What happened to the iMac Buyer's Guide?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ABM, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ABM macrumors regular

ABM

Who "corrected" or "manipulated" the average update intervall?
    The Avg was 185 days for a long time (till yesterday) and now it should be 205 days? :confused:

- still hoping for a CPU and/or GPU upgrade within the next 30 days.

Attached Files:

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Dont know but its a great resource.

3. mac2maverick macrumors regular

mac2maverick

Hmmm that's interesting. While the average could have been raised 1/2 a day or so because this one went over the previous average, there's no way it could have raised it this much. Maybe the program default recalculates after the latest update passes the average, and this caused the problem. I'd sure like to know if the old one was wrong.

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

A previous update was removed from the update history (the introduction of an Education Store only model), and as a result the average increased.

5. mac2maverick macrumors regular

mac2maverick

This makes me feel more comfortable with having given up waiting for the iMac upgrade and purchasing a single 2.8 quad MP. Thanks for the post.

6. ABM thread starter macrumors regular

ABM

Thanks!

7. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

whats wrong with the iMac Buyers Guide

Just a few days ago, the average number of days between updates was listed as 184 (and it had been 182 days since the last time i checked. Now its up to 205 average # days between updates and 191 days since the last update. Whats with the jump? Everyday we don't get an iMac update shoud make the average go up, but it should be in terms of partial days, now the 20 that it jumped.

Did they cut out the iMac G4 from the equation to produce this 20 day jump?

Anyways, it seems pretty likely Apple's waiting for Montevina to update hardware in the iMac, so we won't be seeing updates til April at the earliest (if we're lucky).

Does this mean any chance of a price cut coming on the current rendition? Yeah, pretty doubt lol. Maybe just an increase in standard HD size...

8. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Yea...I just noticed it too.

BUT...I kind of think that it should be more...because between Feb 4th 2003 & Sep 8th 2003, there was only 71 days between each update, but it wasn't really a update since they only added a 20" model and all the other models stayed the same....so that 21 days "skewed" the average update dates.

I was just calculating the average again between the dates without the 71 days and I got the average to be 224 days.

Also, I calculated the average update releases without the 71 days (from 02/04/03 to 09/08/03) and the 90 days (from 10/12/05 to 01/12/06) since the both also skewed the average...and I got an average of 247 days between updates... so the update seems to most likely be between May & June..as some MR users think.

***Note: I didn't add the 90 days between 10/12/05 & 01/12/06 because the average between every other update was 162, 216, 239, 245, 287, & 335 days. So obviously 71 days and 90 days would bring the average much much lower than it should be.***

I was taking the averages about 30 minutes ago because I was seriously thinking about buying an iMac today...call me nerdy/geeky/turd...yes.

I hope people can understand what I did. haha

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I removed a release from the imac buyers guide. At one point there was an education model added to the line to replace the emac. In terms of iMac buying and product cycles it didn't make sense to include it.

arn

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I removed the education iMac introduction because from a product-cycle perspective it made no sense to be counted in the average cycles.

arn

11. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502