What happened to Music app?!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Triangle Man, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Triangle Man macrumors member

I'm trying to make a playlist on my iPhone, and I have to choose each song individually one at a time!!

In the past, I could just go to an album and add all the songs from that album with one button!

What happened! This is so cumbersome now! Ugh.

I'm also not enjoying the new artist view where you can't just pick an album and show only the songs from that album, you have to scroll and scroll and scroll until you find the album you want to listen to. I didn't have a problem with iOS 7 until now. This totally sucks!

2. MrGuder macrumors 68020

The Music App is the only reason holding me back from upgrading to ios7. All I hear is how people don't like the music app or apple just neglected the music app in ios7 that I just can't have that with my music library. It need to be like ios6 or better and I'm not hearing from folks that it's better. The Music App should have been top priority for making it perfect. I don't understand it.

I have over 40 gigs of music on my iPhone 5 and use it everyday in my car, walking, etc..

I love the Music App on ios6. Why did they mess it up so bad in ios7?? It's keeping me from updating.

3. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

Welcome to the club. iOS 7 Music is an abomination. We've been browsing our music collections like how you described for over a decade (since the 1st iPod) and then suddenly Apple says "Nope! Now you have to browse your music like this! Even though it sucks and is slower...and we don't give you the option to categorize it the traditional way!"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601540

4. me7 macrumors regular

5. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

Yes it sucks. I also hate the tiled panoramic album view when the screen is horizontal. Makes it harder to get through your albums, as it always defaults to the "A" albums instead of what you are currently listening to.

Also browsing through an artists' albums is a pain, you have to scroll down through all the songs through each individual album, instead of tapping once on the album you want to listen to. If you listen to jazz then you know how long it can take to get that one album you want to hear.

I've been thinking about getting a third party app until this crap is fixed, but haven't had time.

6. jacobss macrumors 6502

The music app in iOS 7 is a joke! I use the last fm scrobbler app to listen to music.

7. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

8. pasqualino macrumors member

i have "show all music" turned off, but i can't seem to delete songs that were streamed when i had "show all music" turned on. swipe to delete doesn't work. annoying.

9. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

If you're listening to music while you drive, or in some other situation where you don't want to look at the screen to control playback, try LeechTunes. It has a pretty interface, and turns the entire touchscreen into a control interface. Just tap anywhere on the screen to pause/play. Slide your finger up or down anywhere on the screen to adjust volume. Swipe left or right anywhere on the screen to go to the next and previous song. All gestures are completely customizable, too, as is the background, font, etc.

[​IMG]

10. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

You can add a whole album, just go to albums and press the + button. Simple.

11. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

At least lyrics display is back, which was my main annoyance. Although the navigation between lyrics/now playing/ratings/track list leaves a lot to be desired.

12. me7 macrumors regular

Simple if you have only a few albums on your device. If you have hundreds of albums, scrolling through them all is ridiculous.

13. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Screenshot, please. iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.3 here and that option does not exist like before. (Hasn't been in any iOS 7 version for me)

14. me7 macrumors regular

He means from the "All albums" screen, where you see all albums without filtering by artist. Strictly speaking his tip is correct, but that screen is practically useless because you need to scroll through dozens or even hundreds of albums to find the one you need.

15. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

The last thing I want to do is contradict anyone who says the new Music app blows, but....

Making playlists used to be even worse, IMO. Unlike the usual browsing for songs, where you could quickly zoom to songs starting with, e.g. "Z", using the alpha-scroll on the side, when making a playlist there was no such zoom capability. You had to manually scroll all the way to the Z's. This was true for Artists and Albums lists, too. So, at least they stopped THAT insanity.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's interesting how other people use the music app. For me I just create playlists using my MB and iTunes and sync it once. I seldom do any creating/modifying of playlists while on the go. From time to time I may remove a song but that's about it.

17. luckysob macrumors regular

Song ratings on the new Music app is horrible. Dig three levels down, select the rating, and then back three levels back out. Old version of touching the upper right corner when the song is playing, making the rating, and flipping the 'album cover' back over was superior.

18. gtelware macrumors newbie

19. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I use both soundhound and denon audio apps which have basic music players similar to ios6 were the artist albums are collapsed and not expanded like in ios 7 for endless scrolling. Be sure to let apple know their new music app is crap and hopefully they'll change it back.

20. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

I'm not sure what you mean here by digging down three levels? When I open the music app while it's playing, I tap the title of the song and the star rating shows up. Rate it, tap it again and the title returns.

You can also tap the album art to do this, provided there isn't lyrics loaded for that song.

----------

Someone posted about this app in another thread and I liked the look. Now that it's been redesigned to match iOS 7 I like it even more. Just one question remains before I drop $2: Does it allow me to rate songs within the app, or would I still need to do that in the native app?

21. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I never make playlists on my iPod. I just make one in iTunes then sync over wifi. Sure sometimes you are not around your computer to do so but when I am that is how I make playlists.

I do agree they should go back to the way it was before, it was way better.

22. Triangle Man thread starter macrumors member

I have a Mac Pro and I wanted to hang out with my fiancé on the couch, but I wanted to make a playlist and found it incredibly frustrating. So, then I went on my iPad hoping that maybe the music app was easier to use on the iPad... holy crap! It's the same exact thing! It used to take advantage of the larger screen, but now it's just the iPhone version blown up to the size of the iPad screen instead of an iPad-optimized app. How lame is that?

Anyways, after I was done making my playlist, I deleted a bunch of songs from it and those changes weren't uploaded to the cloud, so the next day most of the songs were still in the playlist when I had deleted them the night before. Ugh.

23. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Also, I do believe 7.0.3 has fixed the music app crashes. I've now been playing it on the way to and from work for two days and it hasn't crashed once. Unlike before where it would crash just about once every trip to/from work.

24. me7 macrumors regular

Same here. The crashes are gone, but the scrubbing bug is still there... and the artist view is still atrocious.

25. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Re: making playlists on the iDevice

The only time I do this is when I want to keep the music going while choosing new music to put in the queue. I'll do this when the family is hanging out, or while we're on a road trip; situations where you want to match an existing mood, which would be difficult to do with pre-made playlists. It's a nice way to rediscover music I have on my phone, too.