What happens to a mac program when you x out?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Germwise, May 18, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

So in windows the x shuts down the program completely,

In the mac, if I close it, I still see an "active" shiny globe in the dock and it opens up faster the next time. This leads me to believe its more like minimizing. However, if I close a webpage, it doesn't come back.

So whats the meaning behind the x?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The (x) is attached to the window. So clicking closes the window. Nothing more, nothing less, it closes that window. If the application only every has one window (like, say, Calculator) then it quits the app. If it's a multi-document app then the app stays running as you have only closed a single document.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well said, I knew what the 'x' did, but never thought about it in that way, makes sense now.

4. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

To actually quit out the application, you can use (Commnad+Q) while the application is active to quit it out. There are a few other ways, but that is by far the fastest.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

For many programs, the x merely closes the window and the program will still be running but a command-Q will always quit an active program. -GDF

6. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

yup as said before

the x will close just the instance of the application,

but the main application is still running, for instance if i close skype with the x, it just closes that skype window , but someone can call me cause the app is still running

7. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

how many things do you keep open?

I mean skype, mail, safari, finder etc... has got to start bogging down the machine.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why would it? Open Activity Monitor, check CPU usage and RAM usage, or just go by how it feels: It takes an awful lot to slow a Macintosh with MacOS X down.

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I always have itunes, vuze, msn, and safari with anywhere from 3-8 tabs open. And than even with all that open i sometimes fool around in garageband. The machine dosen't really slow down at all..I have never noticed a real slowdown with all that open since I got the macbook.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I rarely close apps until I see a performance decrease... In fact I'm the same with tabs. You can often see me with about 12 tabs, because I forget about certain tabs and usually go back to Facebook or Macrumors and the others just slip my mind... However Firefox, Mail, Adium, uTorrent, iTunes, Photoshop, are just some of the apps which are generally always open on my machine.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why would it? Open Activity Monitor, check CPU usage and RAM usage, or just go by how it feels: It takes an awful lot to slow a Macintosh with MacOS X down.

In addition: I guess when you talk about (x) you mean the red circle at the top of the window. Red = close, yellow = minimize into the dock, green = switch to optimal size. In most applications, Command-W will close the window. In Safari: Command-W = close tab or window, Command-Shift-W = close window with all tabs, Command-Option-W = Close all windows.