What is a "hackentosh"?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Is it that laptop that "looks" like a macbook, but has a different illuminated fruit shape. I saw something a month or two after got my MBP. I think it was a pear instead of the apple.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Its spelled "Hackintosh" and is a non-Apple PC that is hacked to be able to run Mac OS X.
I was spelling phonetically. Sorry. I am assuming pear computers are hackintoshes. It's to the point that the apple logo is replaced with a pear.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I was spelling phonetically. Sorry. I am assuming pear computers are hackintoshes. It's to the point that the apple logo is replaced with a pear.
It has nothing to do with a pear logo, maybe that is custom made, but nothing more. You use normal PCs from Dell or HP or Acer or ... to hack them and install Mac OS X on them.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
No they are not considered hackintoshes

Were you by chance watching the disney channel to see those pear computers?
This.

My sister was watching a show called Zoey101, I think thats the name, and when I was reading this, I looked at the Tv and there was the pear! In the show, the just use regular macbooks, with some sticker type thing covering the front.

Now that I think of it, alot of shows use covered up macs...

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
No they are not considered hackintoshes

Were you by chance watching the disney channel to see those pear computers?
No. I saw it online, I actually can't remember what I was doing to get the pear thing.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I don't believe it was walt who glamorized pear computing. That was always Nickelodeons territory, i.e. Zoey101 but especially iCarly:

always sort of seemed like an inside joke reference to the "dev team" with their pineapple.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I don't believe it was walt who glamorized pear computing. That was always Nickelodeons territory, specifically iCarly:

always sort of seemed like an inside joke reference to the "dev team" with their pineapple.
You know I was at a kids party over the weekend and saw this, I also noticed the one guy had a "PearPad" Which was a 3 foot ipad with a glowing pear on the back. I thought that was pretty funny.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
It's a PC with a Hacked Version of OSX Installed, However, It's nothing like a Mac... Starting with the world "Reliability"

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It's a PC with a Hacked Version of OSX Installed, However, It's nothing like a Mac... Starting with the world "Reliability"
You're wrong, my i7-930 is very reliable. Where did you get that little tidbit of info and would you care to back it up with actual facts?

I'm using top grade components, better in some cases then apple's, the design and reliability of my hackintosh is superb.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
You're wrong, my i7-930 is very reliable. Where did you get that little tidbit of info and would you care to back it up with actual facts?

I'm using top grade components, better in some cases then apple's, the design and reliability of my hackintosh is superb.
I have real facts, i have a Core i7-920 System, It was pretty unreliable, just to get it working i had to install it 3 times and some minimal changes stopped it from working at all, I guess that if you are the kind of person that understands how all of that works it will work well for you, but 90% of the Mac buyers pay the premium for the Premium hardware and support

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I have 2 hackintoshs in my house, both of which are rock solid. If you are smart enough to buy hardware that is known to work it will be a breeze, but you cant expect to pull anything off the shelf and have it work.

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
I have 2 hackintoshs in my house, both of which are rock solid. If you are smart enough to buy hardware that is known to work it will be a breeze, but you cant expect to pull anything off the shelf and have it work.
Well there you go then!

So basically no laptop on the planet is capable of being a Hackb00k

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Well there you go then!

So basically no laptop on the planet is capable of being a Hackb00k
A good deal of netbooks work great though. I recently picked up a Dell Vostro A90 (corporate version of the Dell Mini 9) and it works flawlessly, just had to install a microphone driver to get that working so I could video chat, everything else worked perfectly straight away. And the install was honestly easier than any linux install I've ever done. It makes for an excellent portable Mac as it is so light and small. Been using it for a while as my travel laptop, and has been as solid as any full blooded Mac I've owned.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
A good deal of netbooks work great though. I recently picked up a Dell Vostro A90 (corporate version of the Dell Mini 9) and it works flawlessly, just had to install a microphone driver to get that working so I could video chat, everything else worked perfectly straight away. And the install was honestly easier than any linux install I've ever done. It makes for an excellent portable Mac as it is so light and small. Been using it for a while as my travel laptop, and has been as solid as any full blooded Mac I've owned.
I did it for a while on my 17" HP Pavilion (Dual booted W7 and Leopard). It worked like 95%, my built-in camera and wireless didn't work; I solved the wireless problem by buying a $9.99 USB wireless N dongle. Other than that (and, of course, it didn't have the MBP's awesome trackpad) it worked as well as a Mac.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I have real facts, i have a Core i7-920 System, It was pretty unreliable, just to get it working i had to install it 3 times and some minimal changes stopped it from working at all, I guess that if you are the kind of person that understands how all of that works it will work well for you, but 90% of the Mac buyers pay the premium for the Premium hardware and support
Is a hackintosh good enough for joe user? Absolutely not, since there are are few people who would be able to support such a setup.

Can it run well ? Absolutely. Grab any gigabyte board and a decent (supported) video card and you'll be up in no time. As long as you don't modify the kernel and install it straight from the CD, then there's no reason for it to go awry.

btw I don't have a mac pro anywhere in my house ;)

Attachments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.