What have you bought for your mac, and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rated, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Rated macrumors member

I have been looking into the mac app store, not sure what to get, and what to get first.

What did you guys get, and why?

2. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Paid Apps:

Aperture - I had meant to get iPhoto, but couldn't resist the price.

MacFamilyTree - I would have waited to upgrade to the new version, but it's half price for a week. Haven't opened it yet.

iRingtones - Only 59p. Hopefully it means my wife will be able to make her own now, rather than have to keep asking me (and me forgetting to make them)

Lyrica - Another 59p one. Adds lyrics to your iTunes metadata. It managed to find about 2/3rds of my library. I'd never have done it myself.

Tune Buddy - 59p again. Displays the name of the currently playing song on the top bar and saves having to switch to iTunes to check the song title. Seems OK.

Free Apps:

Kindle - I already had it, but thought I'd bring it into the App Store for any updates.

Caffiene - I just downloaded this to see how the App Store works. I think I will probably use it occasionally.

EverNote - I've been meaning to get a notetaking App for my iPad and decided to go with Evernote so I can sync between devices. I think it will be one of my most used Apps.

Remind Me Later - Seemed a good idea and it is handy for quickly adding simple appointments into iCal

I suspect that's all I will get now until iWork 11 is released.

3. Ichneumon macrumors member

I got the Twitter app. It shows you in the task bar when you have new tweets so that I don't have to visit the twitter site to check if I have new tweets.

4. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

So far, nada. But if iWeb 4.0 ever shows up I might spring for that.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

6. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Pixelmator, because I'd been wanting to pick it up for a while, and at half price it was too good to pass up.

Also, I brought iLife up to date, for around 2/3rds of what the disc would have cost me (£27 to £45).

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Tweeter, Echofon lite, Sketchbook Express, ComposerFXImageLite, and Unretina.

8. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

DoublePane is one I was hoping to see and I LOVE it. Simple, effective. For .99 to be able to quickly set up web pages for comparison is great.
    iRingtones, worth .99 and nice to have an easy way to make ringtones.

9. tblrsa, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

tblrsa macrumors regular

CoverSutra:

Was kind of an impulse buy, not really an absolute must have tool, although it´s nice to have that kind of eyecandy on the desktop and quick access to my music.
    CoverSutra does have a bug though. After pausing and restarting a song using the Function Keys of my Keyboard, it does restart an old Album i´ve once selected in iTunes instead the one playing via CoverSutra.

Pinball HD:

I know this game from my iDevice, it´s a nice timewaster. Nothing special, but still a good game.

Pixelmator:

I need an Photo Editor on my Mac, as i don´t own Photoshop for Mac. I hope Pixelmator does serve me well in my tasks, i couldn´t refuse the current MAS offer.

That´s about it. I´m waiting for iWork 11 to appear on the MAS. I´ll purchase Pages and Keynote from the iWork 11 package.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Well, I'm sure that in this case, you don't need anything at all. Otherwise you would at least know in what categories you'd have to look. But then again, we all know by now that owning a Mac doesn't mean that one really needed a computer to get a job done or to solve a specific problem... The more I read here, the more I realize that Apple products are the electronic equivalents to Gucci.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

iLife 11
    Office 2011
    Final Cut Express
    Roxio Toast
    AppDelete

Havent actually purchased anything from the MAC AppStore........yet......

12. Queso macrumors G4

Garageband and iMovie '11, Evernote, Angry Birds and Pinball HD. Toying with the idea of buying Pixelmator even though I already own it, since the App Store version will come with free upgrade to version 2.

As to what to get next, if Keynote '11 appears I'll buy that. I've got pretty much everything else I want software wise as I've been a big MacHeist purchaser over the past three years.

13. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Nothing, since I already have the software I needed/wanted .. app store gave me nothing new.

14. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Just out of interest, have you had much of a look.

For example, it would never have occurred to me to get a program to add the lyrics to my iTunes library. It's something that I've often thought would be nice, but know that I would never do it myself. The thought that I could grab a program that would do it for me never entered my head.

That's the attraction of the App Store for me. These little cheap (or free) Apps that just do a job which is handy but you wouldn't go looking for.

15. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I find the App Store for my iPhone 4 excellent & useful.

Converseley I won't be using or supporting the Mac App Store via my MacBook Pro. The Mac App Store represents "Dumbing Down" the Mac.

All in the name of greed & sold to the public under the guise of "making it easier & safer". Typical hype and marketing by Apple. And yet they are right. This is one more move to make all Apple products so easy that any idiot can use them.

Apple & their Zealots get to do what they love best. Brag & Gloat.

"It's Magical & Revolutionary" oh get a grip.

16. Ann P, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

Ann P macrumors 68020

Just downloaded 'Caffeine' so far. Probably the most useful app I've come across. Great find and its free!

17. Queso macrumors G4

LMAO. So you'd rather we all have to do it the old-skool UNIX way and compile our own source code do you? :D

18. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

You'll have to explain to me what is wrong with that.

19. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Evernote, although I think I'll stick with MomoNote and hope they come up with a Mac counterpart.

Twitter

Chopper 2 - but I haven't got the bluetooth working yet.

Angry Birds

Sketckbook Express - might just upgrade though

Shortcuts for Mac

WeatherMan

I'm also trying to decide if I should get a personal finance app.

20. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Yes, but not interested in adding lyrics to iTunes, etc. I've spend about an hour after launch, and 30 minutes a day later, and lost interest.

It just made me realize that you're about to pay again for stuff you already have on the iPhone or iPad.

21. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Yep, the sales of Angry Birds demonstrate that quite clearly for many people.

I do wonder though, with Angry Birds, whether they just benefitted from being available on launch, with people having a look at the App Store to see what it's like, and maybe wanting to pick something up cheaply. Many will have seen Angry Birds and downloaded it as it was cheap without considering whether they need another copy.

I wonder whether it would have sold as many if it had been released two months down the line, when people have tried out the App Store already and grabbed a free App to see how it works.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just Pixelmator, given the price and the promise of a free version 2.0.

Other then that, I've not purchased anything.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't have the PoS called Snow Leopard, but it doesn't look like there's much in that app store that you can't find outside of the app store walls...

24. Ann P macrumors 68020

You need to re-read the thread title. :p