What if Apple only updates the band options?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by daviedave, Sep 4, 2016.

1. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

hi guys,

Here comes a thought: what if apple only presents us new bands on wednesday and aw2 comes out next year/is only introduced? This idea doesnt get out of my head because from an economic perspective it would make sense as apple could release new watches in a 3-year-cycle (which - some of us might know - is the expected lifespan of aw by apple).

Anyways i am on the fence of upgrading my sport to a steel version, what would you guys do if that happens? Cannot wait

2. eastwoodandy macrumors member

Very unlikely they would announce a new version then delay shipping.

Apple only has a big delay between announcement and shipping dates when it's a brand new product. This is to avoid massive leaks, they have to submit the hardware to various approval bodies across the world many of which are publicly accessible.

So the other option is they don't announce AW2 at all. We have had a number of leaks on new AW parts as well as supply chain orders, so it's pretty certain at this point.

If they don't, what else is there to talk about? Operating systems that are already widely used through betas and a not very revaluationary iphone.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Right.

And, to remind the OP to go back in Apple's history -- of all the generations of iPhone, only the first was announced six months prior to going on sale; and a decade earlier, Apple was sitting on warehouses full of unsold hardware because they kept promising, "Just wait for the next version, it'll be even better!" That was when Steve Jobs, still ousted from Apple, was quoted as saying, "Isn't it funny, a ship that leaks from the top."

Apple nearly got burned when images of the first iPod Shuffle leaked out and a copycat manufacturer started spitting them onto store shelves a week or two prior to Apple's reveal. The Shuffle is small potatoes compared to the iPhone and Apple Watch. Imagine if they got leaked.

BUT, if the AW2 is not announced (which I agree is unlikely at this point; I'm still surprised anybody thought it would appear in Sep 2015!), are people going to wait until Spring 2017? Or will they keep waiting until Fall 2017? OR, will they just go, "Aw, hell, I'll buy it today 'cuz I can't wait anymore."?

4. daviedave thread starter macrumors member

daviedave

Good point guys, i was unaware of that fact. Thanks so far :)

5. lucazkoh macrumors member

or what if apple decides to be nice and sells the new AW2 as a face only so we don't have to buy a bundled new band? :D

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm down for that. They already have boxes for just the watch bodies.

7. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

As many assume, the iPhone 7 will not sell as well as the 6 due to no new form factor, I think that Apple is hoping that the Watch 2 will sell much better and make up for some of the lower iPhone numbers.

8. MxChino macrumors member

That's what I'm hoping for but knowing Apple it's unlikely. I already have Apple branded link braclet, Milanese loop and leather loop. I really don't need another band. If it's not an option I guess I'll just get an aw2 with classic buckle.

What would really be nice is an Apple Watch trade in program so I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to sell my old one.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

However, Apple is perfectly content with giving the new iPhone no new form factor every other year (in the form of S-type update), yet they do nothing about making up the lower iPhone numbers if there's such a thing. You'd be surprised how many people are now calling the iPhone 7 a decent upgrade just by adding glossy piano black finish and a few key features.