What happens if Google gets notification pulldown patent?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by boomboom2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. boomboom2 macrumors regular

Do you think Apple will cross license with Google or do you think they will have a strong enough case to fight against it when Google will try to use it against them? With Apple (rightfully) laying the wood on Samsung what will happen when it happens back? This is the biggest patent problem I forsee in Apple's future.

2. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

There are way more patents on other technologies. While that may be a big one, the lump of everything should hit Apple hard enough. Especially the wireless communication ones.

3. boomboom2 thread starter macrumors regular

I dunno. Motorola and Samsung have tried to get Apple on those and the courts always side with Apple.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

It depends on how detailed the patent is. The software patents must explicitly say how it is implemented and how it look, it cannot be vague or the court can rule it invalid right away.

If the patent does cover how notifications work in iOS, then Apple can just simply release an update to change it to bypass the patent.

5. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

True Google made changes to avoid things like this in the past so I can see Apple doing it too.

6. kokhean macrumors regular

7. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Apple have the Newton as prior art for a Notification display activated by tapping an icon on the top centre of the screen. Plus the touch patents should easily cover the swipe improvement.

8. luckyw macrumors newbie

You're making the same type of arguments that Samsung did over Apple in the recent lawsuit for "prior art" for the touch patents. If you look at how Android and Apple notification "works", by a swipe of the finger down from the top status bar and being able to see most recent notifications, you know that Apple blatantly ripped off Android.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Hopefully it'll make Apple redesign it or pay Google and then update it with more features...

not a big fan of how nc is. It was interesting in iOS 5...but Apple hasn't updated it since then...

10. Purant macrumors 6502

Yeah, Apple seems to do that. They introduce something that looks promising but could use improvement and then.... they never touch it again.

11. Aidan5806 macrumors 6502

i hate wireless patents. companies use them just to make money, not to defend something they uniquely invented. tim said they never sued anyone over device essential patents like radios and the like. Why do these android company feel the need to do so. its just mean. and theres no real justification of it.

12. Purant macrumors 6502

Probably because Apple doesn't own a lot of those kind of patents :p
    Their competition has most of those.

13. dba415 macrumors 6502

Google should sue Apple for the new combined search/url bar in safari as well.

14. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

aren't Palm (webOS) the inventors of the notification pulldown? Apple hired the guy who developed that...

people give Google too much credit on this boards hahahaha they don't innovate as much as you think

15. Purant macrumors 6502

http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/googles-notification-bar-patent-could-spell-trouble-for-apple/

Although hopefully this : http://www.phonearena.com/news/Goog...-be-holding-nuclear-disarmament-talks_id33908 means we will stop seeing more patent wars.

16. Aidan5806 macrumors 6502

Not many individual patents. But several major ones. Im not 100% sure of this but they had a large participation in H.264 and .mov standards which are used by all android phones.

17. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I don't think Apple would do such a risky thing by adding a cool copied feature not knowing it could give em trouble...

Apple probably has more patents that Google and others are using or their notification center integration is build in such a way it doesn't violate google patent..

its very simple Apple has Google and Samsung by the balls that simple, even if some android fanboys here won't admit it

18. Purant macrumors 6502

....Sure, whatever...

----------

What?...

H.264 is a codec, Apple has little to do with it.

And .mov is just a container (like .avi .mkv whatever). Supporting playback of .mov files, is something that apple actually wants people to do, so that their format is more successful... So... What are you even talking about?

19. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I really hope that both companies agree to license stuff from each other and make peace. No more trials and suits/countersuits.

20. Purant macrumors 6502

Amen!

21. Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

Eh, I'm gonna be a lawyer so they can sue each other all they want. :D

22. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I really want companies to secure their intelectual properties the way they should so that technology can evolve faster and companies actually invest money on investigation, new innovations instead of just copying! thus giving us consumers better products

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Fixed

24. Oletros, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012

Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

No, webOS notifications were demoed after Android got them

I didn't know that Apple has sued Google and has won the trials. Can you please link to those results?

25. Purant macrumors 6502

Having to tip-toe around other company's patents instead of doing what you want really does not result in better products.

I really don't understand how you think patents result in better products for consumers.