iPhone 7 to Include Five Colors, IPX7 Water Resistance, Dual 12MP Cameras on Plus Model

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a very solid track record when it comes to Apple product rumors, has released his most detailed research report yet ahead of Wednesday's iPhone 7 launch. The report recaps a number of claims previously shared by Kuo and others while also introducing several new tidbits about the device.

Kuo notes that there are many upgrades and other changes with the iPhone 7, but because the overall design is similar to the iPhone 6s, "general users may not feel the differences significantly." Details on the iPhone 7 include:

- New A10 chip from TSMC that could top out at 2.4-2.45 GHz, although Apple may clock it a bit lower due to heat and power consumption concerns.

- Storage capacities of 32 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB on both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 7 Plus will include 3 GB of DRAM to support the dual-lens camera, while the iPhone 7 will continue to include 2 GB.

- Five color options including the usual silver, gold, and rose gold, along with a "dark black" replacing the usual Space Gray. A new fifth color Kuo describes as glossy "piano black" will also be offered. A photo of SIM trays in those five colors surfaced earlier this week.

[​IMG]
    - Improved IPX7 water resistance matching that of the original Apple Watch and making the device suitable for splashes, showering, and even brief dips in water up to one meter deep.

- No headphone jack, with Apple providing both Lightning EarPods and a Lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapter in the box. Removal of the headphone jack will allow for an upgraded speaker and a new sensor for improved Force Touch.

[​IMG]

- Earpiece receiver to become a speaker with the addition of a new audio amplifier. Rather than putting a second speaker at the bottom in place of the headphone jack, Apple is said to be upgrading the earpiece receiver at the top of the device to become a full speaker. The change would provide enough separation to allow for stereo sound when the device is held in landscape orientation.

- Pressure-sensitive click-less home button to benefit water resistance. New haptics to mimic a clicking sensation when the button is pressed will be included.

- Wide color displays in the same sizes and resolutions as the current iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The wide color technology adopted from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro will offer better color quality.

- Dual-lens rear camera on the iPhone 7 Plus, which will increase Apple's costs by about $40 and could make the iPhone 7 Plus more expensive than the iPhone 6s Plus. Both lenses will be 12-megapixel, but one will be a wide-angle camera with larger pixel sizes, a 6P lens, and optical image stabilization, while the second will be a telephoto lens with smaller pixel sizes and a 5P lens.

[​IMG]

- Upgraded rear camera flash with four LEDs (two cool and two warm) and a new ambient light sensor for better image quality.

- Possible upgraded proximity sensor shifting from LED to laser for faster response and greater recognition distance, as well as potential gesture recognition.

- FeliCa NFC support in models sold in Japan, as had been previously rumored for either the iPhone 7 or the 2017 iPhone.

Overall, Kuo believes iPhone 7 shipments will be below that of the iPhone 6s through the end of the year, coming in at 60-65 million compared to 82 million last year. Kuo reports that Apple's water resistance requirements resulted in low assembly yields that pushed back the start of mass production until the second half of August.

Make sure to check out our "What to Expect" post for a recap on other announcements expected at Wednesday's event and stay tuned to MacRumors for other last-minute news and rumors. On the event day, we'll have full live coverage here on MacRumors.com and through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account, starting at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: iPhone 7 to Include Five Colors, IPX7 Water Resistance, Dual 12MP Cameras on Plus Model

2. Someone256, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

Someone256 macrumors newbie

As long as it won't explode I think Apple have a winner here lol

3. deany, Sep 3, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Very good news - if correct - that the iPhone 7 standard will also have 256GB option.

Good to read also they are including the FREE 3.5mm adapter in the box - a lot of folks thought I was crazy predicting this months ago.

4. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

5. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

6. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

7. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

When is this site officially renaming itself to Ming-Chi Kuo rumors?

8. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Sounds not enough to upgrade from iPhone 6s plus

9. MACelmore macrumors regular

I'll take that piano black in 128GB. Overall seems like a solid upgrade, I just hope they include Bluetooth air pods.

10. nabeel24 macrumors regular

Sounds like a pretty solid upgrade overall!

Depending on each person's perspective. These upgrades will amount to a better experience in day to day use. I'm in!

11. trife macrumors 6502

trife

Really wish wireless charging was included this go-around. Oh well.

Guess we'll have to wait until the 8.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Piano black to match Apple Watch Space Black equals: great

13. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully the piano black finish will have less noticable antenna lines compared to the other colors...hopefully not white lines...

14. mabok macrumors member

What view is this?

Attached Files:

15. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

watt about the SE, it's a two-year product cycle confirmed?

16. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm impressed, two minutes before the launch out come these leaks. Where were these in June?

17. JOV97 macrumors newbie

It's the SIM card trays I believe!

18. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Seems not going to happen,don't get so excited

19. Oohara, Sep 3, 2016

Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

In before earpiece speaker gate blowing people's brains out :D

And for the wishlist: gesture controls possible by swiping on the home button please!

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

And why do people need to upgrade their phone every year?

21. Sappharad, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

Sappharad macrumors member

What happened to the blue one that pictures were posted of a few weeks back? I liked that color. :-(

Edit: Actually BGR posted new pictures of it a few days ago:
    http://bgr.com/2016/08/29/iphone-7-rumors-leaked-photos-blue-iphone-7-plus/
    Edit 2: It appears all of the "photos" of the blue one may have been mock-ups / photoshopped. Some of the earlier articles didn't make this distinction, but the article I linked in my previous edit specifically mentions that those photos are mock-ups. That's a shame; I liked the color.

22. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

And you're going to put it in a case

23. zahuh macrumors regular

24. dredlew macrumors member

For me, the better camera iterations have always justified an upgrade every year. Having now two cameras, can't wait to see what Apple's software implementation will be. Just hate the fact that this will only be available on the plus. Goodbye one-handed use, ugh.

25. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Damn ****ing we need a new iPhone after two years o_O and not a old recycled with some minor changes