ready....
It would exponentially increase the already large number of SKUs for the iPad line, so it would definitely cost them.

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
For all models:

-More Ram
-Iphone 7 button
-Speedier processor

Fairly basic. Eventually Amoled but that's going to be pricey.

If all models went bezel-less but stayed the same size, I'd think about a Mini, with that much more of a bigger screen (assuming it got the upgraded internals of a current-gen Pro (minus pencil support)).

But as many here have said, the limitations of IOS is really dragging down the Ipad more than anything else; hardware is no longer a bottleneck, without proper file structures and other tasks that are somewhat cumbersome.

bytecurious

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017
But as many here have said, the limitations of IOS is really dragging down the Ipad more than anything else;

I feel that the inclusion of window management has made the biggest difference.

Here's a feature I can't believe hasn't been added yet:

When a keyboard is connected and I type a message in iMessage, there's no "send" key, I actually have to reach to the iPad and press the send button on the screen. Absurd.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
For the Pro i think the following

True Tone - 12.9" (it's already on the 9.7" iPad Pro)
Less bezel - would be nice
3D Touch - Would make the iPad even more usual for productivity
New colours - Jet black, matt black or maybe a nice red colour would be great

i also think new software features such as being able to write on the screen and within apps like safari and so on would be nice (it has been rumoured that Apple have been looking at that for a possible IOS 11 feature).

Apple Pencil 2 would be nice with somewhere to put the Pencil like being able to clip it to the side of the iPad or attach with magnets, an eraser on the end would also be nice.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'd take the current iPad Pro 9.7 + 4GB of ram + 10X + the mute button being added back and I would be a happy as pie.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It would exponentially increase the already large number of SKUs for the iPad line, so it would definitely cost them.
Not really. It would just double them. Each back color comes with one option for the front color, but then there's only one other color it could be.

When a keyboard is connected and I type a message in iMessage, there's no "send" key, I actually have to reach to the iPad and press the send button on the screen. Absurd.
Does TAB + ENTER not work?

sadxrad

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016

I use an Apple Wireless Keyboard and simply hitting the return key sends my message.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It would be nice to have raise to wake on a damn iPad. I have no idea why they just left it out. But thats software. Hardware wise, I'm in the minority that pretty much (aside from a few iOS bugs ) loves my 9.7 Pro. The split screen app switching needs some work but its functional at the moment.
I think no bezel would create more problems and they better not go to the slippery rounded edges like the current iPhones....

My big wants are MORE accessories. Why is there no Apple iPad dock? More smart connector accessories? Looking forward to a new smart keyboard and Apple Pencil 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.