What have you hit with your car, other than another car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Jul 6, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Just a weird little thread.
    What have you hit with your car, other than another car?

I have hit the following in a car:
    1) Squirrel in my moms car, I think it got stuck inbetween the wheel and mudflap for a brief second because there was a bump, a rubbing noise, and then another bump

2) I was driving on the highway maybe 75mph in the middle of the day and there is this skunk in my lane. The traffic was busy- cars to either side of me and behind so I had no option then just to slightly slow down and take the hit. It was pretty nasty and smelled for a little while.

3) I ran over an already dead squirrel today, I parked the car in the garage since it was supposedly going to hail. Maybe 15 minutes later I go out to get my iPod and I noticed a horrendous smell, my dog was sniffing the rear mud flap. Sure enough there was some nasty squirrel flesh on my mudflap

Today I had an interesting experience. I was driving on I-91 south in East Windsor or Windsor, CT. Right before the bridge that crosses the CT River (I think) there is this MASSIVE piece of sheet metal. All of a sudden in my lane I see this massive mangled peice of metal I was like OMG. I saw 3 cars in the break down lane after that piece of metal, I assumed they had hit it.

I also have a friend that t-boned a horse pulling a buggy haha.

Any interesting stories?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This thread is nothing without pictures and a fork.

• A kangaroo. Thankfully it was small so it didn't kill us, but it wrote off the car.
    • Countless birds (actual birds, not young girls). I feel bad, but it hasn't been on purpose.
    • Countless cats. When possible, this has been on purpose. Amazingly, it's perfectly legal to kill cats here. :cool:
    • A few snakes. Once again it wasn't on purpose.

I drive a lot of kilometres for work, so hitting an animal every now and then is inevitable, as horrible as that may sound. :eek:

3. pengu macrumors 6502a

My friend hit a dead kangaroo with the diff of my previous car.

we were driving interstate (i was moving) and it was early hours of the morning, we'd decided to record it on my digicam (2nd time i made a crazy-cuckoo drive road trip vid) and i was looking out the side window saying "we can't see f**k all, there is and then in the background you hear my friend go "what the hell is... BANG" and the car jumps a little.

sure enough it was a dead kangaroo in the middle of the lane. no damage to the car.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, hilarious:rolleyes:

5. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

Hit 2 raccoons at the same time once,one on each front wheel.

Hmm not sure if it counts,but coming home from a bar with a girl(just a friend),both of us sort of impaired,not condoning drunk driving,but I was a young dumb kid,anyhow she was in the passenger seat,with her feet out the window,I for some reason looked down,I think changing the radio or something,swerved,and her feet hit a mail box.Broke her leg.

6. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Well I didn't hit it, but it hit my car.

This sunny July 4th in the US, I went outside to find my hood had been hit by a falling round of ammunition. I figure someone was firing their sidearm into the air as they drove down the main street just a few blocks from my house in stupid celebration.

What goes up, must come down. Unfortunately it came down on my car, creating quite a nice divot, from the size of it, looks like 9mm or .45 caliber. $475 later it's like new, but it's pretty messed up that some dope out "having fun" cost me so much. Bastages!

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

My kind of humor!

I was trying to show off once doing a donut in the snow and swung the front end of my car into a snow bank. I bent the license plate and severely bruised my ego...

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My friend hit a 'roo when he was in australia...he said he didn't quite kill it, and had to put it out of its misery with a shovel. Its eyes popped out. :eek:

I have never hit anything but the curb. :p *knock on wood*

10. pengu macrumors 6502a

that sounds like a MESSY way of putting ANYTHING out of its mysery

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was the front seat passenger when we skidded on a huge patch of ice, lost control, and ran straight into into a road sign, which said... you guessed it... ICY !

Funny in hindsight, but not at the time.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Driving through Wyoming late at night, I hit an owl. A big owl. I saw it take off from the side of the road to fly across, but I'd seen lots of birds pull it of before so I wasn't worried. Apparently this owl couldn't build enough speed or height fast enough because it ricocheted off of my windshield. Scared my friend who had been sleeping in the passenger seat half to death. After I got done being thankful that it didn't punch through or even crack the windshield, I hoped that it wasn't some endangered species or something.

13. Damnitshane1 macrumors newbie

I hit:

1. Countless squirrels

2. Countless bunnies

3. A bat - and it got caught under my windshield wipers so I had to drive with it looking at me until I got home

4. A bighorn sheep - I was driving home from Palm Desert and it was just standing there :(

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

today i hit a rolled up carpet hanging out of someone's car. my depth perception is not faulty, but the carpet was long and slid in and out of the car a bit thanks to the loose rope.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

A fence post.:eek: (Note that I'm not even old enough to drive, this was during lessons with my dad.)

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Although I wasn't driving, my friend and I were driving down some rural roads that were near apparently some NASA and other government facilities. Anyways, a thunderstorm passes over us for about a good 20 minutes. We're going this random road at night with fog and rain pouring from the skies and all of sudden these small, copper-colored frogs start just raining from the trees and hopping out of the forest into the road! There were tons of these frogs for at least a good 5 miles or so hopping all over the road. We're sure we flattened plenty of them. We ended up at a dead end so we had to turn around and take on the frogs, again.

It appeared my friend had no frog gut residue on his car at least.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I know this is other objects but I had to share this pic. Moral of the story, don't drink and drive.

A month ago I had a drunk driver hit a motorhome and me in a head on collision. I've had many friends say I should take up a horse instead of a car for getting around (for the older MacRumors members who remember my wreck years ago.)

This is the drunk drivers car.

jon

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      337.1 KB
      Views:
  18. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

The first thing I ever hit in a car was a six month old puppy. :(

I grew up on a farm and was quite used to livestock getting out and on the road as well as various household pets, but this little black lab puppy had been in the weeds off to my left and popped out right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and put my car halfway in a ditch, but I still got him.

The worst part was going up to the house and knocking on the door to say that I just killed their puppy. Absolutely awful feeling. :(

Other than that I once hit two birds within a mile of eachother literally seconds after telling my wife that I had never hit a bird before.

I didn't hit them, but yesterday I was back down in the area I grew up in and came close to hitting three dear, a fox, four bunnies and a pheasant. This was all in the same day! :eek:

19. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I've scraped my bumper a few times on one of the concrete poles in our underground garage. It's a very tight space to back out of (I'd love to trade spaces with one of my neighbors, but nobody would want the space I have). Thankfully, I've never done any serious damage, and a little touch-up paint takes care of the scrapes.

20. Fezwick macrumors 6502

I hit a deer last week on my way to work. It jumped out in front of my car at the last minute. I swerved, but not enough, and smacked into the back end of the deer. I smashed up the front of my car on the driver's side. Need a new fender and countless other things I'm sure. Thank god for insurance.

I've hit a bunch of snowbanks as well. That was when I first started driving. Going 50 on an icy road is just not a good idea.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've hit a chipmunk or two. Damn things just run right out in front of you. All you see is a little brown thing with a vertical tail moving across the road. :mad: I also konked a possum on the head with my undercarriage once, but it was gone the next morning, so I guess it survived.
    I tapped an empty trash can once, and I've nailed numerous potholes. :mad:
    So far with my new car, I haven't hit anything (well, other than the back tire of my bike when pulling into the garage, but that's a tight squeeze) that didn't deserve it. I did rub up against a Matrix that had boxed me into a parking spot at school. Thankfully someone had already scraped that corner of my bumper, so I didn't care. :p
    I've come close to hitting a few birds, but not quite like this or this.

Also, my father got hit by a deer, and a friend of mine whacked a bird with a cross bar on the rack of his lifted Blazer.

22. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh i ve got some good ones...:eek: ...we had a rental car and my friend wanted to see if i could drive towards him, he would step on the hood and walk over the whole car (i kno i kno,, we were drunk and 17....)obvioulsy the trick did not work too well and i broke his arm...i did not actually run it over but dragged a poodle for like 100 meters whe it s leash got someho tangled on my rear bumper from the owners hands who was crossing the street.

some guy killed himself, this is back home in colombia, he drove into a bus on his motorcycle we were behind him, my cousins boyfriend was driving, he tried to get out of the way but we ran over the dude s arm.
    -three bunnies
    -two racoons
    -many many many birds
    and a frog with a u-haul truck...:eek:
    oh oh and a chicken crossing the road at my farm in colombia

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've hit quite a few bugs with my windshield. We always say "well, that took guts" when it happens.

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

• A rabbit
    • A frog
    • A snake
    • A sewage pipe (before it was put in)

25. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

a list of stuff,
    my garage door.
    2 mailboxes (well same mailbox just hit it twice)
    basketball goal
    and
    me

luckily nothing has been hurt, as it was at a slow speed.

(for those of you who may ask "how did you hit yourself in a car you were driving" I wasn't driving but some friends and I were taking turns jumping out of a moving car(yes we're stupid) and I hit the door)