What Headphones Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JasonZ10, Jul 25, 2010.

1. JasonZ10, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

JasonZ10 macrumors newbie

Go to page 2, I did an update.

Hey Macrumors,
    I'm going to the states soon (I'm from Canada) and I'm getting new expensive headphones. My budget is about $200. I am currently looking at the Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD. They have a lot of unique response from people. Some people say the sound terrible and have too much bass, but others say they sound great and have very good lows and highs and decent mids. But all of the hate on them I've been hearing (or reading) is kind of changing my mind. I do admit I'm a sucker for style so I absolutely love these headphones looks.
    The things i want are:
    Over ear
    Pretty good looks
    Good bass
    Pretty Good quality

The things I don't want are:
    Skullcandy
    Random Generic Brands
    In-Ear
    Giant Headphones (nyuck nyuck nyuck)
    Bad sounding bass

I would like them to be sold in Bestbuy or any other shops in the Portland/Clackamas area of Oregon. (no tax :D) So what headphones are good for me?

]A Pair of headphones I may consider is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's which are supposed to have excellent quality, and are under $100, my only concern is the 10 ft cord, and how they are meant for studios.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Skullcandy Aviators? I don't know why you ruled out Skullcandy as a brand. They're not bad.

3. CTrav86 macrumors member

The ATH-M50's are awesome. Yes, they are meant for studio work, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to use them in the studio. I've got a pair, and the bass response is great, the highs are crisp, and the mid's are anything but muddy. Very accurate headphones (you will hear things in the music that you won't hear on other consumer/non-studio headphones). Another to look at is the Beyerdynamic DTH-770, but when I was comparing the two, I liked the sound of the M50's better. You can pick them up at Guitar Center, but make sure to have them price match online prices. Got mine for like 108 out the door (with tax in my state). As far as I know, they only carry the straight-cord version, but the M50's are available with the curly-cord as well.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I haven't heard the Aviators, but I wouldn't expect it to be a whole lot better than the Beats by Dre, which I don't recommend.

Save some money, but the Panasonic RP-HTX7s. Style and good sound have a nasty habit of not going well together.

5. JasonZ10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well how are the Skullcandys? I could see myself getting the GI's, the Skullcrushers or the Ti's or something like that but I heard that most of it is bass and you can't hear the mids and highs very good. Also, how is the noise cancellation, the sound quality, and the sound leakage on the skullcandy headphones?

EDIT: I might get the Skullcrushers, they have a built in sub, and look sexyy

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would go with the Audio technica M50. they are worth a lot more than their price imo. Very highly rated. they also don't look dorky.

7. JasonZ10 thread starter macrumors newbie

K, well I've devised a devious plan :D I'm going to go to Best Buy, buy the Skullcrushers, if I am disappointed with the quality, I will return them and buy the Solo HDs.

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Good headphones? Forget Best Buy. Instead give a read to http://www.goodcans.com/. Then go buy yourself some Sennheisers, Grados, or even KOSS. I'm not familiar with ATH, so maybe go listen to them.

In any event, don't get cheapies or "mass market" junk like they sell at Best Buy. You will really hear the difference with quality professional headphones.

9. mmulin macrumors 6502

The recently released Beyerdynamic T50p are my current favourites. Although it might break your $200 budget slightly.

10. Vashti macrumors member

I can't help with what to buy as I've only used in ears, but I have listened to the Dr. Dres. Make sure you listen to them before you buy them. I hated them. I thought they added a lot of bass that was not in the original music. Unless you're a serious bass head, these are probably not for you.

11. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Doesn't seem like a very good plan to me... In my opinion, both of those will not be very good. Go for the Panasonics linked earlier or a nice pair of Grados.

Edit: Those Audio Technica's will be much improved over skullcandies.

12. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Headphone-wise, I go with the SHURE 550's - the sound is TERRIFIC

However, you say that you don't want in-ear - with that, I recommend the Bowers & Wilkins P5 -

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX584ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTcyNTEzODk

Sound clarity is solid and the company knows sound - I agree with everyone else on the Dre headphones - way too much base and an exaggerated price for a 'name' on the brand

13. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

14. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I am sure people will disagree with me but BOSE's Around-the-ear Triport are wonderful for me. I have had them for 2 years and still they run perfectly. Plus, they have replaceable foam ear-covers, if needed, for 35 dollars... I still use my original ones and travel a lot with them.

The base is deep and the around-the-ear foam attenuates background noise better than I expected. Great in my grad student office to cancel some chinese background chatter and AC... :)

They cost $125 now on Amazon and are available in BestBuy but may be more expensive there...

I defo recommend them and so does all my friends who have used them... good luck.

15. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

If I had to throw in my opinion, I would vote for the Bose in-ear headphones. I think they carry a price of around $100. For the size they have great response. I am sure there are many choices out there, but the hard part is there really is no great way to try them all. I think you are taking the right route here by getting opinions. That being said, I wonder how people got what they are recommending. For example, I got these in a contest. I never would have bought them otherwise. Now I would definitely purchase a replacement if something happened.

16. ajmicek macrumors newbie

17. DeuxIt macrumors member

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Literally just got a pair of Klipsch X10i for the iPhone today. An amazing amount of sound comes from a very tiny ear bud...perhaps the smallest on the market. Incredible bass, if not a bit boomy at times. The MOST comfortable buds I've ever worn. Barely noticeable.

The mic is great because it provides a small amount of feedback...you can hear your own voice in the headphones when you talk into the mic.

Dozens of reviews out there. $350 retail; $260 on ebay.

19. Vashti macrumors member

There are some wild suggestions here. Remember his budget is $200. The Klipsch are $350. The recommended Shures are over $500.

20. VictoriaStudent macrumors regular

VictoriaStudent

If your budget is $200, save yourself $120 of that budget at get a set of Grado SR-80s.

Grado headphones are well beyond remarkable in their quality, staging, warmth, etc.

They make sound...sound better.

do some googing in some audiophile journals, where they are well-received by critics.

edit: How funny. I just noticed the pair of grado cans you linked to. Yeah, those are pretty dramatic. So, alas, the style of grado products is probably not for you.

21. JasonZ10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm just gonna go to a few stores and test out as many as I can and pick out my favourite, I'm now considering the Skullcandy Aviators.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Perhaps the OP should define what they care about most: looks or sound quality.

Both are subjective, but even people on Head-Fi admit that Grados aren't sexy. I assume by "going to the states" you mean that you are traveling via plane, car and want headphones for that. If that is the case forget the Grados and most the open headphones.

23. JasonZ10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm driving to oregon, from BC as a vacation and I'm going to pick up headphones while I'm there because of cheaper prices and no taxes.. And I honestly care more about style but I still want pretty decent quality, thats why I'm going to test a bunch out. Do the Apple Stores have Beats by dre Solo HD floor models?

24. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I've never gone wrong with Sony or Shure, although some models of theirs suck.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe so. If that's the case... I'd look somewhere else (different company)...