What if......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duck33, Dec 17, 2008.

1. duck33 macrumors regular

Lets just say for the sake of argument, Verizon gets the Iphone in the future. I'm curious as to how many current Iphone/ATT customers would switch.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If they gave insurance with that delicate piece of equipment, I'd be more likely to switch from Sprint to Verizon that to AT&T.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Why switch? And it would never happen. Ever. It would mean Apple has to make a new phone designed to work on the CDMA network.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know a lot of people that are pleased with Verizon's cell coverage (let's face it, that's what it's all about anyway). at&t's doesn't seem to be quite as good, but I honestly haven't lived in an area where it was a problem.

The one thing I do hate about Verizon is all the craptastic UI's they force on you. That alone led me away from them. I'm not saying that Apple would allow that though. In fact, that's one of my favorite things about the iPhone. No at&t logos pasted on it and no at&t UI garbage.

5. camarobh macrumors 6502

I left Verizon for AT&T for the iPhone. Never had any issues with Verizon. Don't have any issues with AT&T. Wouldn't switch back, I am happy where I am.

6. duck33 thread starter macrumors regular

I simply asked the question due to the fact there are a ton of people on this forum bitching about ATT's service. It's just like the title says, What if...

You can't say never.. You never know..

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Especially when new technologies come

8. Kobayashi macrumors newbie

Quite agree. i hate at&t logos and UI garbage too.

9. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Being a current Verizon customer, I WOULD BE THRILLED. I love Verizon's service, but I hate that they failed to form an agreement with Apple for the iPhone.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

To service Verizon like it has already been mentioned a million times would require a CDMA enable phone. Entire world is using GSM, why would Apple limit themselves or spend additional resources to build both GSM and CDMA enable phone?

11. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

People will always bitch. If the iPhone had video, push and MMS people would find something else to bitch about. If the iPhone was Verizon, people would bitch about Verizon's service.

It's human nature.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apple would make a CDMA phone in a flash. Combine the number of subscribers in Verizon + Sprint and you have the largest cellphone network in the US (where most iPhones are sold). I'm sure it wouldn't be such a dramatic technological leap to come up with a CDMA version, every other cellphone company has no probelms doing it. If it means money (and it does, lots of it), then you can guarantee Apple would be all over it.

As for which carrier I would want? The cheapest one. If Sprint came out with the iPhone tomorrow, I switch back to them in a flash (well, at least after my contract is up). I would be too afraid Verizon would cripple the phone (if Apple let them). An example, the HTC Touch Pro on Verizon is crippled compared to the Sprint and AT&T versions.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I believe selling an unlocked full price GSM iPhone is a more likely future move from Apple, than partnering with a CDMA carrier in just one country.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You mean like how Apple would never switch to Intel on Macs?

When the exclusivity runs out, expect another Motorola RAZR from the iphone, with everyone who lives on your street owning one...or two...or three

15. KUKitch macrumors regular

KUKitch

Well I would think that with Verizon going to LTE (next-gen GSM technology I believe) in the next year or two or whatever, I could see it possibly happening though I too wish that their prices were cheaper

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Hey, if not, buy an AT&T LTE iPhone and unlock it ;)

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Except for the first few years of LTE those phones are going to have to have fallbacks to the old network, just like 3G falls back to EDGE now. It's not like the carriers can flip a magic switch and <poof> their entire coverage area is LTE. So an LTE iPhone on Verizon might still need a CDMA radio for those areas where Verizon hasn't rolled out LTE.

And in answer to the question, nope. I have had Cellular One-->Cingular-->AT&T for a very long time, and I don't have the desire or need to switch for any phone. If the iPhone had gone to verizon I wouldn't have switched from AT&T for it...why mess with service that's working?

18. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

This question all depends on who is better in your area. Verizon has better coverage and service in my area but, I switched to AT&T for the iphone. If they somehow make a CDMA Iphone, yep...I'll switch back if the coverage stays consistent.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

True, but I foresee many problems with AT&T rolling out their 4G network. Given that they haven't gotten a very good 3G one in the state at all.

Verizon and Sprint may have their LTE/WiMax network up and running and with wide coverage, but AT&T may still be finishing up their 3G coverage by the time any 4G gets started.

Agreed.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't know, maybe because x86 chips aren't dead-end tech and CDMA is?

CDMA has about a year left. It's LTE on both sides after that.

21. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

if it went to sprint id go back to sprint. I have my sprint account and its $28 a month. 500 minutes and text, web, long distance call,insurance.

22. manhattanmania macrumors regular

simple: the first day i could.

i left verizon for the first iphone and switched back after around 3/4 months bc ATT was terrible.

i gave it a 2nd try w/ the iphone 3g and miraculously ATT has actually been more than livable this time around. however, it is not nearly as perfect as verizon service is in the northeast (im in nyc. CT, MA, NJ often). while i no longer NEED it, i miss having service underground (bars, clubs), in subway stations, inside buildings, ELEVATORS, blah blah. ATT just doesnt come anywhere close.

23. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Easy, same reason that every other phone manufacturer makes CDMA phones.

Verizon has 70+million customers! If I were Apple, I wouldn't hesitate making a deal with Verizon once the AT&T exclusive contract is up.

Don't forget, Apple went to Verizon first, not AT&T in the beginning. They were very willing to make a CDMA, they just couldn't come to a deal with them at the time. Apple no longer gets a cut of monthly revenue and uses the more traditional subsidy sales model. They should absolutely renew talks about an iPhone on Verizon.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Having more potential customers won't "limit" Apple.

Apple is capable of making money, while building multiple versions like other phone makers.

Apple already changed radios once, back when they went 3G (W-CDMA).

Apple wanted Verizon to begin with.

You can't own an iPhone with ATT if you live in over 1/3 of the USA, because of no ATT home towers.

About 1/2 of all iPhones are currently sold inside the USA. Adding a Verizon model would surely double American sales, making Verizon 1/3 of the WORLD total.

25. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You and I are both industry outsiders, and obviously it isn't a profitable business decision, else Apple would be doing it. This is a dead horse.