What if iPad3 does not have retina display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by qtx43, Aug 13, 2011.

?

Is is a sale?

1. No retina, no sale.

26 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Retina, schmetina, I'll need a new one by then.

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. I wasn't going to get one anyway.

18 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Next April, you walk into your friendly Apple store, and check out the new iPads. Faster processor and video, 32/64/128 flash storage, 4G wireless, 1 GB RAM, an awesome new App from Apple that only runs on the new iPad3... but the same display. After all those rumors!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seriously???

Let me tell you what's wrong with your post! I don't walk in and try the new iPad out! I'm in the que usually near the front and I don't stop to play I walk past to purchase!

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

While a higher retna resolution would be great, I will be looking at the total package. The iPad 2 is better, but not enough to make me buy it over the original iPad. Maybe once new programs and the iOS will not run well on my original unit I will consider an hardware upgrade.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

6. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt a retina display. Maybe a more hd display, but nothing with the ppi of the iPhone

7. LagFighter macrumors regular

I don't think people on these forums realize the gravity of that kind of display. It's ridiculously expensive and power consuming to put what would be considered a "retina" display on the iPad. It's not a problem on the iPhone because of the size of the device, but on an iPad it's a whole other game, and the displays increase in price exponentially.

You're insane if you think you're going to get a truly "retina" display at the current price points. Higher resolution is far from impossible, but retina is just about.

8. luked14 macrumors 6502

I completely agree. A retina display on a 9.7" screen would be something like a resolution of 2350x1762. That resolution is unheard of on any type of screen right now. We're looking at a few years down the road before that is cost effective.

9. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

If the 3 doesnt have retina then the 4 will, so just wait another twelve months

10. mpaquette macrumors regular

11. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

OMG, it's awesome enough, even without retina :)

12. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Without retina the world will explode :eek: lets just hope for the best

13. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

That would remind me on the transition form iPad 1 to iPad 2.
    The gain was minor; the cameras quite crap.

The adult in me said: wait, the increase is not worth, skip that one, get the next.
    The child in me was too noisy so the adult in me picked his credit card and made the child in me silent while playing with the new iPad 2.

But seriously: the memory constrains on iPad 1 was just too much. I often run in terminated apps because of memory. Plus I really like the smart covers.

I voted "no retina, no sales", but that's more a statement. Sure I get one.

14. jaytv111 macrumors regular

15. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I think the upgrade to the 2 was worth it just for the lighter slim design. Every thing else is a bonus

----------

I agree

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

So? Apple's under no obligation to meet rumors. What are you going to do, get mad or something?

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Uh, I won't care a bit.

Really people, the screen is already beautiful. Retina display or not, this is a great device.

18. PaulWog Suspended

Super AMOLED is actually a bit better than Retina.

I have it on my Samsung Wave. Was comparing the Wave to the iPhone 4 when I was in the market for a new phone almost a year ago. Although it's only good in my Wave since they put a high pixel density in (in the other Samsung phones that use super AMOLED, it doesn't look as nice since the screens are larger on those but with the same resolution).

Maybe they'll put that in the iPad 3 but with high res ^_^

Anyways... speaking seriously: I don't really care what they put in the iPad 3 specifically. I know they'll improve it, and I know they'll do it right. I'm fairly certain we'll all be relatively satisfied with the new revision.

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the retina moniker doesn't mean "over 300dpi"

if you remember, apple had determined that over 300dpi was what was necessary for a 3.5" screen viewed from 6" away...

an iPad screen is larger and is also viewed from further away than a phone, so to be a "retina display" on an iPad, a screen would not need such high DPI. I don't know what the number is, but I know it won't be 300