Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
I cant believe the people who are discounting the PowerVR SGX543MP2 Dual Core GPU. Thats by far the next most important component, after the processor.

All the fluidity of the UI, smoothness of scrolling, video output, etc, is all driven by the GPU. It's because of strong GPUs and hardware graphics acceleration that Apple has gotten this far to begin with. Take away either, and you might as well be using Android. Because Android software renders, it sucks the battery 2x as fast.

People need to get a clue before discounting the very reason they like the iPhone.

It is this which provides the experience, as you say, the smooth scrolling etc. - and people want the experience.

However, most people don't really care where the experience comes from. It could be powered by a petrol engine or a fly's brain for all they care, as long as they get that experience. So while what you say is all true, it isn't the thing that people are looking for.

... If that makes sense.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It is this which provides the experience, as you say, the smooth scrolling etc. - and people want the experience.

However, most people don't really care where the experience comes from. It could be powered by a petrol engine or a fly's brain for all they care, as long as they get that experience. So while what you say is all true, it isn't the thing that people are looking for.

... If that makes sense.

My point is they need to educate themselves. If that makes sense.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
4" Screen
1GHz Dual Core A5 CPU
PowerVR SGX543MP2 Dual Core GPU
1GB RAM
64GB Model
8MP Camera with improved sensor and a lens, 1080p video recording
2MP Front camera
More Cowbell
NFC
LTE

Would you be happy with this? Insta buy?
Don't tell me you have fallen into the trap that more megapixels = a better camera. More megapixels = more noise in low light pictures. Remember that.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
4" Screen
1GHz Dual Core A5 CPU
1GB RAM
64GB Model
2MP Front camera
More Cowbell
NFC
LTE

Would you be happy with this? Insta buy?

I believe i would be really happy with..

4" Screen
1GHz Dual Core A5 CPU
1GB RAM
2MP Front camera
NFC

That would be the perfect phone in my eyes.
I don't care much for a 64GB model, and LTE isn't even global yet.

Don't tell me you have fallen into the trap that more megapixels = a better camera. More megapixels = more noise in low light pictures. Remember that.

Which is why we have Flash ;)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I believe i would be really happy with..

Which is why we have Flash ;)

Actually it all about a sensor that makes a camera not the flash. ;) And when we are talking about a little LED light. it's nice but it doesn't mean allot. A good Sensor means far more then megapixels or flash. that's why a 5mp camera can be better then a 8mp camera.

FortMOney

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The OP said an improved sensor, he didn't just bump up the MP

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Pink∆Floyd;13195337 said:
I would strongly oppose this

Why? HTC make the best bleeding edge hardware; phones with what are basically the best specs currently possible to deliver on a consumer smartphone, whereas Apple make the smoothest, most easy to use smartphone OS. If they worked together, the result would be amazing.

Of course, I know this is all in cloud-coo-coo land and there's no way it'll ever happen, but if it did, all I can say is :eek:

Last edited:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I cant believe the people who are discounting the PowerVR SGX543MP2 Dual Core GPU. Thats by far the next most important component, after the processor.

All the fluidity of the UI, smoothness of scrolling, video output, etc, is all driven by the GPU. It's because of strong GPUs and hardware graphics acceleration that Apple has gotten this far to begin with. Take away either, and you might as well be using Android. Because Android software renders, it sucks the battery 2x as fast.

People need to get a clue before discounting the very reason they like the iPhone.

Yea, that surprised me, the whole reason the iPhone is so much smoother than Android is it's utilization of the GPU hardware.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Yea, that surprised me, the whole reason the iPhone is so much smoother than Android is it's utilization of the GPU hardware.

That's what happens when the people who make your hardware don't work with the people who make your software.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually it all about a sensor that makes a camera not the flash. ;) And when we are talking about a little LED light. it's nice but it doesn't mean allot. A good Sensor means far more then megapixels or flash. that's why a 5mp camera can be better then a 8mp camera.
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I read in popular science about these camera phone sensors being developed that let a RIDICULOUS amount of light in. I believe it said it could almost take pictures at the quality of a nice point and shoot/a crappy DSLR.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I completely agree, 100%

People want the latest stuff, well I say wait for the finished, tested and perfected final product. This is the same regarding IOS5, I haven't installed any betas on the phone because I'd rather have a fully working and finished software for daily use :)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
4" Screen - Yes please
1GHz Dual Core A5 CPU - Yes
PowerVR SGX543MP2 Dual Core GPU - Probably good, don't know anything about mobile GPUs
1GB RAM - Logical increase
64GB Model - I dont need this, I bare fill my 32GB (many will like it though)
8MP Camera with improved sensor and a lens, 1080p video recording - if it improves image quality significantly, otherwise leave it as is
2MP Front camera - I'd never use it
More Cowbell - MOAR COWBELL!!!
NFC - would be cool if it was adopted where I live, not to fussed
LTE - Not available where I live, dont need it anyway

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
4" Screen - Yes please
1GHz Dual Core A5 CPU - Yes
PowerVR SGX543MP2 Dual Core GPU - Probably good, don't know anything about mobile GPUs
1GB RAM - Logical increase
64GB Model - I dont need this, I bare fill my 32GB (many will like it though)
8MP Camera with improved sensor and a lens, 1080p video recording - if it improves image quality significantly, otherwise leave it as is
2MP Front camera - I'd never use it
More Cowbell - MOAR COWBELL!!!
NFC - would be cool if it was adopted where I live, not to fussed
LTE - Not available where I live, dont need it anyway

For you and everyone else needing an education on this GPU:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/...rmance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked

This is one of the reasons the iPhone crushes Android in technology. Android is half the phone. This may change with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich, when they will finally catch up in theory to the original iPhone (as far as hardwareGPU plus Hardware graphics acceleration).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
For you and everyone else needing an education on this GPU:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/...rmance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked

This is one of the reasons the iPhone crushes Android in technology. Android is half the phone. This may change with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich, when they will finally catch up in theory to the original iPhone (as far as hardwareGPU plus Hardware graphics acceleration).

Those numbers pretty much mean nothing to me... The most informative part was where they had the comparisons to the Xoom. As far as I understand the smoothness of iOS has a lot more to do with the software being optimized for the hardware than it does with the actual raw power of the hardware.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Those numbers pretty much mean nothing to me... The most informative part was where they had the comparisons to the Xoom. As far as I understand the smoothness of iOS has a lot more to do with the software being optimized for the hardware than it does with the actual raw power of the hardware.

That’s the generalized description for the layperson. What’s really happening is because the iPhone has a dedicated GPU, and can utilize it through graphics acceleration, the phone runs smooth graphically. Android cant do that, it has to use CPU cycles to do everything, loading, running apps, AND drawing the screen. This takes way more processing power.

For example, here’s a good article that states that the Samsung GS2 might finally be reaching the performance levels of the iPhone 4. Now this guy doesn’t know that it's due to a lack of hardware graphics acceleration that Android cant match the iPhone in the way most users measure performance: smoothness/ fluidity. But it is interesting that the 1.2ghz SGS2 is finally being considered on par with the year old 800mhz iPhone 4. Its all due to the GPU.

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/07/03/...mpete-with-the-iphone-on-a-performance-level/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.