Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
For one thing, I can't find the option in "edit" to crop out a custom form. Now it has to be only ovals or rectangles. This is driving me insane! No instant alpha either.. I used edit tool quite frequently with certain images that I wanted transparent backgrounds..

Any idea how I can access those features in Mavericks? Are they gone forever?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
For one thing, I can't find the option in "edit" to crop out a custom form. Now it has to be only ovals or rectangles. This is driving me insane! No instant alpha either.. I used edit tool quite frequently with certain images that I wanted transparent backgrounds..

Any idea how I can access those features in Mavericks? Are they gone forever?

They all seem to be on the Edit Toolbar. (I believe -- I don't edit images in Preview.)

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
One thing I have noticed is that sometimes when the edit toolbar is open and I go to crop a picture the crop button is missing. I have to close and then re-open the toolbar to make it re-appear.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
This is what I'm looking for.. A little hard to see, but the icon has the shape of a person's profile or silhouette.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 543

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Instant Alpha is still there - second icon from the left after clicking Show Edit Toolbar. Also the custom edit is in the first icon from the left located at the bottom of the list.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Speaking of Preview in Mavericks, does anyone else have a problem scrolling 1-page PDF documents up and down, when the viewable area of the window is at least 800 pixels tall?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Speaking of Preview in Mavericks, does anyone else have a problem scrolling 1-page PDF documents up and down, when the viewable area of the window is at least 800 pixels tall?

Ah, yes! I didn't notice it until you mentioned it as I use the keyboard (arrow keys) and they work fine. Gestures and mouse scroll don't.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I noticed Preview problems today when trying to do a minor edit of a few JPG images (resize and adjust color). I updated from Mountain Lion to Mavericks a few days ago. Previously on ML Preview worked fine for minor edits of a JPG image.

Running only Preview and Activity Monitor, often Memory Used rises from about 3GB to the max near 8GB, memory pressure goes high, and Preview becomes slow to respond (although CPU load is low), and often will not respond as expected for example will not resize an image from 1024x768 to 2048x1536. Restarting Preview will help for a short time. Reboot does not help.

As another test, I have 3.26GB Memory Used running Safari with 2 windows and about 20 tabs. Then when I leave Safari running and I also edit a small JPG image file with Preview and do a resize and color adjust, memory used goes to 7.98GB and Preview is slow to respond, but it works. When I quit Preview, Memory Used goes back to 3.26GB.

I suspect a bug in Preview related to Mavericks.

macmacgoose

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I can't scroll with the trackpad. Either nothing moves or I have to wait 2 seconds before it scrolls. I am on the new late-2013 MBP with Mavericks. This choppiness of sluggishness is definitely unacceptable.

Where's the pan button? That is the setting I use the most.

Blotski

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
Problems with Preview

Is anyone else experiencing this problem when editing in the new Preview?

When I select on area using Lasso Selection then copy it - when I then paste it, it is not possible to move it. It just pastes in a random area and is stuck there. If I use the square to do the same it works OK but you can only resize the pasted area to scale ie you can't 'squash' it or change it's shape at all you can only adjust its size to scale.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Is anyone else experiencing this problem when editing in the new Preview?

When I select on area using Lasso Selection then copy it - when I then paste it, it is not possible to move it. It just pastes in a random area and is stuck there. If I use the square to do the same it works OK but you can only resize the pasted area to scale ie you can't 'squash' it or change it's shape at all you can only adjust its size to scale.

The cursor doesn't change like it should. Turn off the Edit toolbar and you can move it.

casadicapra

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
I also have the problem that it doesn't scroll properly. I always have to wait a few seconds.

Now I've installed two different PDF reader apps and it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I also have the problem that it doesn't scroll properly. I always have to wait a few seconds.

Now I've installed two different PDF reader apps and it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I think it must be Mavericks because I've had problems scrolling in a number of Apps since I updated to OS X 10.9. Problems with scrolling in Preview, Mail, Safari (not quite as bad as it was earlier though), Vienna RSS reader, iPhoto, Pages. Closing a program & reopening often helps, though not always.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I'm now thinking the problem might be Mavericks programs like Preview using too much RAM so lots of virtual memory gets used, normally that is OK if the Mac has lots of hard drive space but if there is low free hard drive space such as on my Mini it might be problematic.

For example, I have seen Preview alone using up to 17GB virtual memory doing a simple edit job, that seems excessive. I had only about 30GB free on a 500GB HD so maybe Mavericks had problems getting hard drive space to use as virtual memory. I have 8GB RAM which was enough before and Preview worked great in OSX Lion and Mountain Lion.

I will free up some HD space by deleting or archiving some big files and see if the Preview slowness and bugginess goes away.

I have searched and not found many others who have the same Preview issues as I have, maybe that is because most users have lots of free hard drive space.

***UPDATE Feb 25 2014*** I archived a lot of files so my HD has over 150GB free space and the Preview problem is still there. Even when Preview is the only application running and I am just doing a simple image edit it will often grab huge amounts of RAM and memory pressure goes high and it runs slowly. Sometimes the memory pressure stays high even after I quit Preview so no applications are running at all! Seems to me that either Preview or the Mavericks memory management system has issues that need to be fixed.

Last edited:

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
I'm now thinking the problem might be Mavericks programs like Preview using too much RAM so lots of virtual memory gets used, normally that is OK if the Mac has lots of hard drive space but if there is low free hard drive space such as on my Mini it might be problematic.

For example, I have seen Preview alone using up to 17GB virtual memory doing a simple edit job, that seems excessive. I had only about 30GB free on a 500GB HD so maybe Mavericks had problems getting hard drive space to use as virtual memory. I have 8GB RAM which was enough before and Preview worked great in OSX Lion and Mountain Lion.

I will free up some HD space by deleting or archiving some big files and see if the Preview slowness and bugginess goes away.

I have searched and not found many others who have the same Preview issues as I have, maybe that is because most users have lots of free hard drive space.

***UPDATE Feb 25 2014*** I archived a lot of files so my HD has over 150GB free space and the Preview problem is still there. Even when Preview is the only application running and I am just doing a simple image edit it will often grab huge amounts of RAM and memory pressure goes high and it runs slowly. Sometimes the memory pressure stays high even after I quit Preview so no applications are running at all! Seems to me that either Preview or the Mavericks memory management system has issues that need to be fixed.

But why would you want RAM over anyways? the thing with mavericks is it has a perfect RAM management when you open an application that requires a huge amount of ram, preview ram usage will go down.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I made Reader my default PDF app a while back, but lately it frequently freezes for several seconds when I switch back to a PDF from another doc. I can't find the way to make Preview my default PDF app. Did Mavericks move that setting? All of the how-tos I've found don't match the options I'm seeing.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I made Reader my default PDF app a while back, but lately it frequently freezes for several seconds when I switch back to a PDF from another doc. I can't find the way to make Preview my default PDF app. Did Mavericks move that setting? All of the how-tos I've found don't match the options I'm seeing.

Not moved. Select any pdf document in Finder and do a Get Info. Select Preview.app as the Open with selection and click on Change All.

DavidWeir

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
Preview not opening

When I try to open a document with Preview now, after recently upgrading to Mavericks, I get the following message:

The application "Preview" can't be opened. -10810

Any ideas? I've tried many different documents and always get the same message. The PDF files will open just fine with Adobe Reader.

3.1 Ghz i5 iMac

Thanks

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Just did a search. The 10810 error comes from having too many processes. Suggested solutions have been to delete the Preview preferences (plist) file, boot in safe mode to clean things up (hold down space bar when you boot), look in Activity Monitor for runaway processes (could be a browser causing it).

I'd try logging into another account (it is always a good idea to have a separate admin account for these things) and try running Preview to see if it's an issue with apps you have started in your account or other account configuration issues.

MacChuck

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
i updated to Mavericks 2 days ago, so I'm still discovering all the, umm... differences.

For now, we'll limit it to Preview.

I found a site that spells out the many QT Preview problems- codecs, converting...

And, while I don't edit photos in Preview, I use it (or used to) to look at photos- either single jpgs or as a slideshow.

Now, for single jpgs in quicklook, I get "An error occurred with the preview of this document", or if I click on one or several jpgs, Preview crashes.

Am i doing something wrong???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.