What is a "hackentosh"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Jul 27, 2010.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Is it that laptop that "looks" like a macbook, but has a different illuminated fruit shape. I saw something a month or two after got my MBP. I think it was a pear instead of the apple.

2. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you. So it's not just the outside of the "hackbook". I thought it was just the "hackbook" that looked like the design of the macbook, but instead of the :apple:, it had a pear. I saw that online somewhere.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Its spelled "Hackintosh" and is a non-Apple PC that is hacked to be able to run Mac OS X.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I was spelling phonetically. Sorry. I am assuming pear computers are hackintoshes. It's to the point that the apple logo is replaced with a pear.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No they are not considered hackintoshes

Were you by chance watching the disney channel to see those pear computers?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It has nothing to do with a pear logo, maybe that is custom made, but nothing more. You use normal PCs from Dell or HP or Acer or ... to hack them and install Mac OS X on them.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Actually its spelled, Hackint0sh. ;)

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Now that I've checked, I've seen it both ways. The "0" is for the scene I guess.

9. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

This.

My sister was watching a show called Zoey101, I think thats the name, and when I was reading this, I looked at the Tv and there was the pear! In the show, the just use regular macbooks, with some sticker type thing covering the front.

Now that I think of it, alot of shows use covered up macs...

10. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

No. I saw it online, I actually can't remember what I was doing to get the pear thing.

11. regieferg macrumors newbie

I have one on my Dell Inspiron 1525
    but getting a real mac soon :)

Attached Files:

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't believe it was walt who glamorized pear computing. That was always Nickelodeons territory, i.e. Zoey101 but especially iCarly:

[​IMG]

always sort of seemed like an inside joke reference to the "dev team" with their pineapple.

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You know I was at a kids party over the weekend and saw this, I also noticed the one guy had a "PearPad" Which was a 3 foot ipad with a glowing pear on the back. I thought that was pretty funny.

14. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It's a PC with a Hacked Version of OSX Installed, However, It's nothing like a Mac... Starting with the world "Reliability"

15. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It's actually worse than having a PC with 7.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

actually no. my hackintosh is just as reliable as my macbook

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're wrong, my i7-930 is very reliable. Where did you get that little tidbit of info and would you care to back it up with actual facts?

I'm using top grade components, better in some cases then apple's, the design and reliability of my hackintosh is superb.

18. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I have real facts, i have a Core i7-920 System, It was pretty unreliable, just to get it working i had to install it 3 times and some minimal changes stopped it from working at all, I guess that if you are the kind of person that understands how all of that works it will work well for you, but 90% of the Mac buyers pay the premium for the Premium hardware and support

19. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I have 2 hackintoshs in my house, both of which are rock solid. If you are smart enough to buy hardware that is known to work it will be a breeze, but you cant expect to pull anything off the shelf and have it work.

20. moel macrumors 6502

Well there you go then!

So basically no laptop on the planet is capable of being a Hackb00k

21. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

A good deal of netbooks work great though. I recently picked up a Dell Vostro A90 (corporate version of the Dell Mini 9) and it works flawlessly, just had to install a microphone driver to get that working so I could video chat, everything else worked perfectly straight away. And the install was honestly easier than any linux install I've ever done. It makes for an excellent portable Mac as it is so light and small. Been using it for a while as my travel laptop, and has been as solid as any full blooded Mac I've owned.

22. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I did it for a while on my 17" HP Pavilion (Dual booted W7 and Leopard). It worked like 95%, my built-in camera and wireless didn't work; I solved the wireless problem by buying a $9.99 USB wireless N dongle. Other than that (and, of course, it didn't have the MBP's awesome trackpad) it worked as well as a Mac.

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Is a hackintosh good enough for joe user? Absolutely not, since there are are few people who would be able to support such a setup.

Can it run well ? Absolutely. Grab any gigabyte board and a decent (supported) video card and you'll be up in no time. As long as you don't modify the kernel and install it straight from the CD, then there's no reason for it to go awry.

btw I don't have a mac pro anywhere in my house ;)

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
  24. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I thought Windows XP was the worst possible version of windows? Or are you just saying it for commedic use? (or sarcasim)