What if the iPhone 6 was made completely out of Sapphire crystal?

Jyby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2011

Like the unibody casing?

It would cost a fortune but we aren't really sure what Apple is doing with Sapphire quite yet.

I think it could improve cell signal and could possible be thinner since its sturdier than aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Sapphire shatters really easily, much more so than glass. It would be foolish to build a phone made entirely of sapphire.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sapphire shatters really easily, much more so than glass. It would be foolish to build a phone made entirely of sapphire.
Thats Cornings (maker of Gorilla Glass) argument toward sapphire glass.

However the counter to that is while an absolute perfect Gorilla Glass screen may be less likely to shatter when dropped it must remain absolutely flawless. The slightest scratch or nick in the glass increases its potential for shattering exponentially, well passed that of sapphire. And no one is arguing that sapphire is much much much harder to scratch.

Other arguments against using sapphire is its much more expensive, its heavier, and much worse on the environment to manufacture. Plus it doesn't transmit light as well meaning dimmer screens OR as bright screens with lower battery life. Or so I've read.

On topic I don't see it being used for the casing of the iPhone if nothing else manufacturing cost. But there is a longer list of reasons not to use it as a case/housing then to use it...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

However the counter to that is while an absolute perfect Gorilla Glass screen may be less likely to shatter when dropped it must remain absolutely flawless. The slightest scratch or nick in the glass increases its potential for shattering exponentially, well passed that of sapphire. And no one is arguing that sapphire is much much much harder to scratch.

Other arguments against using sapphire is its much more expensive, its heavier, and much worse on the environment to manufacture. Plus it doesn't transmit light as well meaning dimmer screens OR as bright screens with lower battery life. Or so I've read.

On topic I don't see it being used for the casing of the iPhone if nothing else manufacturing cost. But there is a longer list of reasons not to use it as a case/housing then to use it...
The original deep sea diving and moon landings watches had plastic 'crystals' as sapphire is prone to cracking, and in the case of the Apollo missions, NASA didn't want small sharp pieces floating around the space capsule. Hesalite plastic was chosen over sapphire and glass for the Omega Speedmaster (NASA) and original Rolex Submariner watches.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The original deep sea diving and moon landings watches had plastic 'crystals' as sapphire is prone to cracking, and in the case of the Apollo missions, NASA didn't want small sharp pieces floating around the space capsule. Hesalite plastic was chosen over sapphire and glass for the Omega Speedmaster (NASA) and original Rolex Submariner watches.

I'm not following your point. Those are specific application and non sapphire glass wasn't the replacement. Plus current applications on military submarines a most FLIR (forward looking infrared) military use uses sapphire lenses.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not following your point. Those are specific application and non sapphire glass wasn't the replacement. Plus current applications on military submarines a most FLIR (forward looking infrared) military use uses sapphire lenses.
My point is that sapphire shatters easily.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

None of these things are true tho, apple straight up said it allows light through easier which is why the camera and home button use it now. GG is less likely to crack with straight up pressure but much more likely to break if dropped which is how screens break. They aren't breaking from you pushing on the screen too hard.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

None of these things are true tho, apple straight up said it allows light through easier which is why the camera and home button use it now. GG is less likely to crack with straight up pressure but much more likely to break if dropped which is how screens break. They aren't breaking from you pushing on the screen too hard.

Do you have a link to that? Sapphire has a higher light refracting index then glass.

While I don't know the tech used that's like saying lead is lighter then wood. Technically that could be true depending on quantity but only in the proper context.

Drop pressure stress and failures has been proven time and time again. Not sure where you got that information, it's not even close.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
it allows light through easier which is why the camera and home button use it now. GG is less likely to crack with straight up pressure but much more likely to break if dropped

None of those statements are true.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Gorilla glass is way softer than Saphire glass. Gorilla glass will scratch but is not near as brittle as Saphire glass. Saphire glass is much harder to scratch but is very brittle and will shatter more easy that Gorilla glass.

There are limitations to saphire and it would be impossible to make the entire case out of it. It is just not going to happen.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Then no sale... I hate glass as chassis hardware. Should only be screen and camera. Sapphire is heavy and fragile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.