What hardware upgrades could Apple possibly offer to sell future iPhones and iOSs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 19, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

People have been clamoring for a decent camera, a camera flash, a front facing camera since the very first iPhone came out.

It seems like with iPhone 4, they delivered on every single major hardware feature people asked for, except for a 4.3 inch screen.

Other than a 4.3 inch screen, I can't think of what hardware improvements apple could possibly offer in the iPhone 5 to get all but the most tech obsessed to upgrade next.

Do you think they will do something completely unexpected and out of the left field, like a 3D screen akin to the Nintendo 3DS?

What can you think of?

Xenon Flash instead of LED Flash?

Micro-SD Card slot with access to a file system that lets you use both the phone, and the SD card as an external hdd?

A Camera Shutter and a Shutter Button and Screen Orientation Lock?

Analog Zoom for the Camera + Even Bigger Lens/Larger CCD for even better quality pictures and videos?

A 4.3 Inch Screen?

A 4G LTE Antenna with support all of the 2G, 3G and 4G frequencies worldwide and the ability to use Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile?

Bluetooth 3.0? A Built in Projector!?

SD Card Slot?

Dual Speakers like the iPad and support for 3D surround sound?

Reduce the size of the bezel on the top of and on the bottom of the phone?

Center the front and rear cameras on the phone?

Along with a bigger screen, put the antennas back inside the phone case to prevent interference (would also get rid of the seams in the metal border around the phone)?

A CPU Upgrade (to the dual core Cortex A9 processors)?

A GPU Upgrade (to the SGX545)?

Siri Voice Controls hardwired into the phone to allow you to launch apps, and control apps by voice alone? Sync and stream from AppleTV/iTV wirelessly via cloud?

IR, FM Radio & Transmitter, HD and DAB+ Radio, RFID, Pedometer?

Wireless Payment Chip (ex: Paywave or Paypal)?

HDTV Tuner/TV Reciever and Mini HDMI Out?

A Smaller Bezel Above & Below the Screen?

64GB/128GB? Light Peak?

Super AMOLED and a 3D Screen like the 3DS?

Touch gestures/sensors on the corners of the phone and/or on the glass back of the phone?

Replace home button with a touch sensative area to make the phone even more aesthetic and symmetric (Get rid of the round indentation below the screen and replace it with an unindented, unmarked button)

8 MP Camera/1080p Video Recording?

Maybe if those features end up in the new iPhone it would be enough of a leap to warrant an upgrade.

2. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Don't get me wrong, I can think up a ton of SOFTWARE upgrades they can make to iOS5, but not many that can't already be done by jailbreaking, and as far as hardware upgrades go, I think this current phone is close to perfect. All it really needs is a 4.3 inch screen to make web browsing and book reading easier on it.

Even the software is nearing perfection. The major things like multitasking finally made the cut. What's left that's major?

Dynamic icons for the weather app, the clock app, the stocks app that show the actual temperature, the actual time, or the direction of the dow jones on the app icon itself?

Notifications of new texts/emails/missed calls on the lock screen itself? Upgrades and improvements to notifications?

Full Voice Control That Allows You To Control the OS (ex: Saying "iPhone: Turn off Bluetooth")?

The Ability to create different profiles for Work, School, Airport, Home, Workout, Different Users of the iPhone?

Support for more video and audio codecs?

Ability to plug it into a usb port and use it as an external hdd/flash drive?

Ability to delete individual phone calls and texts?

LED Notification Lights, Magic Trackpad/Magic Mouse capabilities?

Use the IR transmitter to make it the ultimate remote control

A Fully Customizable Home Screen with the ability to add widgets to it?

Apple's own Navigation App integrated with Google Maps or Google Navigation/Latitude?

Wireless streaming to Apple TV?

Wireless Hotspots?

Wireless Sync and Cloud based iTunes and wireless file transfer over bluetooth?

But none of that seems as important as multitasking, and once these features are implemented, what else is left?

And besides, you can pretty much do all those things already simply by jailbreaking the phone.

Wouldn't the phone be pretty much perfect in every possible way once they pull off this stuff? How will they be able to get more people to upgrade?

3. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

Wireless syncing
    1080p recording
    LED lights
    Magic mouse capabilities

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

5. Gigzz macrumors regular

Bigger screen. Faster processor that can handle real multitasking, not the fake multitasking they're doing now. More memory- you allow for HD recording and the largest drive is 32 gig? Wow. A way to add buttons - the iphone will never compete with Nintendo for serious gamers without buttons. And to those saying Apple isn't competing with Nintendo...oh yes they most definitely are.

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

7. muledogus macrumors 6502

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think the next iPhone will be like the 3GS, more of a spec bump. So faster, better camera etc. The real next leap will be the iPhone 6.

9. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I think it's there isn't it? Transmitter and receiver too. Just no enabled through software. :(

10. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Little bit bigger LCD, 3D capability on games and movies, 4G ready, stereo recording on voice and video, wireless hot spot, ect...

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This.

Also see Moore's Law. There will be a better processor and bigger memory chips to come along.

And for reference, the iPad doesn't have dual speakers, it's just got one on the lower right frame.

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

A big software improvement I'd like to see is a call alert similar to the text message.

I hate ............................... well i shouldn't say 'hate' ......................................... more like 'vehemently despise with the fury of a thousand suns' is how a call knocks me out of my app.

"But multitasking will fix that!"

I've never cared about restarting an app actually its just that I don't want to be kicked out AT ALL. I want it to be just like the text message alert. ;)

13. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

I would love to see a 64GB, FM Transmitter, 8MP camera, and a bigger screen. Software is a whole different story.

14. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yes, but what leap? What else could they possibly add that would make a significant improvement in user experience.

Yes, they can always include more ram, a faster processor etc, but I honestly don't see how the phone could be any faster than the iPhone 4 to a degree that it would actually be noticable. Do you?

If apps launch a few milliseconds faster, would people really notice?

15. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

I vote that rather than a bigger screen, they add a projector to it. The iPhone is the perfect size right now, except when you want to watch video and movies. Adding a projector to it would be awesome!

I realize that projector technology doesn't really allow for a decent-contrast, low-enough-energy-using small projector right now, but in the future--who knows!

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

3D-screen, even higher resolution/ppi. 4G (LTE) support etc. It's hard to imagine right now I agree with that. But this is what tech companies do they will think of something.

17. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I don't think there will be exterior changes. They look to now be on a 2 year cycle. The main reason they changed the design from the original to the 3G was the aluminum casing would kill the 3G signal.

Maybe a camera upgrade. More space definitely. Some upgrades to internal hardware. I think that'll be it.

You'll have to wait until the 6th gen to see any major upgrades.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad does indeed have two speakers. In the teardown you can clearly see the there is a right and left speaker within the iPad. But they come out of the same hole at the bottom.

19. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I think the iPhone allows access to the 30 pin connector for controller addons. I believe a few were made, but I doubt anyone really buys them and/or games support them.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I like the idea of a 3d screen similar to Nintendo's 3ds. Good idea.

21. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

lol, that would make it a must buy.

22. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I'm sure that's what people said when computers had 16mb of ram and 200mhz processors.

23. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

iPhone 4GS Specification

- Same size/shape as the iPhone 4.
    - 4G LTE
    - 1.5GHz Dual Core (ARM Cortex A9-MP)
    - SGX545 Graphics
    - 32GB / 64GB
    - HDMI output (optional cable for $29/apple store, $1/ebay)
    - 3.5" Screen (I prefer 3.5 than 4.3)
    - IPS LCD (IPS LCD is better than pentile super AMOLED).
    - Bluetooth 3.0
    - 5M Pixel Camera with larger CCD + LED Flash
    - Wireless streaming to Apple TV.
    - iNavi (Apple Navigation on Google maps).
    - Wireless hotspot (without jailbreaking)

24. coasterswim macrumors 6502

AT&T would probably try to charge FM reception against your data cap ;)