Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Ive got a heap of good headphones but the ones i use most are my V-Moda M100s. They have a really fun sound signature, are portable, built like a tank and look great. However when it comes to extracting the most detail out of a song i use my Hifiman HE-400's, they are planar magnetic's so require an amp to run them but they sound unreal.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Finally got sick of breaking headphone jacks, so I replaced my B&W C5s (the 5th pair I've had under warranty!) with a pair of PowerBeats2.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finally got sick of breaking headphone jacks, so I replaced my B&W C5s (the 5th pair I've had under warranty!) with a pair of PowerBeats2.

Ah. Now, that is interesting. And disappointing.

So, the B&W C5 has a headphone jack that is not up to B&W's usually legendary and excellent build quality? Five broken headphone jacks (especially in the warranty period) would seem to indicate that there is a bit of a problem with this particular piece of equipment.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Ah. Now, that is interesting. And disappointing.

So, the B&W C5 has a headphone jack that is not up to B&W's usually legendary and excellent build quality? Five broken headphone jacks (especially in the warranty period) would seem to indicate that there is a bit of a problem with this particular piece of equipment.

I love B&W, I've been a fan of them for years, but the C5 are a nightmare - and the ease at which they've just swapped them over a few times suggests they know about it. The series 2 have a reinforced protector around the jack, but the same problem always happens - intermittent audio in the left channel.

Normally with so many pairs I'd have thought it was me killing them, but it's the exact same symptom every time :(.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love B&W, I've been a fan of them for years, but the C5 are a nightmare - and the ease at which they've just swapped them over a few times suggests they know about it. The series 2 have a reinforced protector around the jack, but the same problem always happens - intermittent audio in the left channel.

Normally with so many pairs I'd have thought it was me killing them, but it's the exact same symptom every time :(.

Clearly, a design flaw then, and one I would expect them to remedy.

While I love B&W, the C5s would be my least favourite in their range of headphones.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I'm still using my 10 year old Sony MDR-7506 headphones and they still sound awesome! They have a closed ear design and are very comfortable without any fatigue.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
When at home and alone I love cranking up my Yamaha CRX-N560 network receiver.

When at home but not alone, I use my Sennheiser HD-598.

For the office/commuting/traveling I use a pair of beats studio wireless that were a gift. I have to say, although I wouldn't have bought these myself, their sound quality and noise cancelling were a nice surprise.

To use at the gym I have a pair of Bose freestyle earbuds. And finally, as a backup for when everything else fails, I always carry a pair of klipsch R6i on my briefcase.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

Do the PowerBeats2 really sound adequate coming from the B&W?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Ive got a heap of good headphones but the ones i use most are my V-Moda M100s. They have a really fun sound signature, are portable, built like a tank and look great. However when it comes to extracting the most detail out of a song i use my Hifiman HE-400's, they are planar magnetic's so require an amp to run them but they sound unreal.

I really hit it out of the ballpark with my choice of the M-100: best all-around headphones all considered IMO. Although I very rarely use them portably, instead opting for in-ear headphones. I'll be looking into V-Moda's new in-ear headphones coming out very soon, and Xiaomi's hybrid pair.

I wouldn't mind buying a planar magnetic at some point but I may not buy a new full-sized headphone for a while.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I really hit it out of the ballpark with my choice of the M-100: best all-around headphones all considered IMO. Although I very rarely use them portably, instead opting for in-ear headphones. I'll be looking into V-Moda's new in-ear headphones coming out very soon, and Xiaomi's hybrid pair.

I wouldn't mind buying a planar magnetic at some point but I may not buy a new full-sized headphone for a while.
Oh for sure the M-100's are fantastic, i use them all the time. They have really good detailed bass without ruining the mids.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448664729&sr=1-2

Sennheiser HD598 for $94, plus they're a special edition, not sure of what else that means other than they're black (vs. the slightly less traditional cream/brown of the standard 598s, but some people are really turned off by the regular design).

Awesome open headphone, incredible deal.

They are meant to be really good headphones.

I rather like the traditional 'cream and brown' design - it is different and quite clearly the Sennheiser HD598 - but that does sound as though it is a good deal. Enjoy them.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
^ The Black Friday deals on headphones this year have been insane, including my personal pick of the V-MODA M-100 effectively for half-price.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
^ The Black Friday deals on headphones this year have been insane, including my personal pick of the V-MODA M-100 effectively for half-price.

Don't tell me that! I shouldn't spend anymore on myself this year... but that is such an amazing sale on a set of headphones I've lusted after for years!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
B&O H8's.

I'm pretty happy with them. And if the rumors of Apple dropping the 3.5mm plug turn out to be true, I'm glad I went wireless.

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
2 Samsung earphones, 1 for travel and the other for the gym.
Sony MDR-V500 for home, backup DJ headphones
Sony MDR-V700 for DJing

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Can't go wrong with MDR-V6's. There is a reason why they're the preferred headphone at recording studios. I own headphones ranging from a mere $30 to $700. The Sony's with Beyerdynamic aftermarket cushions are one of the best for everyday use.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
B&O H8's.

I'm pretty happy with them. And if the rumors of Apple dropping the 3.5mm plug turn out to be true, I'm glad I went wireless.

Have you experienced drop out using a Mac ? Or any apple product

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Have you experienced drop out using a Mac ? Or any apple product

I'm sorry, is 'drop out' when there's a sporadic or total interruption in signal?

Generally no but have experienced it. I almost exclusively use them sitting in the den watching ATV about ten feet away and never lost signal. If I walk into the office about thirty feet away the sound breaks up pretty badly.

I've paired them with my iPad and called my iPhone (which hands it off to the iPad). The call rang in the headphones but I couldn't seem to get them to answer the call. Maybe that's due to the handoff??? I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot that or try it when paired to the iPhone.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm sorry, is 'drop out' when there's a sporadic or total interruption in signal?

Generally no but have experienced it. I almost exclusively use them sitting in the den watching ATV about ten feet away and never lost signal. If I walk into the office about thirty feet away the sound breaks up pretty badly.

I've paired them with my iPad and called my iPhone (which hands it off to the iPad). The call rang in the headphones but I couldn't seem to get them to answer the call. Maybe that's due to the handoff??? I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot that or try it when paired to the iPhone.

Cheers.

I've read reviews where people would say there would be sporadic drops in audio when listening to music while commuting, where the phone and headphones were close together.

They do look great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.