What is a better combination of devices?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan289, Aug 1, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Exhibit A:

-27" iMac
    -Samsung camera (consumer, not professional)
    -iPod Shuffle
    -Samsung phone (not smartphone, just regular flip phone) with low-priced T-Mobile service
    -iPad
    -CDs for use with iTunes (burn CDs for songs to listen to in the car).

Exhibit B:

-iPhone 4 with at&t (use this as music player in car - attaches to car dock)
    -13" Macbook Air

Which of these sounds better and why?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Choice A is more to my liking.

I've got:
    27" iMac
    "Point and Shoot" digital camera
    iPod Touch (but no iPad -- wife has one of those)
    Samsung dumb phone with T-Mobile prepaid plan because I rarely use a phone
    CDs

I've also got a 13" MacBook but could see using an iPad instead if it would suffice my mobile needs (it doesn't, however). Having just a MacBook Air for a computer wouldn't suffice for me either.

3. will waters macrumors regular

Neither

You really need to specify what you will use them for, however this i think would be a very good option
    Mackbook air 11"
    Imac 21.5"
    Ipad 3G
    Samsung dumb phone

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I would want a setup that does these things the easiest with the least clutter:

1. Taking pictures
    2. Cell phone
    3. Mobile device
    4. listening to music (in the car especially)
    5. regular Mac OS X computing.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If "regular Mac OS X computing" is mail, browsing, and the iLife suite, then choice B is obvious. Certainly least clutter and meets all these needs.

(I still prefer choice "A", but you didn't initially ask which choice would be best for you!)

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

option 2 is more appealing, but i wouldn't rely on the iPhone to be my sole camera. in the right situation, it can take amazing pictures, but they have much to be desired in low light and fast moving situations.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i don't know what regular means. in my life i get the vast majority of my work done with the ipad (bluetooth keyboard), and have an mbp at home. i don't know why in the world anyone would purchase a samsung phone, when there are very affordable cameras by makers like canon out there (i love the sd1400 myself), but i guess that is a personal preference thing.

i'd have an imac for home (or mbp) because i like to have a computer that can do serious processing (mba if you don't), i'd carry the ipad on the road (i have an ipod touch myself, but no need really for the ipod if you put the music in your ipad), and i wouldn't get a phone at all. just use a bluetooth headpiece with your ipad. the ipad battery is pretty good, so you probably wouldn't even need a car charger.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Point and shoot, iPhone, and MBP.

Personally I'm not one to carry a camera around with me so I just used the 5MP on my smartphone.

In actuality, I had to sell my smartphone to help fund for my new MBP, so I'm using a Samsung feature phone right now. I have an upgrade so I'll just get another good one (iPhone 5/ GS2) down the road.

Personally I think smart phones are great but should be at the bottom of the list; of course, this depends on what you do with your phone. If you're just playing games and using it to surf the net, then it isn't "that" much more important than a feature and a good laptop.

However, if it's used as your GPS or some other primary means (important email, bank usage, etc.) then you might not be able to go without it.