Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Exactly. Why is it like in the shower or driving down the road, the brain tends to send up thoughts of the many times I've screwed up? I do have some successes but those tend to get ignored.

What is Self-Esteem?

Self-esteem is the evaluation of self on a scale that can range from negative to positive. It is usually a perception that is based upon feedbacks one receives from other important people in his life, as well as his own thoughts about himself. People with a high self-esteem are those who have a high self-worth. On the other hand, people with a low self-esteem have a low self-worth. If you are confident about yourself, it reflects in your attitude and others gain a perception that you have a high self-esteem. In other words, self-esteem can be equated with regard or respect one has for him. For example, a person may have a low self-esteem about his physical attractiveness if he does not perceive himself as beautiful or attractive. However, the same person may have a high self-esteem for himself if he is given a task to perform because of his belief in his own ability. Low self-esteem is often characterized by feelings of inferiority, anxiety, and unhappiness. A person with low self-esteem is often impatient and gets irritated with things and others. Negativity is another important characteristic of people with low self-esteem.

William Reachers

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2017
Chicago
It's all about finding yourself and learning to live with yourself, aside from any other opinions! Love yourself and everything will go on it's well worn patch from there, mistakes will be lessons, successes will be things to rejoice and experiences will be felt at it's fullest, one way or another.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I don't know, I don't have any big regrets or mistakes. I have embarrassing moments (do I ever), but I can't identify any big regrets or things I wish I could do differently.

One time I laundered $700 (literally, in the washing machine) but it came out unscathed. For a moment I thought I had made a horrible mistake!

I'm sure I'll have some more to report on once I'm finished with college, though :)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
"What if's" that run through my head? All the time.
Regrets? Not so much.

I interviewed with a NASA contractor right before the shuttles were grounded for electrical problems about 2000. That job evaporated, but I still wonder.
I wonder what would have happened if I had been more open to dating while in college.
I passed on two job interviews in the last year.
I was fired at one point in my career. I suppose I could have kept that from happening - but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me!

I look at my life, my wife, my job, my home...I get a sense that I am right where I am supposed to be.

Reactions: D.T.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Biggest mistake: leaving a Buddhist monastic practice at the request of my father, because his best friend/business partner died of cancer, and he said he needed my help running his winery. Within a couple of years, the winery was sold, but my life was put on a trajectory that took me away from formal practice.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Going to university.

Then dropping out. Then going back to university even when I knew it didn't feel right (graduated the 2nd time)

Very time consuming and expensive mistakes.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Dating my recent ex. What a giant waste of two years. All the signs were there to bow out, but my dumb ass stayed in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.