What happens when new iMacs are introduced?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rocknblogger, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I know that there's no event for iMacs and when they're released Apple just updates their site with the new versions.

So my question is, what if I decide that for whatever reason I prefer the old (current) model, can I still order it and customize it with whatever options I want?

I remember looking for it last year but not being able to find it anywhere on the site. I'm not interested in refurbs only because you can't customize them and I definitely want the SSD+HD option and the i7 processor.

I've seen refurbs with SSD but never with both drives. Also can I buy AppleCare a little later or do I have to buy it at time of purchase?

Thanks in advance!!

B.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Generally, no. When Apple introduces new Macs, the previous versions are no longer available on their site for BTO. If you want an older version, you'd have to go to a store that may still have some in stock, a 3rd party retailer or buy refurb. As for refurbs, you just have to watch to see if the configuration you want is available. Check out refurb.me to be notified when the model you want becomes available.

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Hmmm, I think I may just order one now and be done with it. I have a number of FireWire hard drives and I'm concerned that the refresh may not have FW ports.

I don't have to have the latest greatest. I think the current 27" iMacs are phenomenal. I also doubt that there will be any reduction in SSD pricing as it's a custom upgrade and can't be done by the user.

Is it possible that an SSD will be standard? Not yet, possibly next year. I think they're still too expensive for Apple to include and keep the price of the iMacs the same. What do you think?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd really be surprised if the new models don't have FW. Until Thunderbolt becomes more available, FW is still very useful, and preferred over USB 2.0. I also don't think SSDs will be standard on base models. There's still a tug-of-war going on between the speed of SSD and the capacity and price of HDD.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

5. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree with your assessment. Do you agree that the price to upgrade to SSD+HD will more than likely stay the same?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt it would change by much, if any. That's just my opinion. I try to avoid all the guesswork that goes on about potential new model releases. I buy what I want when I want it from what's available at the time, and pretty much ignore all the ruckus about new models.

7. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm with you on this. I got a little caught up in some of the threads around here and the overall attitude about waiting for the refresh but generally I also buy what I want when I want. So, I'm going to go to apple.com right now and order the damn thing and not look back.

Plus who knows if the refresh will include a redesign and I personally love the current design.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think that's wise. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.
    Very true. I ordered a Mac mini just before the new ones were released. As a result, I have one with the SuperDrive built in, which serves my needs quite well, as I use the mini for a media server and the drive eliminated the need for a separate DVD player.

9. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

That's the other thing. It's possible that the new iMacs won't have the ODD and unlike a lot of people around here I still have a use for it. The majority of my clients ask for their photos in either CD-Rom or DVD. I can't force them to use a thumb drive if they don't want to. On top of that I have a decent DVD collection so I have other uses for it.

I know I can always buy an external drive but I'm trying to declutter as much as possible and isn't that the whole point of an AIO computer?

Thank you for being a voice of reason :)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I definitely will!!

One last question. Does it make any difference buying from Macmall.com vs apple.com? I can save almost $200 in tax if I buy from MM.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No difference at all, other than pricing.

13. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Awesome!! Thanks for all your help. Have a great weekend ;)

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

15. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thank you I'll take a look but I've had a MacBook Pro since 2010 :)

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If you need Firewire, i'd honestly go ahead and buy now. My guess is it will be gone on this next refresh, or the one after it at latest.

17. Rich2Putt macrumors member

I would also look at B&H photo. Great service and shipping. They off Apple Care half price $61 and free software. #

18. WhatsHisFace macrumors newbie

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I bought now. I got the 27 3.4 i7 with the 256 ssd + 1TB HD...should arrive this Tuesday, can't wait! I'm so excited and it will be plenty powerfulfor what I'll do with it. I did get 4x4GB through a third party though, Apple just wants way too much for RAM.

19. not1lost macrumors member

not1lost

Paragould Arkansas, when I'm not in my RV
    Just jumping in here as I'm in the same boat... But do you have to remove the screen to upgrade Memory on an iMac? Thanks:)

20. Excavatorjohn macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Will there be an option of a 512gb SSD or a 256gb drive on the new iMac?

21. zarf2007 macrumors regular

nope, just unscrew the small flap underneath the screen and slot the memory in. There are 4 slots, 2 are used by apples 2GB chips, I added another 2 x 4GB to make 12GB total...suits for most uses!

22. WhatsHisFace macrumors newbie

No, underneath the chin there are three screws that hold a part of the screen. Remove those for access to the RAM cards. Apple's website has a how-to diagram for it.

----------

No one knows outside of Apple.

----------

No one knows outside of Apple.

23. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thanks I'll take a look but I'm almost sure to buy from macmall.com as they won't charge me tax ;)
    Enjoy!! I can't wait to get mine but before I pull the trigger I'm still considering a 17" MacBook Pro. I almost clicked the "Buy" button but at the last second decided to think about it some more.

The 17" is a powerhouse laptop and easily user upgradable. I can install any SSD I want as well as memory. Plus with all the rumors flying around that Apple will merge the MacBook Air and Pro lines I would love to have the last real MacBook Pro.

I don't know, I keep going back and forth :confused:
    No, memory is a snap to upgrade on the iMac
    No one knows for sure but I would bet it would be very expensive. The larger drives are still expensive even if you buy from a 3rd party like Amazon or Newegg.

24. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Macmall charges tax, B&H doesn't.

25. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Not me it didn't. I was on the final payment screen and the total showed 0 tax. I suppose it depends where you are buying from. If you happen to be in a state where they have stores then they probably will charge you tax.

Also since I'm in New Jersey I think B&H would charge me tax but I will check.