what if your late on iphone bill? (ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeputy, Oct 13, 2008.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

So, my bill due date was the 12th, but my credit card payment hasn't posted yet. It will probably be another 2 days before I can get it paid, will my service be disabled? I have the money just waiting for CC company to authorize payment for last month so I can put the bill on credit.

Anyone know?

thanks!

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You'll be fine. Next month you will probably have a late fee charge of $30 or so, and if you had to post a $500 deposit to get a plan (due to bad or lack of credit) you will probably lose that.

3. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

4. kes601 macrumors regular

Did you do the payment in advance via the ATT website and just put in the due date as the day for it to be paid? If that is the case you should not see a late fee. If you did not actually do the payment until after the due date then you will have the late fee.

5. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Dude-a $30 late fee on what is likely a bill less than $120 is BRUTAL and usury-one more reason to hate AT&T.

That should be illegal...:mad:

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

7. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Anyone know what it actually is?

Also-about the comment of loosing a $500 deposit-can they REALLY take that away?!? I didn't pay one, but that seems punitive to me.

I always understood that the deposit was there in case you didn't pay the bill-they would apply the deposit and if they terminated your contract, also use it for ETF-and refund the remaining difference.

8. dcubed20 macrumors member

I can't count how many times I've been a few days late with my ATT bill, and I never get a late fee. You'll be fine.

9. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

In the UK the deposit is returned after a certain amount of clear payments, usually six. If you miss one of these payments then you have to start again and make a further six clear/on-time/full payments before your deposit is returned.

10. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I think the way the deposit was explained to me, with AT&T, was that you had to make 12 on time payments and then it's returned. I had a small $100 deposit. I don't think they take it away though for late payments, it's just kept until you either make 12 on-time payments or default to the point of them using the deposit to help close your account. Like if you were to not pay for another 30 days and they turn off the service.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Not sure how this thread is related to iPhone...

It's $36 for re-activation of each line on your account (last I remember) plus any late fees incurred.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

At worst case, they can deduct from your deposit, but they cannot take your deposit for a late payment.

13. DavidMc macrumors member

I was late with my first bill. Next months has a 5.00 late charge.

Forgot to mention that no service was interrupted. I am a new customer and not existing with AT&T. My credit is good as well so I don't know if that could play in a role of how they handle late payments.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

there seems to be a lot of discrepancy in the late charge rate. i'm fairly certain that it's a $15 per line fee- i've been late a few times. and i'm not sure how the above poster managed to be late and not get fined, AT&T has been pretty quick to levy the fee on my account when i've been late.

15. vega07 macrumors 65816

AT&T only assesses the late fee ~2 weeks after the due date. It says so on your bill.

This is written on my bill:

Due Oct 21, 2008
    Late fees assessed after Nov 01

So OP, you have nothing to worry about.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There is no late fee for being just a few days late. I've been as much as a week late in paying and never had a late fee. They may just send you a text reminding you that your payment is late.

17. elishahong macrumors newbie

I was 2 weeks late and I got charged a $5 late fee. I just started with AT&T and I forgot to pay my bills. I wonder if this would have an effect on my credit score though. Anyone?

18. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I Doubt it-they really don't report to credit agencies-unless it is collections. It is more like a utility than a creditor.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

definitely not what my bill says. on mine it states that if i pay anytime after the due date a late fee may be applied. and it has been.

20. glassjaw420 macrumors newbie

I can't believe no ones been able to give a straight answer on this. I honestly don't think I've ever paid an AT&T bill on time. I also had a $300 dollar deposit last year which they refunded. You will only be charged a small finance charge...

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Long time ATT customer here.

I don't recall ever paying a late fee, and I've occasionally paid the bill a few days after the due date. Partly because the bills are due between the 16th and the 19th of a given month, and I kept forgetting which it was in any given month.

If you have auto-pay on your account and the bill randomly is due on a holiday or sunday, it will be a day or two late because the charges won't hit your account until after the holiday/weekend passes.

But yea, anecdotally I will say that within a week and they won't care.

22. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ever thought of looking at that thing you signed? ;)

Link

23. elishahong macrumors newbie

*Slaps forehead*
    Of course..the TOS..
    Would anyone actually read stuff like that? I usually never default on my payments. I'm generally on time for the most part.

Thanks guys for the answers!

24. decize macrumors newbie

Att Sucks

I purchases a 100 MB data package, went to tunisia for 8 days, Iphone said 84MB usage when I returned; ATT bill was $2200+ (YES YOU READ CORRECTLY) because they neglected to tell me that Tunisia was not covered and there was also the fact that as several others have reported, there seems to be a bug in Iphone that results in inaccurate data usage stats. Anyway ATT 'generously" gave me a credit of 700 (not sure how they came to that figure) and expects me to pay a bill of $1500 that is, ten times what I agreed to pay. Needless to say I will close my account as soon as I find a phone I like with a different carrier but in the meantime I am definitely not paying this full bill. Seven customer services in over two weeks, all SO understanding on the phone but nothing happens and the higher you try to go up the hierarchy the rudest they get. Not a smart business practice for a company trying to sell Iphone to business people (who travel!)

25. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

In all fairness what made you think you would be able to use your iPhone in TUNISIA without substantial fees? I would have called ATT before I took a trip like that, or I would have removed my SIM card. International always cost more, and Tunisia isn't exactly mainstream international.

I think the bill is outrageous, but you should have at least looked into it.