Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I believe they use that DNS for a simplified version of MR to decrease bandwidth during high-volume events, but I think they got new servers since then.

I could be wrong.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
iGary said:
I believe they use that DNS for a simplified version of MR to decrease bandwidth during high-volume events, but I think they got new servers since then.

I could be wrong.

I agree, that is what I have always thought that they used it for...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
edesignuk said:
MacRumorsLive.com is for (funny enough) Mac related Live events. Keep watching ;)

damn. I thought it was going to be something a little more kinky. :D

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I wasn't asking what MacRumoursLive is for, I'm asking what happened to it? It was only used for WWDC 2005, ignored for the past 2 media events, and there's no word for using it for Macworld.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacRumorsLive will be used for MacWorld SF.

We didn't really have live feeds for the past two. Don't worry. All things are in place for it. We're going to have a test run of it come sunday. I'll post times later for people to come watch.

arn

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
arn said:
MacRumorsLive will be used for MacWorld SF.

We didn't really have live feeds for the past two. Don't worry. All things are in place for it. We're going to have a test run of it come sunday. I'll post times later for people to come watch.

arn
Thanks for the reply arn!

I hope I'll get to use it this time, because at WWDC I had to leave the house, and missed the live coverage.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Voidness said:
I wasn't asking what MacRumoursLive is for, I'm asking what happened to it? It was only used for WWDC 2005, ignored for the past 2 media events, and there's no word for using it for Macworld.

There's two parts to the MacRumorsLive system - the live update software and the server infrastructure that is designed to handle extreme loads. The infrastructure was used for the media event in October (it mirrored the front page and all images etc.; handling 800 hits/second for that event) but as arn mentioned, there wasn't any live feed so we couldn't use the live update part of the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.