Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
iMac Pro is pretty beefy! I hope the thermal solution is quiet under workstation loads.

- up to 18 core Xeon
- up to 128GB ECC RAM
- up to 4TB SSD
- top GPU @ 11 TFLOPS (single precision)
- 4 TB3 ports
- 10Gb Ethernet

MP 7,1 will have to have the following configs available at the top end:

- dual socket to at least double this core count
- 1TB ECC RAM
- more internal storage than 4TB SSD - maybe quadruple that in NVME
- 6-10 TB3 ports
- dual 10Gb Ethernet
- high speed internal fabric
- 4 PCIe x 16 slots (if populated with GPUs, then quadruple the iMac pro's TFLOPS)

Discuss :D

Cancelled
Mar 31, 2015
I'm honestly surprised by how beefy the iMac Pro is. Those specs are insane. 18c Xeon and a Vega GPU? Holy ****.

What more could a Mac Pro offer since they say they will focus on a single GPU anyway. Also 18c Xeon and Vega GPU? Nvidia GPU?

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
If it's any indication where Apple is going with pro hardware I'm feeling pretty optimistic. The new MacPro will have to be significantly more powerful than this iMac, so that's pretty exciting!

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Yes it'll be a M O N S T E R! I love how they worked with ILM to show off this VR stuff. They seriously want back into the creative content creation business. Well done Apple!

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Its interesting, they took an imac and shoved workstation parts into it then gave it the Space Grey look. I like the idea and the specs are certainly no joke. I think it can fit into apples new product designation of where instead of the old Consumer Desktop/Laptop Pro Desktop/Laptop its Consumer Desktop/Tablet/Phone/AIO/Laptop Pro Desktop/Tablet/Phone/AIO/Laptop. A bit convoluted but it does allow for each user to find exactly what product fits their life.

Reactions: Average Pro

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
I think what the new iMac Pro tells us about the new Mac Pro is that it'll be massively over priced.
The iMac Pro starts from $4999 - but that's just for the 8 core model.
God only knows how much the 18 core version will actually be.
So even if you allowed $1000 for the price of the 5k 27" screen, that means an 8 core Mac Pro will probably come in at $3999.
Far too expensive for me if it is.
I need it to be on a par price wise with the 2012 cMP and sell for $2500.
This doesn't give me much faith that it will. :(

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I think what the new iMac Pro tells us about the new Mac Pro is that it'll be massively over priced.
So even if you allowed $1000 for the price of the 5k 27" screen, that means an 8 core Mac Pro will probably come in at $3999.
well you have maybe a year to learn some new software* and come up with some good ideas**..
then when macPro releases, you'll have the measures in place to allow the computer to purchase itself
;)

* might take longer than a year
** you either have it or you don't

-------
note- not speaking directly at you Jazzy.. just using your post as a launchpad is all.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Are you sure you need Mac Pro?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Another super expensive non upgradable computer. So, the 7,1 may be ultra expensive.

And Apple actual want the "pro" move to iMac. But not stay / wait the Mac Pro. Or they want us to buy the iMac Pro now, and then regret (e.g. due to poor cooling system, non upgradable hardware, or no Nvidia GPU option, etc). So that we may pay more to buy the 7,1 later o_O

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Another super expensive non upgradable computer. So, the 7,1 may be ultra expensive.

And Apple actual want the "pro" move to iMac. But not stay / wait the Mac Pro. Or they want us to buy the iMac Pro now, and then regret (e.g. due to poor cooling system, non upgradable hardware, or no Nvidia GPU option, etc). So that we may pay more to buy the 7,1 later o_O
Apple is savage, right?

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Really interested in learning more about the cooling system. If it's like the normal imac they have one cooler scaling from 8-18 cores. If it a pro machine they better make it quiet.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Are you sure you need Mac Pro?
No, I definitely do not 'need' it, but I'd like it all the same. :)
Right now I have a 12 core cMP with 24GB RAM and 11TB internal storage (including 1TB SSD) but it'll be 8 years old next year, so I think I'm due a new one. :)

I've had desktop Macs since 1995 and towers since the original graphite G4.
I've basically owned every tower Apple has ever made since...what can I say...I like them and their expandability.
I upgraded my Power PC 7600 with a G3 card and even my beige G3 had the CPU upgraded with a quicker one.
My current 2009 Mac Pro 4.1, has been flashed to 5.1 firmware and the original 2x 4 core 2.26 Nehalem Xeons have been upgraded to 2 x 6 Core 2.93 Westemere processors and I have installed a flashed Nvidea GTX 680 running a Dell 32" HD display.
I've also a Blu ray optical drive and a USB3 and Firewire 400 PCIe card installed too. :)

All come in very handy and I use it mostly for running Logic and making music.
I've big sample libraries and so the easily upgradable internal storage is a BIG thing for me.
As is the big 32" monitor, which was only facilitated by the graphics card being upgradable.
That's why I love Mac towers. :)

That said I'm just a very passionate 'enthusiast' - I do not make a living from my Mac Pro, but then I think there are many other cMp users out there who are the same.
It's not just 'Pros' who buy pro gear.

From 2006 when the original Mac Pro was introduced, to 2012 the entry level price point for a Mac Pro was $2499.

To this day Apple have basically kept the price of the entry level iMacs the same as what they were back in the white G5 iMac days, give or take $100 or so, so I was really hoping the Modular Mac Pro would do likewise.

The price of the current Mac Pro is simply too high.

If this new one was to be $3999, that's be a rise of $1500 from the 2012 price and $1000 more than the current Mac Pro.

Such a large price tag really would be too high for many (like me) who couldn't justify such a huge sum and would make it the preserve of professionals and very wealthy only - and that would not be good for Apple.

Like it or not 'prosumers' are important too, but I think Apple need an entry level model at $2500 point for that to happen.

A $4000 entry level Mac Pro would be almost as big a failing as the stupid trashcan design of the current one, so I really hope Apple bear this in mind - the newly announced iMac Pro would suggest that sadly this is unlikely to be the case. :(.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
let's see to upgrade the base ram to 64GB will be $1400 (you can get DDR4 64G ECC kit for about $750) and maybe $2-3K for 128G

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014

Not if they truly make the MP configurable. Not everyone needs 8+ cores and the best graphics cards money can buy. A LOT of people (like myself) use the tower for expandability (drive bays), user configurability (RAM slots), low noise (have yet to hear a quiet iMac or MBP under heavy load) and greater choice for display options. (not everyone needs 4 & 5K displays).

I didn't consider the nMP because lack of internal expandability, low yet expensive internal drive storage, and having to pay for a 2nd graphics card I'd never use. Love my 2012 cheese grater! :cool:

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Right now I have a 12 core cMP with 24GB RAM and 11TB internal storage (including 1TB SSD) but it'll be 8 years old next year, so I think I'm due a new one. :)

I've basically owned every tower Apple has ever made since...what can I say...I like them and their expandability.
I upgraded my Power PC 7600 with a G3 card and even my beige G3 had the CPU upgraded with a quicker one.
My current 2009 Mac Pro 4.1, has been flashed to 5.1 firmware and the original 2x 4 core 2.26 Nehalem Xeons have been upgraded to 2 x 6 Core 2.93 Westemere processors and I have installed a flashed Nvidea GTX 680 running a Dell 32" HD display.
I've also a Blu ray optical drive and a USB3 and Firewire 400 PCIe card installed too. :)

I've big sample libraries and so the easily upgradable internal storage is a BIG thing for me.
As is the big 32" monitor, which was only facilitated by the graphics card being upgradable.

That said I'm just a very passionate 'enthusiast' - I do not make a living from my Mac Pro, but then I think there are many other cMp users out there who are the same.

From 2006 when the original Mac Pro was introduced, to 2012 the entry level price point for a Mac Pro was $2499.

To this day Apple have basically kept the price of the entry level iMacs the same as what they were back in the white G5 iMac days, give or take $100 or so, so I was really hoping the Modular Mac Pro would do likewise.

If this new one was to be $3999, that's be a rise of $1500 from the 2012 price and $1000 more than the current Mac Pro.

Such a large price tag really would be too high for many (like me) who couldn't justify such a huge sum and would make it the preserve of professionals and very wealthy only - and that would not be good for Apple.

Like it or not 'prosumers' are important too, but I think Apple need an entry level model at $2500 point for that to happen.

A $4000 entry level Mac Pro would be almost as big a failing as the stupid trashcan design of the current one, so I really hope Apple bear this in mind - the newly announced iMac Pro would suggest that sadly this is unlikely to be the case. :(.

First off, I hear you I see what you are saying. But I think we need to realise that the Mac Pro is technically not and never has been a consumer machine. It has always been a machine for full time professionals.

I don't think Apple have ever expected consumers or even lower prosumers to buy this stuff.

The thing though has always been that if you could afford it then it was available to everyone.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
That's what they believe / want. May be they refuse the truth that the real pro move away from them, but not just Mac Pro.
srry but i most definitely believe them over your beliefs..

if what they're saying is wrong then they're straight up liars.. big time liars.. they know what the numbers are.. they don't just think/believe.. if you're wrong then hey, you're just some dude on the interwebz with an opinion..
call me a koolaid drinker or whatever but..

i see it with my own eyes.. every day.
in my circle, there are exactly 2 cMPs and no nMP.. (maybe a couple by now.. one office might have some.. haven't been there for a couple of years)...
and there are a lot of macs in this circle.. more than PC.
further, i myself went macPro --> iMac.
[doublepost=1496713128][/doublepost]

start saving today.. save until refurbs are available.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pat500000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.