Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I got some really nice gifts for people this year but I think I’m most excited about a cheap flashlight that projects colorful specs that dance across the ceiling. My 3 year old nephew should love that. I also got a few Randal Munroe books for the older nephews on the boyfriends side. I really hope they like them.

What about you? What are you most excited to give this year?

Reactions: myscrnnm

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm giving my Brother a pool stick. I didn't know he got into Pool, so i'm excited to ask the question and maybe get to know him better.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I don’t give (or receive gifts). That way there is less landfill.

Been trying to get my wife's family to stop giving me stuff I don't want or need* for 20+ years. So far I have been unsucessful :(

* An example: I have a full home theater with a higher end programmable remote that sits on a charge cradle when not in use. My BIL has used that remote many times and put it back in the cradle. But about 5 years ago they gave me a remote caddy to hold all my remotes. :rolleyes:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Been trying to get my wife's family to stop giving me stuff I don't want or need* for 20+ years. So far I have been unsucessful :(

* An example: I have a full home theater with a higher end programmable remote that sits on a charge cradle when not in use. My BIL has used that remote many times and put it back in the cradle. But about 5 years ago they gave me a remote caddy to hold all my remotes. :rolleyes:
One of the many plus’s of not celebrating Xmas. People don’t ask what crap I want. If I want something I’d buy it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love Christmas, and I look forward to getting my kids and wife gifts. We use an application called giftster that makes life so much easier. We all put what want, someone can reserve the item or just buy it. What's great about this site is you plug in the URL where you can buy the item, so basically you have the opportunity to but it from giftster.

As for specifics, as others stated, we usually buy anything we need or want throughout the year, but there are items that I want to get for my wife and kids. My kids are eager for some chuck taylor sneakers - something I know nothing of, but will get what they want. As for the wife, she really loves getting things that allow her to be pampered, like facials, massages etc.

I'm a huge believer the its better to give then receive. My kids have embraced this ideal. They get so excited in wanting their mother or myself to open our gifts. They put so much effort and love into their choices, its a wonderful time for us.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I don’t give (or receive gifts). That way there is less landfill.
Same. Pulled the talked politics at Thanksgiving dinner ploy to get out of gift giving.😅 My New Year's resolution is to mend bridges with family. Then I can start the whole cycle up again.😏

I refuse to support the continued commercializaton of Christmas until it ends its illegal occupation of October and November. This year it has started encroaching on September.😖

Reactions: MBAir2010

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
We (my family) don't support the commercialization of Christmas. What we do is to bring as much as the family together and celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. Plenty of foods of various kinds, and opening presents by the Christmas tree. Our "kids" have their own families, and two of them live in other US States far from us, while two sons live nearby. Our daughters get "homesick" (missing Christmas with their father and mother) during Christmas.

However, if planning to present a loved one with any gift (a laptop, automobile, jewelry, or even an iPad for your kid) there isn't anything wrong by taking advantage of the Thanksgiving or even Christmas sales. Now, on Valentine's day one could very well bring abortion and politics to the table, specially if some family members are drunk and "armed" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Same. Pulled the talked politics at Thanksgiving dinner ploy to get out of gift giving.😅 My New Year's resolution is to mend bridges with family. Then I can start the whole cycle up again.😏

I refuse to support the continued commercializaton of Christmas until it ends its illegal occupation of October and November. This year it has started encroaching on September.😖
I only have my Mum and Dad that are family besides Mrs AFB AFB (she doesn't even have that). Jettisoned the extended family 30 odd years ago. Have no need for them or they of me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We (my family) don't support the commercialization of Christmas. What we do is to bring as much as the family together and celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. Plenty of foods of various kinds, and opening presents by the Christmas tree. Our "kids" have their own families, and two of them live in other US States far from us, while two sons live nearby. Our daughters get "homesick" (missing Christmas with their father and mother) during Christmas.

However, if planning to present a loved one with any gift (a laptop, automobile, jewelry, or even an iPad for your kid) there isn't anything wrong by taking advantage of the Thanksgiving or even Christmas sales. Now, on Valentine's day one could very well bring abortion and politics to the table, specially if some family members are drunk and "armed" :)
Mrs AFB can't do normal foods let alone anything special so for us its just another day.
I'll probably just wash the car or something.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Ever try to make, “A Christmas Carol”, Christmas dinner?

You should consider that. Just to try out traditional Victorian recipes. Just once though. Because Victorian food tastes horrible, is loaded with booze and goose is darned expensive. At least you’ll know what gave English cuisine a bad name.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
One of the many plus’s of not celebrating Xmas. People don’t ask what crap I want. If I want something I’d buy it.

Exactly!!!!

I don't mind celebrating Christmas, although I understand why some may not. I just don't want it to be just about the gifts. As an only child, I usually got one "big" gift ( a bike or TV or similar) and then some smaller stuff. But my wife had 6 in her family plus a large extended family. And it was all about the number of gifts.

One year my nephew wanted one thing. A pair of some named branded boots that all the kids were wearing. They were around $150. Did he get them? Nope. His mom instead bought him a pair of knockoffs and a bunch of stuff he didn't want and ended up spending way more than the cost of what he actually wanted. I actually felt sorry for him that morning. My sisters brother and I split the cost and he took him to get the ones he wanted. But for his mom it was all about the number of gifts.

And my MIL is about as immature as a child when it comes to gifts. The Christmas of my daughter's 8th grade year, I bought her a refurbed 13" MBP. My MIL actually made a snide comment about how she would have liked one of those. :(

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
We don't exchange gifts at all at anytime. Mrs AFB has access to the joint bank account. Why would I need to buy her something to show her how I feel.

We buy each other a "joint" present. Something that we both want and can use. Last year it was an Ooni pizza oven. This year it will be something for the new house. I'll get her some new pajamas or something and she will get me a couple of new TB t-shirts but that is it.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
We don't exchange gifts at all at anytime. Mrs AFB has access to the joint bank account. Why would I need to buy her something to show her how I feel.
Every person in the family is different form the rest, each with a different set of values. Gifts do not alway have to be things of monetary value, but words, support through life and death, and so on. We celebrate Christmas not just to exchange gifts. The gifts are "the icing on the cake."

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
We buy each other a "joint" present. Something that we both want and can use. Last year it was an Ooni pizza oven. This year it will be something for the new house. I'll get her some new pajamas or something and she will get me a couple of new TB t-shirts but that is it.
We do that, too. My wife has "gifted" me chainsaws, tools, clothing, and so on. I dislike shopping for clothing. Well...I dislike shopping, and don't need any gifts for Christmas or any other occasion, including my birthday. But my wife buys the clothings and things that I like the most. "You better believe" that I appreciate what she does for me quite a great deal. I do the same for her, except for clothing. She feels the same way I do about receiving gifts, so sometimes I just buy her things that she enjoys wearing.

Now there isn't a couple where both think exactly alike and appreciate exactly the same things each time. My wife and I have been married for over 35 years, and I would never assume that the way she feels about Christmas, "giving," and things like that is exactly the same as the way I feel about it. :)

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Ever try to make, “A Christmas Carol”, Christmas dinner?

You should consider that. Just to try out traditional Victorian recipes. Just once though. Because Victorian food tastes horrible, is loaded with booze and goose is darned expensive. At least you’ll know what gave English cuisine a bad name.
It does sound interesting, and would not mind trying it at home, but my wife does not touch anything that has alcohol, including the red wine I like with dinner. She likes a roasted boneless turkey breast (organic, too), cranberry sauce, baked of mashed potato, various kinds or fruit peeled and cut, plus a cup or warm organic milk. I spend a few hours preparing a big dinner, but she bakes some delicious chocolate cream pies, and organic "devil eggs." I eat the foods she likes, but I favor a piece of a good quality boneless ribeye roast that I have refrigerated overnight after rubbing a layer of spices: rosemary, thyme, garlic, "Montreal Steak" spice, and Italian-style vinaigrette (I love Italian foods too). :)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I dont remember buying a Christmas gift for anyone this century
Same here. But, whoa boy, do I remember Black Friday 1996.😬 Not my proudest moment, but won a battle royale for the last Tickle Me Elmo toy in the shop. There was also Black Friday 1983. Once again, I participated in a battle royale for a handful of Cabbage Patch Kid doll. Mission failed, mission failed.🤕🤕🤕

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A non-tech-oriented friend, despite saying she has trouble learning new tricks, switched from a PC to a MacBook Pro, but she is having trouble using the trackpad. Giving her a mouse might be a kind gesture.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
A non-tech-oriented friend, despite saying she has trouble learning new tricks, switched from a PC to a MacBook Pro, but she is having trouble using the trackpad. Giving her a mouse might be a kind gesture.
You should get her a Magic Trackpad as a gag gift.😂 I've never understood how people have trouble using the MacBook trackpads, as I find them much more responsive than most of the touchpads used on PC notebooks (and this is coming from someone who used Windows PCs for most of his life). But then again, I'm also a contrarian who actually likes the ThinkPad TrackPoint.

Ordered this Harrods hamper for my parents for Christmas this year.
17503410_41794379_2048.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.