What if my new iMac died?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dimitrisl, Apr 10, 2013.

1. dimitrisl macrumors newbie

13 days ago I purchased the new 21,5" iMac BTO 16GB to replace my Sony laptop. I picked it up from the local Greek Apple official retailer store ''.
    I went to the Apple store and picked up my brand new iMac, brought it home, and began transferring large amounts of data and applications. Unfortunately my NAS goflex home never paired as backup for time machine so I already ordered a Lacie external HDD. The day before yesterday on April 7th, the iMac shut off suddenly. Start up chime was there but then black screen and despair. Erebus
    Quick research online and tried some various resets on it like unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds. Nothing. So, I made a panic trip to Systemgraph.
    It was a custom iMac (more RAM) for my needs of video editing. The repair stuff told me that it is probably a hardware crash and they would not be able to fix it. BUT according to Apple's politics and terms they would try to replace it , although as a BTO model there was not in stock and I should wait for the next shipment . AND THEN they made me angry.. They insisted that I have to return them the box, the carton, the protective staff in which iMac was delivered in!!!! Otherwise Apple would not accept the return/ replacement!!! Are they nuts? How should I know that Apple's state of the art iMac would die in 13 days so I had to keep the parcel for burying it? I saved almost 2000€ for months now (and you know how Greece lames these days) without any perspective to return the tool-of-excellence right away after trying it for a week! I dreamed of that powerful Mac just to get socked because the hardware failed 13days post purchase and I failed to imagine that I Ought to keep the wrapping for eternity so as Apple could claim it? And to make matters worse the kind stuff over there offered to do there best to fix it in case Apple does not accept the return of masterpiece.....

NO I STILL WANT A BRAND NEW IMAC !:(:mad:

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hard to read and understand your post.

But I presume you lost your iMac original packaging and unfortunately within 13 days your machine is half-dead?

Sorry but this is your fault.. why did you waste the box? It's only 13 days old and before you dump anything you could always use the box for when you need to move or repair the iMac (like in this case), or whenever you need to sell your iMac later.

You never know, but it's pretty sure a useful box.
    And it goes the same for any electronic.

Too bad you bought a high end 21.5" iMac since you could've put the money toward the base 27" and upgrade the RAM yourself for much much cheaper. Not to mention you get a bigger and more beautiful screen.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

It's a defective iMac and should be replaced. Tell Apple they can keep the box of the replacement iMac for shipping the defective unit it back to Apple.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

In the EU, you have statutory rights to get the things replaced. You do not need the box.

5. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Why would you think it was a good idea to throw away the original packaging prior to the 14 day return period? I always keep the box/packaging for as long as the return period lasts to avoid situations like you describe. In the case of computers I keep the box even longer so I can re-package when I resell later on.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

What a surprise. Make a note about throwing away a box. The point is that they spent $2000 Euros for a BTO iMac that is dead within 14 days. It is under warranty and should be repaired or replaced. I agree that they should have kept the box, but that is not the real issue.

Besides, what is Apple going to do with the box. Throw it away? They can not reuse it. If Apple replaces their iMac and repairs the bad one, it now becomes a refurb with no new retail packaging anyway.

7. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

It's an unfair lesson in learning to keep your packaging. Something I always do for reasons others have mentioned here.

From what I can take from the OP, it seems that he needs the box to get a replacement, but doesn't need the box to get the computer fixed.

My advice: Just get the computer fixed. They will put a new part in it and your computer will be fine.

If you have a good screen and everything else is okay on the computer, I'd definitely want it fixed instead of getting a new one. Plus, it's a 13 day old computer. If they put a new part in it, it's still new in my book.

Just get it fixed and enjoy your mac...

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

That's my point ... Why throw away the packaging? Sure it's worth nothing .. But we can always use the box for:

1. Moving the computer safely when you need to move to another house/apartment, or when you need repair like he is now. Would you let the machine bare naked?

2. Repack the machine when the time comes to sell it. Original packaging is a plus and you might get more for keeping the whole pack.

3. Sweet memories. iMac packaging is nice, and it keeps the smell of new Mac intact. You might miss it sometimes :D

9. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I get tossing the shipping box, UPS or FedEx or whatever. However, why on earth would you get rid of the actual packaging in less than 2 weeks?

The original packaging adds value when you go to resell, not to mention it is the best way to transport your computer any time you need to move it.

I still have the box for every Mac that I bought new and still own. Even my 17in G4 floating screen iMac box is on a shelf in the basement, next to 2 MacBook boxes, my current iMac box and iPad box.

They should still take care of you regardless of the box, but don't ever throw away the actual box. Find a space for it in storage.

----------

Oddly enough, people pay more for used Macs that have the original packaging. I even sold my old Pismo PowerBook to a Apple Authorized Reseller that sold both new and old machines. They upped their offer about 10% when I said I had all the original packaging.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Erm nope. Technically, the original packaging is part of the product, so they're well within their rights to want it back. You can't use the EU guidelines as a cop out for everything.

11. trustever macrumors 6502

When I have unwrapped mine I have saved also the stupid protective steakers as the bin was to far and it was easier just to wack them back in the box... So glad to have them all (just in case)...

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You do not have to return a faulty item in the original packaging. If you had just changed your mind it might be different. But faulty goods are faulty goods. You are within the doa period and are entitled to have it replaced.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What DOA period? Entitled how?

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

When you buy a product you have a period when it is considered within the doa period (dead on arrival). This varies with each manufacturer but is typically between 7-30 days. In this period you have the right to a new replacement. After which it would become a warranty issue where (again depending on manufacturer or fault) it would either be repaired or replaced (sometimes with a refurb unit).
    In the UK in addition to this, if you buy online you are entitled to return the item if you change your mind in the first 7 days. This is known as the distance selling act. I believe it may be Europe wide.

15. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The distance selling regulations applies in the UK. But apple offer no such DOA period, it is not required under any law in Europe, and there is no right to a replacement.

They normally will if your in your returns period, or haven't owned it long, as a gesture of goodwill though.

16. darksource666 macrumors newbie

a.) I always keep my packaging in my attic. Good for safe keeping
    b.) Apple should have another box somewhere...

17. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

I would never accept a repair on a machine that died a few days after purchase.

it's ridiculous to think that you can't get a replacement on a state of the art 2000 dollar machine that died a few days after purchase because you can't produce a 10 or 20 dollar cardboard box

18. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I don't think we are getting the full story here. Surely Apple would not have refused replacing a dead iMac less than two weeks after purchase simply over the missing box. While I think it was stupid beyond belief that he threw away everything that came with a brand new computer, that wouldn't prevent a return unless he had no proof of purchase. Apple would probably just charge a 10-15% restocking fee, whatever their set amount is.

19. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

either its a language barrier or there's something really wrong is goin' on here!

20. FreemanW macrumors 6502

The thread appears to be a slam-n-run post. Maybe a Samsung or Microsoft employee? :rolleyes:

If it is on the up and up, the problem here is not Apple, it is between the consumer and the authorized reseller.

The (original poster) consumer should not have destroyed the packaging and the reseller should be doing all within their powers to make the situation "right".

21. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I don't see why you don't have a problem with this and make it sound like if Apple accepts to give a replacement they're doing him a favour. Packaging or not it should be replaced no questions asked.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

More precise: You have statutory rights against the store that sold it, so the store _must_ fix the problem unless they can prove that you broke the iMac (within the first six months). Which should be hard to prove. You _also_ have a warranty from Apple, where Apple guarantees to fix problems in the first 12 months. The seller also has no right to force you to go to Apple, but if you had to (for example if the seller goes bankrupt before your Mac breaks) you have the right yourself to go to Apple.

And you definitely don't have to keep the packacking to get your Mac repaired. Apple is quite capable of sending out packages to customers. I usually keep packaging until I've used whatever product for a few days; a computer dying after 13 days is highly unusual; once it has worked for a day or two it would usually work until it dies from old age.

----------

That's if he wanted to return the product. But he wants a repair for a broken product, where both the seller and Apple are absolutely required to fix the product.

23. f64 macrumors newbie

Who doesn't keep their box? I've got boxes for electronics I've bought years ago just for that reason.

24. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I still have my iMac box, and TV box but that is it. And they are purely for transportation reasons when I move. I live in a one bed apartment. I can not be storing all my boxes.

To the op. you only need the box if you are returning the product within 30 days for a refund. As it is broken Apple are legally obliged to repair it. Obviously the box would be useful as it is designed to fit the mac, and stopes them saying it was damaged in the post.

Can you take it to an authorised repay centre? They should still be able to fix it under warranty?