What if Apple Watch increase the price every year ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tonoboon, May 3, 2015.

1. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

The traditional watches, the price is always increase every year ,5% - 10% .
    What if next gen Apple Watch increase the price tag >?
    Is that possible ? :D

2. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

Everything is possible. Maybe they will give free pizza too, but I doubt it.

3. Zxxv macrumors 68040

like they did with the iPad mini. Its a possibility. Better screen on sport next year?

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

If they do, 42 may be the base and all the watches would include a camera, higher res screen, and more sensors. They will probably introduce a platinum option for over $30K.

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Don't know I want a camera on a watch. Going toilet public and private. Sex. Showers. Seems to easy to hack and monitor.

6. H3rman macrumors 6502

Why does everyone talk about the next gen watch having a camera? It's a watch, I don't want a camera on my watch. Apple are also pushing this really hard to be a luxury piece of jewellery and not a piece of tech, so I highly doubt the next one would have a camera, it would just make it look to much like a piece of tech.

Not to mention that from the very beginning the watch was perceived as something that you would use for a few seconds at a time, not stand with for half an hour and face time on.

A camera on the next one is highly unlikely IMO, and if it does have a camera I think it will seal Apples fate as a tech company and not a luxury brand that sells fine jewellery which is what they are ultimately pushing for. Hence selling watches in high end stores across the world before they put them in their own stores.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Do you really think they are going to miss out on the opportunity to FaceTime from your watch? It's obvious that a camera is coming to the watch! That would be huge, and pretty amazing to be able to do that...small screen or not! It's happening, so deal with it.

8. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

A hi res camera for taking photos, maybe not, but a front facing camera for FaceTime? YES.

9. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

The best thing you can do to not have to worry about that is to give Apple all of your Cards and signed blank checks. That will solve the problem!

:eek:

10. whatos macrumors 6502a

It's both simple and obvious.

We're living in a video obsessed society.

But you say, it's a watch! Yes and years ago it was a Phone!

Now look at how absolutely critical a camera is to a phone. And... Not just any camera, it must be the best!

You don't want it on the watch, yet it remains to be seen just how many do. Time will tell.

11. mpike78 macrumors regular

I had a gear 2 that had a camera and it sucked plain and simple. Where they had the camera you had to hold your arm at such an angle it made taking a pic terrible.

Now a front facing for face time might be nice.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

FaceTime would be a battery killer. Don't hold your breath.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The price won't increase because it's designed to become obsolete, unlike traditional watches.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While I don't disagree there are at least 3 major obstacles to overcome.

• Creepiness (Apple doesn't want a Google 'glass-hole' debacle)
    • Size/location (paring down to fit and having it at an angle to work plus arm steadiness will be a challenge)
    • Battery Life (Apple doesn't want to sacrifice all day batt life, so we need an improvement)

15. H3rman macrumors 6502

As said above, do you really think your watch battery is going to last more than 1 hour if being used for FaceTime?

A watch has historically always been a beautiful and elegant piece of jewellery for time keeping. Now I'm all for going with the times and adding new features to watches, hence I have one on order, but a camera is not one of thos things.

Go on, try holding your hand up in front of your face for 30 minutes to simulate what it would be like when using FaceTime. Then come back and let us know how much agony your arm is in after having to keep it held up for all that time. That is probably the number 1 reason it won't work. holding your arm up for long periods of times is not comfortable, so no-one would use it after trying it 1 or 2 times and Apple engineers would quickly realise that if they ever even thought about implimenting it.

A camera on a watch is not a realistically practical item. Sure some people might think it's cool and all that other rubbish, but it is probably the worst possible use of a watch you could possibly imagine.

16. Glene macrumors 6502

The watch may be "hot" to the apple fans here, but in real life it's not...I doubt you'll see any price increases for a long time unless substantial device features/components are added....

17. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I fully agree even I am cooling off on the watch with the scratching on the sport models and the very pricy Watch editions.

i know myself and I would scratch to unreadable the crown on the Sport edition and the Watch edition is so darn pricy and with Apple Marketing heavily to the Stars leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

sorry for the rant!

:eek:

18. Docsteel macrumors member

I believe one day they will put one in, but I think it come at a point they need something "new" to introduce.

I also am one of the few folks who don't believe it is a given that a refresh is going to be an annual occurrence, I am predicting it will be on a two to three year cycle myself. They want the watches to have some degree of perceived value to them, unlike phones which are seen as a disposable electronic. Of course I could be completely wrong :p

19. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I agree they would like that. But they probably will learn so much in the process of making the first gen and then having millions using it, not to mention what the part suppliers will learn, that Apple will so easily be able to improve the watch in a year that they will basically have to.

But that doesn't mean the first gen is going to lose all value.

20. whatos macrumors 6502a

I agree completely. Yet I thought, and still think a camera on an iPad is a poor idea. But the demand for all types of cameras is nearly insatiable.

Frankly to be perfectly honest I'd be thrilled if there was an option to purchase an iPhone without a Camera. I'm forced to carry an additional older feature phone that doesn't have a Camera, or be denied entrance when I'm scheduled for meeting at NASA. An all day event,
    being without a phone is unacceptable, as is leaving my iPhone with security.

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

platinum is no more expensive than gold at this point.

22. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Apple is still a tech company at its core. They are a tech company that sports an image of world-class sophistication and polish with their products, but still a tech company.

By the way, I wouldn't mind a camera on a watch. There are uses other than the creepy kind. Personally, as a roller coaster enthusiast, I would finally be able to legally and safely record POV videos on rides. I'm sure Jony & Company can make it look seamlessly integrated into the watch if they tried. Of course, they won't unless battery tech is improved.

----------

Are you sure? Why are platinum rings consistently more expensive than 14k/18k white gold?

23. tivoboy macrumors 68030

well, there IS a difference between 14K/18K gold, 24K is rarely used as it is very malleable and can bend, so the use lower grade gold mixed with another metal/allow to strengthen..

but, 24K gold vs. platinum and this point is a dead heat.

24. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

And where would you fit this camera, exactly? There is already a whiny but vocal "It's too thick" camp as it is...

25. nfl46 macrumors 603

What if Apple Watch increase the price every year ?

If you told me in 2014, we would have a 6.9mm iPhone, I would have laughed at you. Take the new MacBook internals for example...that type of engineering is insane to fit all those components in such a thin laptop. I'm SURE Apple will figure it out.