What happened to the "all new design" rumors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ramius, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Ramius macrumors 6502

Is there a brand new Macbook Air coming or not? And given that Apple has launched two new products this month, will there be an October event where they launch even more?

I need to upgrade this year and Im looking at Macbook air. But will waiting another two months be worth it?

I was hoping the rumors about the all new designed MBA to be true. That finally parts ways with the aluminum profile from 2008.

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

It is almost guaranteed that the redesign won't come until Broadwell, which has been pushed back until potentially 2015. Get what you need now. The new MBA may cost as much as double the current price (as little as $700 new) considering it will be 1st gen. If you have a computer that works for you right now, then don't stress about it.

Matt

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

There's likely to be an October event, but as Matt above has pointed out, don't expect that new fanless 12" rAir to be introduced. To continue to be able to keep a rumored rMBA light while being able to drive all these extra pixels, yet still have long battery life, ULV processors like the upcoming 14nm Broadwell are essential, and they're not slated to make an appearance till next spring, at the earliest.

Go ahead, and buy a spiffy new MBA without regrets. Better yet, check out the refurb store for some amazing savings on Apple-refurbished product with full warranty as well as return privileges. Cheers!

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Nothing has happened to the rumors. This article is only about a week old…

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/11/ultra-slim-macbook-colors/

5. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I dont' see them raising the price unless it's a completely new platform.

6. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

So a new MBA could come next spring?
    If you ask me that sounds like something which would make me regret buying one now.

I could wait untill spring perhaps. But all in all, nothing this year?

7. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

The key word is highlighted.

8. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

9. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Nothing further is expected this year, as far as the Air is concerned.

No matter when you buy, there's always something newer coming, sooner or later. Those who are always waiting for 'that next great thing', deprive themselves of ever enjoying anything.

As I mentioned before, if you want to spend as little as possible, in case you might wanne spring for the next great thing whenever that might come, check out the great deals in the refurb store.

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Get one now. The current Air design is tried and tested, and is quite frankly the best overall notebook on the market. All of the talk of a 12 inch retina model is purely speculation at this point. There are many factors involved. The current 11 and 13 inch Air models sell very well and are very affordable by Apple's standards. They are not just going to cut these models out of their lineup overnight, especially if they bring out a 12 inch fanless model. Personally, I do not believe the 12 inch model (if true) will be an Air, but may just be called a MacBook.

You also have to consider that first generation tech can sometimes have issues. The retina MBP took 2 or 3 refreshes before they seemed to iron out the retina issues that many users faced. With this rumored 12 inch fanless retina Mac, There may be similar problems with the first generation.

I think you would be better off getting an Air now, then seeing what transpires with the rumors as well as let the bugs be ironed out over the first release or two.

Also, Mac's hold their resale value unlike any other computer. If this new one comes, and you just have to have it, you can sell the Mac you bought, and then pick up the new one with little to no loss.

11. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

12. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by "platform"? A redesigned MBA would be a new product line, and Apple has always placed a premium on new product lines.

13. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Everybody has denied it before, even Apple. But because of the release of the larger iPhone 6 plus now, which people on this forum blames on evolution and change in customer habits and demand - I expect Apple to make a Macbook with touch screen like iPad. And merge OSX and iOS somehow.

It will have a keyboard that you can chose to use, or tuck away somehow, in a neatly Apple-only way. Microsoft has already done this, and more manufactureres are creating tablets like this.

The days of the laptop and touch device being separate objects are over. In my opinion - because technology has allowed both of these to become so thin, it shouldnt be a problem merging them together in a very neat package.

14. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Considering that Apple has publicly and extensively denied that claim within the last few months, I would be shocked if they released a touch computer in the next two years at least. There is no way they would bash a product that they were currently developing. It just doesn't make economic sense.

Matt

15. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Last few months? What are you talking about?
    The last time I heard them rejecting it was when Jobs was alive. Please provide source for this?

Apple also denied making a bigger phone, saying they were happy with their size. Then what do they do? Made the thing bigger three times the last years.

I mean if anything is more clear than ever before, its that Apple do not keep their promises at all.

16. cdubb80 macrumors member

You could always wait for the next big thing ...

I had a 2011 13in MBP that got 4 hours battery life and was a pain to lug to work every day... usually I buy and resell my MBP every other year, but I had been waiting since June 2013 for the new "retina MBA" based on rumours...

finally bit the bullet and bought at 13 in MBA last week, wish I had done it sooner

17. ColdShadow, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

No it wasn't just when Jobs was alive.
    Tim Cook has explicitly rejected the idea,here is a link from 2012 :
    http://www.macuser.co.uk/6295-cook-rules-out-touch-screen-macbook-air

Cook has ruled an Apple product which would combine the MacBook Air and the iPad. ‘You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user

Large iPhone was a different matter,I think it was only Jobs who was against it and it was in 2009-2010..the market has changed and most people actually wanted larger iPhones.
    It's not the same about a touch screen Macbook though,as most people don't want such device,as Cook explained.

18. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

So you actually proved yourself wrong. Providing a link from 2012 - not "the last few months".

If he said one thing in 2012, it doesnt mean its still relevant. I dont trust anything Apple have said in the past after iPhone 6 plus.

19. Hazyb71, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

Hazyb71 macrumors member

He didn't prove himself wrong... the person you quoted is different from the person who first mentioned the denials..

and here is a explicit denial of merging products from earlier this year:

http://www.hi-techrevolution.com/20...ary-of-the-mac-merging-ios-and-os-x-and-more/

And I heard Broadwell was being mass produced by Sept/October. Was there another delay?

20. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah thats not a denial of Macbook getting touch.

21. CodeJingle macrumors regular

Steve Jobs was famous for changing his mind at the drop of a hat. This is nothing new. If it is a viable product, and Apple can do it better than anyone else, then Apple will. If Apple was against something previously that they now make, it was because at the time they were against it the product was not viable, or Apple couldn't make it better than anyone else. You can already hook up a bluetooth keyboard to an iPad, which is makes it more like a laptop. You could keep debating it for a few more pages of the thread, that would be wonderful.

The reason a bigger iPhone makes sense now is for completely different reasons than for why Apple was originally against it. As people age 40+ their eyesight continues to deteriorate (both nearsight and farsight), and there are many people with weak fine motor skills. In at least BRIC countries some people only own a phone and no other computing device, which was unheard of just a few years ago. Anyone with aging eyesight or shaky hands, without a desktop, without a laptop, without a tablet, will appreciate a touch-screen based phone with a larger screen. Steve Jobs was also vehemently against an iPad with a smaller screen, yet Apple still released iPad Mini.

If a person of high rank at Apple said it isn't currently viable to sell a Mac with a touch screen, I expect that to hold for some length of time instead of being only empty words.

22. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Here is one from this year. This was an interview with Schiller and Federighi. The quote is Federighi saying that iOS and OSX will not be merged. If this was from earlier I would discredit it, but they have definitely been designing the rMBA since the beginning of 2014. There is the potential for touch, but no way are iOS and OSX getting merged this year.

http://www.macworld.com/article/209...he-mac-at-30-the-mac-keeps-going-forever.html

“To say [OS X and iOS] should be the same, independent of their purpose? Let’s just converge, for the sake of convergence? [It’s] absolutely a nongoal,” Federighi said. “You don’t want to say the Mac became less good at being a Mac because someone tried to turn it into iOS. At the same time, you don’t want to feel like iOS was designed by [one] company and Mac was designed by [a different] company, and they’re different for reasons of lack of common vision. We have a common sense of aesthetics, a common set of principles that drive us, and we’re building the best products we can for their unique purposes. So you’ll see them be the same where that makes sense, and you’ll see them be different in those things that are critical to their essence.”

23. motrek macrumors 68020

Yes, it doesn't make much sense at all.

You take an iPad and add an x86 processor to turn it into a MacBook and you get a terrible tablet and a terrible laptop.

Make the A? run OS X and you get a terrible laptop.

The only thing I can see happening in the next few years is that Apple might release the ability to cross-compile iPad apps to OS X and then add touch to existing (or similar to existing) laptop designs and then you'd be able to use some iPad apps on a MacBook.

24. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

What an incredible load of ********.

The reason why they made it is they gave into the pressure. Simple as that. Before they had the balls to say no, that they were content with their own size, but then the competition from Samsung became so intense that the only way they could prevent falling from behind was making the iPhone equally big.

It doesnt have anything to do with old peoples reading disabilites or whateverthe****. I just cant believe the fog on certain fanboys vision, like yourself.

25. Nozuka, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Nozuka macrumors 68000

What happened to the "all new design" rumors?

actually that's not really true. fanless devices with a new Core M (broadwell) CPU are coming out at the end of october. sounds like the perfect timing for the event. high resolution displays are also supported.

here's one example - a zenbook. one of MBAs biggest competitors:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZenBook_UX305/

i would wait, just to be sure. its only a month.

the more powerful CPUs will come in spring, thats true. but apple might be using them for the macbook pro line only. and they won't be fanless.

and wouldnt it be weird to have the new osx released without any new hardware?