Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by crazytom
Personally, I won't ever go back to a regular mouse. At first I thought a trackball would be hard to get used to, but I took to it right away. I do a lot of music/video editing and play some games to relax (like Warcraft III). Previous to my trackball, I could only work/play for 20 minutes until my wrist started hurting. Now I can go for hours with no pain. But everyone has there own preference....

Can you really play games decently with it? I would think you wouldn't have the accuracy and quickness you would need to play a real time strategy game like Warcraft. If you are able, I might be interested in getting one.... :)

Originally posted by tazo
i love my good ol' MS optical wheel mouse, list price? 20 dollars :)

$7 shipped on the internet.

- scem0
twitch.gif

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Zeke
Has anyone used the Logitech MX700 (the one with the recharger). Just curious as I'm thinking of getting it...

i use both an MX 700 and a M$ intellimouse explorer 3.0 side by side pretty regularly. the MX700 is hooked up to my mac, and the M$ mouse to my PC; that should tell you something. :)

i like them both for different reasons, but i like the MX700 over all a LOT better. the only thing the M$ explorer has over the MX700 is that its a little lighter, and better for gaming / faster movement. i love my MX700; its equally responsive as the M$ mouse, really comfortable, rechargeable, etc.. etc... I find i only charge it maybe twice a week, and use it fairly regularly. i never let it go to complete empty either, so it could probably go longer. its nice having the extra buttons for task switching, or whatever you want to assign them to.

M$ mice seem cheaply built to me. try picking one up and shaking it around and youll know what i mean. logitech mice are solid, and i would have used them sooner if they wouldve adopted the two thumb buttons at the same time or close to the time M$ did.

i say go for the MX700 if your willing to spend a little extra for a higher quality product... thats why we have macs isnt it? ;)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Although no one else seems to like it, I've liked the Apple Pro Mouse since I first got it. It only has one button and is rather expensive, but was the most comfortable in my hand. 'course it just broke the other day ... but it was cool while it worked.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by 5300cs
Although no one else seems to like it, I've liked the Apple Pro Mouse since I first got it. It only has one button and is rather expensive, but was the most comfortable in my hand. 'course it just broke the other day ... but it was cool while it worked.

While it's a really nice mouse once you use OSX with a second button and scroll wheel you will never go back.

I too really like trackballs but I haven't decided which one to get. When I was growing up I had a trackball that I used for games with a C64 and an Amiga 500. Trackballs actually work really well for shooting games but not so well for racing games. When it comes to using them everyday with the system I think they're a trade off. Sometimes a trackball is better and other times a mouse is better. Maybe I'll get another trackball someday soon, I really like them.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i'm not a big fan of the promouse - say you have to move it a long way with the button depressed, you have to pick it up but try to make sure the button's still depressed (it requires quite some articulation, let me tell you!).

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
If you have to pick the mouse up while clicked just grab the mouse on the pivot with your thumb and ring finger just like you would pick up any other mouse. It's exactly the same motion as any other mouse except there's a specific region to pick up the promouse.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
Originally posted by scem0
Can you really play games decently with it? I would think you wouldn't have the accuracy and quickness you would need to play a real time strategy game like Warcraft. If you are able, I might be interested in getting one.... :)

$7 shipped on the internet.

- scem0
twitch.gif

I find its alot easer and way more percise to play war3 with a trackball then wit a regular mouse, you have more percision, control,you can get anywhere on the screen faster, and ur hands dont get nearly as tried, with a regular mouse i am show after 1 or 2 games i could play all day and night and not get tired with a trackball, trackballs are also really nice with diablo and first person shooter games, not so good with raceing games tough(but then again u mainly useing the keypad)

Trackballs are awsome

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by maradong
what about the apple mouse?:cool:

That's the promouse that everyone is referring to.

I agree that I didn't like the promouse because of the specific place where you have to pick it up. I don't usually hold the mouse in the same position all the time. It's good to move and change posititions it prevents fatigue and repetitive stress. Also the ProMouse doesn't allow for different hand sizes because of the grip point.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
That's the promouse that everyone is referring to.

I agree that I didn't like the promouse because of the specific place where you have to pick it up. I don't usually hold the mouse in the same position all the time. It's good to move and change posititions it prevents fatigue and repetitive stress. Also the ProMouse doesn't allow for different hand sizes because of the grip point.

I don't care about Apple's new mouse if it doesn't have at least a 2nd mouse button and a clickable scroll-wheel. Better be bluetooth and rechargeable via firewire too :)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MacBandit
Kensington StudioMouse. It's totally awesome. There are some bad reviews of the touch scroll pad but I think it's from people that didn't use it for long enough. I hate scroll whells now. I can just touch at the top or bottom of the touch pad and it jumps a line. If I touch and hold it scrolls. If I want to scroll like a regular scoll wheel you just slide you finger on it. Also another part of the bad reviews are probably due to people not using them long enough like I said because the touch pad get's much much more sensitive with extended use. Initially the touch area isn't very responsive. As for the rest of the mouse it's great it works great it glides smoothly and is very very accurate.
i've had my studio mouse for a little under a year, and the left button seems to be going. the button doesn't work half the time. like, i will click it and nothing will happen on screen. but i click again and it works fine. it's really gotten on my nerves, though i don't use it often, as i am used to my laptop's trackpad.

any ideas as to what could be the problem? maybe i should get a little epoxy or glue and tip the part of the button that pushes down just a tiny tiny bit so it will press down a bit more. do you think that would void my warranty? :rolleyes:

anyways, other than that, the mouse rocks. the trackpad took all of what, maybe a day to get used to. it is much better than a real wheel in that if you want to do a LOT of scrolling you can just press down on one side of it, rather than rolling, and rolling, and rolling... hey, how about some more rolling? of course, you mentioned that, but i just had to emphasize the feature... :)

BubbleBobble

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2003
The MS Intelimouse was good at first. (When i bought it, it was only wireless optical mouse i could find) Over time i found the MS mouse became unconfortable, it lacked the freedom of movement and didn't work well for games such as shooters or WC3, and having to swap battries constantly became a pain.

A4Tech Mouse is the best, i picked it up 6 months ago for $15 to replace my MS Intellimouse.
It is wireless optical powered by 2 light AAA battries which the mouse automaticly recharges when you plug in the USB to power adaptor, it connects at the top of the mouse so u can use it at the same time like a normal non-wireless.

It has 3 buttons one of which is also the scroll wheel, nice and light compared to the MS Intellimouse, flatter form so you can just hover your hand over it.

The Pro mouse is alright, cept no scroll wheel for the web and no second button for the games, otherwise a good mouse.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i've had my studio mouse for a little under a year, and the left button seems to be going. the button doesn't work half the time. like, i will click it and nothing will happen on screen. but i click again and it works fine. it's really gotten on my nerves, though i don't use it often, as i am used to my laptop's trackpad.

any ideas as to what could be the problem? maybe i should get a little epoxy or glue and tip the part of the button that pushes down just a tiny tiny bit so it will press down a bit more. do you think that would void my warranty? :rolleyes:

anyways, other than that, the mouse rocks. the trackpad took all of what, maybe a day to get used to. it is much better than a real wheel in that if you want to do a LOT of scrolling you can just press down on one side of it, rather than rolling, and rolling, and rolling... hey, how about some more rolling? of course, you mentioned that, but i just had to emphasize the feature... :)

I would just email them and see what they will do about it. I had some finish problems with mine when I got it and I emailed them and they ended up sending me a new mouse and not even wanting the old one back. So now I have the old one with finish problems that I am using and a brand new one in the box for whatever. You could also open the mouse up and see if maybe there is a bit of dirt keeping the button from going all the way down or something.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
I have been pleased with my M$ IntelliMouse Explorer. I hate their software, but they have solid hardware.

If youre looking for wireless, I would 100% recommend the M$ Bluetooth mouse. It is very very responsive, which alot of wireless mice lack (in some cases, making it impossible to play games even).

He recommends it.

You can use the bluetooth mouse on a new laptop with the built in bluetooth, right?

Any interference with the wifi that I've read about? Tx

Fire&IceProductions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Yeah, I hadn't heard of Kensington making a Bluetooth mouse (would be nice though...). All of theirs are RF. The nice thing about their mice though is the MouseWorks software that they all run on....

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by Zeke
Has anyone used the Logitech MX700 (the one with the recharger). Just curious as I'm thinking of getting it...
I just got this mouse and it is the best mouse I've ever used. I would buy the Cordless MX Duo, which is only about $30 more ($91) total on Newegg and you get both the Cordless Elite Keyboard and the MX700 mouse.

The keyboard is awesome also because it has a volume knob and a scroll wheel right on the keyboard, and integrates with iTunes.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
i just bought the new microsoft wireless ice mouse, and it is a thing of true beauty and functionality... They actually put a pic of an imac on the box suggesting that they work well together... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.