what I REALLY want: iPod touch with iPad data plans

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by diligentgeek, Apr 23, 2010.

1. diligentgeek macrumors newbie

diligentgeek

I can't be alone in this. I don't need voice calls. I don't really need text messaging. All I want is an iPod touch that can access the Internet everywhere. That's why the iPad's 3G data plans are so encouraging (and yet so frustrating). $30/month for unlimited data, no contract? Yes, please! But give it to me in a form that I don't need a backpack to carry.

Yes, yes. I know. Apple will not do this, since it would cannibalize their iPhone sales. But consider the recent iPhone 4.0 OS announcement. Skype and other VOIP apps will be permitted to run in the background on the new iPhone. In other words, you could do all your "voice stuff" and never even touch your AT&T voice plan minutes. What's the point of paying $40-60+/mo. for voice calls that you don't even need?

Here's what I'd be willing to buy; tell me if you think I'll get it in the next few years: an iPhone/Touch-sized device, with unlimited, data-only access, for $30-60 per month.

2. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

I would love this. Another option would be to have an internal chip for clear wireless (possibly VZ + Tmobile as well) that allows you to connect to their (very cheap) mobile service rather than AT&T 3G. Many laptops already have this.

I suspect AAPL wont add 3G to the iPod touch, as it is already somewhat close to a phone replacement using skype/mic. I imagine that a mic and 3G are two things AAPL is reluctant to put on the touch because it would then start cannibalizing iPhone sales. As it is, the iPhone is already cannibalizing ipod sales. While it makes sense for the consumer, it doesnt seem like a great business plan. Not to mention that it would make AT&T quite displeased as they would see a huge drop in iphone 2 year overly expensive subscriptions.

3. Jobzilla macrumors newbie

I appreciate it involves carrying another gadget, but...

Get a wireless mobile hotspot? That way you can continue to use your existing iTouch, without plugging something into it that'll drain the battery faster.

The market will be saturated with mobile hotspots once the 3G version of the iPad comes out, I reckon. This will drive down the cost of the hardware... shop aroud to find the best mobile comms tariff where you live.

4. diligentgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

diligentgeek

I'm still surprised that so many people are willing to spend $100+/mo for a smartphone. But maybe there's a big potential market still untapped: people (like me) who are waiting for a more affordable portable Internet device?

This is good advice, and I've seriously considered it. But the wireless companies price their data-only plans far too high. $60+ for 5GB/mo. just isn't good enough for me. But I'm hoping that the iPad will push data-only plans down in cost.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Data plan prices will only go UP, not down. As more people start to use iPads, the telcos will see the opportunity to charge more. AT&T is certainly going to up their data plan rates soon.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I have what you want.

Its called an iphone.

I dont think you'll be able to VOIP over ATT with skype for iphone OS 4.0

Sure it will run in the background, and you can probably receive push notifications and texts through it, but I HIGHLY doubt placing and receiving calls will be allowed.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You ALMOST have what the OP wants. An unlocked iPhone that could take PAYG sims allowing you to basically just use it for data would be perfect. This exists in some countries, but not the US.

8. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

if you use t-mobile monthly plans, you can subscribe to edge from your iphone. it is 2g internet, nationwide coverage and costs $10/mo. what i am using instead, is an iphone with tmobile prepaid and then clear wireless (CLWR) internet city-wide for an additional $10/mo to my monthly bill. while this setup is not as convenient as edge or even a verizon mifi (which would be $60/mo for just 5gb), it combines elements of being both fast and cheap. i do not believe edge is currently possible with prepaid.

if you are willing to be creative, there are some solutions to this problem. its worth it to permanently get out of the disgusting 2 year contracts of T and VZ.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

That is why data-only plans will become $60-70 per month once such gadgets become commonplace.

10. TnIan macrumors member

Really hope they come out with an iPod Touch w/3G and iPad-like data plans. $15/mo for 250 megs & no contract would be perfect. I don't need phone service or a camera or a compass or the super-duper screen or any of the other things that would still make people want an iPhone instead of a Touch. I just wish I could check my mail or whatever without *having* to scrounge an open hotspot.

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

That would be cool.

12. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The best thing, and it's a possibility in the future, would be to merge the iPod touch and iPhone into a single product, and sell the iPhone unlocked. Since that won't happen, I agree that a 3G-capable iPod touch could be neat.

13. johnnyham macrumors regular

Funny that AT&T has actually dropped their data plan prices from just $30/month to $25 and $15/month plans... Although they no longer offer unlimited data access.

Adding 3G data connectivity to an iPod touch would only increase the strain on AT&T's network, which is already sagging enough. The Verizon MiFi is free if you sign up for a new account with a data-only plan. Sprint offers the same. One guy even hacked his 3G iPad to put the MiFi internals inside.

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

But if they sold it unlocked then they wouldnt be available with contracts.

15. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

Get a cell phone with ability to use as a mobile hotspot, add unlimited data plan and tether wifi.

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Apple cant satisfy everyone.

17. johnnyham macrumors regular

Good luck finding an unlimited plan in the US. Almost all the major carriers are only offering 5GB, 2GB, 200MB, etc. plans. They're cheaper, but better hope you don't exceed your limits. I'm pretty sure that AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon no longer offer unlimited plans... are there any others that still do? T-Mobile maybe?

18. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

They used too, thats odd. Im not sure about post paid but pre paid has unlimited data for T-Mobile. :)

19. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Touch with data is number 1 on my wish list too.

I have some hope that the next Touch will come with wifi+3G because they allowed it in the iPad. Maybe they're trending in that direction because data is so hot right now. It's just more revenue all around and I personally think it wouldn't effect their iPhone sales. Plus, they have 2-3 more months to sell the iPhone 4 before Touch 4 even comes out. MILLIONS and MILLIONS (Dr. Evil lines never get old) of the phones will be sold by then.

In the meantime, submit a request to Apple to include 3G capability. Hopefully they're listening:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodtouch.html

20. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont think i would pay 30 bucks a month when i could get the same thing for free with wi-fi.

21. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

That's why they'll offer a wifi only and a wifi + 3G (or at least I hope). We can all be happy! ;)

22. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I guess, i wont be taking my ipod touch very far from the home except vacation, maybe. I'm not sure if it will ever leave home, or if i'll even touch it. ;)

23. androiphone macrumors 65816

ipod touch + mifi??

doesnt sprint do an unlimited '4G' mifi plan?

24. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Virgin Mobile USA offers unlimited data in their $25/month plan. Too bad no iPhone and mediocre phones, though the LG Rumor Touch looks not half bad.

But unlimited does exist.

25. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It does. I haven't seen any data only plans, except iPad data plans.