What if the New 12" MBA Used an A8 Chip?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iRun26.2, Mar 27, 2014.

1. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Would you still be interested (or more possibly interested)?

Mine must be powered by Intel.

2. Nee412 macrumors 6502

No I wouldn't be interested. Putting off buying a rMBP in hope of an Intel rMBA being released soon.

If an A8 powered MacBook Air comes along instead, I'll just buy a rMBP.

3. 2IS macrumors 68030

If the new Macbook is powered by any ARM chip, my 2010 MBA will be my first and last.

4. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you! That's precisely my point of view (as my MBA is also from 2010).

5. Anitramane macrumors 6502

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I don't think they will, but I'm sure if they did 90% of consumers wouldn't know the difference or care. Even I wouldn't care, as long as it could match the performance of the i5 and run common programs.

I think we're at least 3 generations away from an Arm powered laptop from Apple though.

7. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

But that's what Microsoft thought about the Surface RT: Many customers had no clue, until they couldn't run their old software. Then they returned it!

Would Apple's built in apps (Safari, Pages, etc) be good enough? No other programs that customers bought for a previous Mac would work (like if they had a previous version of MS Office for OSX). There is no way a x86 emulator could deliver reasonable speeds (at least not yet).

But, like you say, maybe three generations from now I can see it.

8. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

If it does use an A8 chip, it won't be called a Macbook Air. That much you can bank on.

9. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

An iPad Book?

There's been lots of speculation on the 'iPad Pro' name.

10. 2IS macrumors 68030

if you want the performance of an i5, its going to take a lot more than 3 generations.

11. Crimsoncrusade macrumors newbie

No:D

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

good grief. no way. you would lose bootcamp and current osx apps would no longer run.

13. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

I could not get by without BootCamp, but I assume I am not in the majority.

14. iStiggy, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

iStiggy macrumors member

I see Apple using a 7w Broadwell chip. Atom is about as fast as an A7.

I use Intel's Power Gadget on my 11" 2013 Air. My processor is normally using around 2 watts, and it is normally running at .8-.9Ghz. it is an interesting tool, since Terminal or any other app doesn't show real time Ghz.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think any move away from the intel architecture would be a huge mistake,. Just look at MS' struggle with windows RT, its the red headed step child of products

16. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

The new Quad Core Atoms are much faster than the old Atoms. You can't compare the two (A7 vs Atom) anyways due to architectural differences.

On my Dell Tablet the quad Core Atom idles around .2 watts and is just as fast as the first macbook Air's Core Duo. Now that's impressive! My 3840QM can idle around 2.4 watts so the U SKU CPU's aren't impressive to me.

17. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Here's the atom and apple cpu comparison; Atom wins.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Nope. Mainly for program compatibility, though. I don't want to go through another transition. Plus, I'm not sure the power-to-performance benefits are there yet with ARM, and they may never be.

Intel is doing a really good job with decreasing power consumption while maintaining performance. And I'm not even sure that the CPU is the component pulling most of the power on the Air: the display is probably pulling a lot. After a few more cycles, I think it will be clear that the display is the battery killer.

Finally, once a certain battery life milestone is crossed/ maintained, it becomes less important to chase battery gains. What I mean is, Apple laptops used to last about 4 hours, then 7, then 9, now 12. So it lasts a work day for most people, but not everyone. We could get to the point where it lasts more than 24 hours, which would be awesome. At that point, I don't think it makes much sense for them to keep chasing battery life.

19. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Oh yeah totally agree, screen is def the biggest killer of battery life!

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeaaah, and the Broadwell i5/i7 will be way faster than any quad core Atom.

The MacBook Air isn't about making a netbook (and trust me, I made the mistake of trying one of those; there is NO comparison). It's about think and light, and power saving, yes, but also very much about how much CPU and raw performance can also be packed into that small space. Atom just isn't there, no matter how many cores you stuff into the die.

I'm guessing the motivating to speculate about ARM/Atom-spec'd MacBook Airs is to make them cheap. But I guarantee you that people aren't gonna like a "cost-reduced" Mac. It'll be slow, and it'll be a compromise, and it will be frustrating.

21. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Keep in mInd that an IGZO screen will be a dramatic improvement. Will it make up for a higher resolution retina display all by itself? I am not sure but I bet it will be pretty close.

22. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

well idk what you mean by make up for? A "retina" and a IGZO screen are pretty both just run of the mill high resolution screens?

23. mripadmini macrumors regular

i hope they make a ipad pro becuase i want a apple touch screen laptop.