What headphones to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick1516, Sep 18, 2009.

1. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

My headphones just broke on me again and I'm getting sick of buying <$20 headphones that last a few months until they break and I have to get new ones. So can anybody recommend me a good pair of headphones? Need to be: <$100
    in-ear headphones
    last a LONG time:p

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Apple In-Ear headphones will probably last you a very long time.

But, they aren't the best sound quality for the price.

3. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Are they any better than their in-ear version from about 2 years ago? I used to have them but they broke on me as well after a 4-6 months.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Has anyone tried the Bose In-ear headphones? I bought some off Ebay...and they did not seem like what people described...it was high pitch...uncomfortable...:mad:

5. GTJ macrumors newbie

I had the bose in ears and really didnt like them,not very balanced,expensive and uncomfortable.I have the sennheiser cx500's and the on ear 228's. I'd really recomend the 228's which are soo comfy and sound great they fold flat for travel too. Their retail is about 100 i think but you can get em online round 50-60. I picked up up on play in the uk for 32 sterling. Great value. The CX range are really good too and can be found cheap but watch for fakes!

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I like my new apple in-ear buds (got them for $37.50 so that was even better)...

I also have JVC Bi-metalHA-FX300's = $69 for the pair and much better sound isolation, comfort and balanced rich sound than the Bose in-ear's I have...

I liked the Bose for a couple months during the winter until it started getting warmer and they would easily pull from my ears while riding my bicycle... then I started feeling the sound was too base heavy and slightly "muddy".

I also got a pair of Panasonic RPJEH300's on a clearance shelf for $12.50 (normally $25) and they sound surprisingly good for a "cheap set" of ear buds with very good sound isolation and comfort.

I also have Sharper Image on ear, Panasonic on ear and Sony ear buds = all of which are active noise cancellation phones (and all of which I got for 50 - 75% off which made them $39, $37.50 and $20 respectively)... the Panasonic on-ears sound the best and are the most comfortable but they are large so they usually only get used on long plane flights... the SI's and the Sony ear buds are my least favorite of any of my on or in ear phones.

7. mknapper1 macrumors newbie

Skullcandy has a lifetime warranty on all of their products... If your headphones break you send them in and you recieve a new pair no questions asked

8. Mugwumper macrumors regular

And they sound good . . . ;^)

These are actually very good sounding, and only about $60. Plus, they have
    a carrying case! ;^)

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

LAWL. I'm going to invest in them now. That's a good investment don't you think? :cool:

10. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

after perusing a few audiophile forums for a few weeks, I decided to get the Denon AH-C551 a year ago and love them. I bet they'll last for years to come. they have very powerful bass, decent midrange, and good highs. list price is ~$100 but selling for $52 on amazon right now... always around $50-60 somewhere. check out the Denon C551, and also the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 and Audio Technica ATH-CK7... all 3 models are in-ear and are very comfortable

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'm pretty happy with the Shure SE210 sound isolating earphones.

12. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Cant agree more - I have the shure 510 and have to say although pricey these things are great - truly amazing sound

Am shure their 110 and 210 are also very good

13. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Opinion is subjective...

... and personal, and you need to hear for yourself, however, there is always some sort of intent to PSEUDO-objectivize or standardize the features/quality of products in the same category.

In the case of in-ear-headphones, this is one of those intents.

I think you should read it. It helps, at least, to put things in perspective.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Koss Spark Plug or Porta Pro. I have both and I can easily say that they are best in market in their price category + lifetime warranty. I prefer porta pros even more because they have better sound but aren't in-ear

15. omarjk macrumors regular

16. omarjk macrumors regular

Ooh, just checked out those Porta Pros - very sexy beast, and you say they deliver in sound quality too?

17. amblue macrumors newbie

I have the Bose around-ear-headphones. They cost more than $100 ($139) but sound excellent. I've used them for 5 years with my iPod and loved the listening experience. I just broke off one of the ear pieces and replaced with a new model. Wish Bose had the same policy as SkullCandy. Had I known about that and the sound quality of the SkullCandy's I might have given them a try as well.

I also have a few pairs of the Sony $20 around ear sound monitors and they sound very good for the $.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, very good quality. No matter how loud you want to listen, the quality will be the same. Seriously, all my friends have those and about 50% of people in my school have them. Price isn't bad either, less than 30€ here in Finland and you can't get other headphones with that quality and warranty for that price. Absolutely great headphones!

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Im curious...which model of Skullcandy is good? I saw some at BestBuy but I didn't think they were good...so I didn't buy them...so any suggestions?

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

21. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

So what do you have to do to get a replacement with skullcandy? I had a pair of the full metal jacket earphones that broke on me a while back.

22. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I never used skullcandy but usually you have to mail the receipt and broken unit back to the company... it also helps if you have the original packaging to protect them from further damage in the mail...

23. hajime macrumors 68030

24. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Howzabout these...

V-moda Vibe

I picked up a pair with my new nano for only US$60 at the Apple Store last week. It's my second pair; the first ones still work fine after well over a year. Three or four different colors to choose from; the photo I linked to shows Midnight Blue, which matches the 4th gen nano's blue exactly, and is quite close to my new 5th gen nano's shade of blue (and has the same polished finish to boot).

Yes, the plug may look a little strange, but the reason for the odd shape becomes immediately evident once you plug it in. It helps prevent breakage at one of the most common stress points of headphones-- the area just behind the plug, where the wires start to bend. They're much easier to unplug than right-angle plugs, too.