Not open for further replies.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
What is google?
lol!

yes yes, I know that.. I know what a troll is.. its that cute lil doll that lil kids use to have with long hair or something? or the troll under the bridge,

but ive heard a few ppl use the word Troll like.. they are describing a type of .. 'user'? I dunno.. thats what im guessing, but I Still dont get it.
lol

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You will probably get broad definitions for this including someone who is just annoying, but to me a "troll" is someone who says things just to bait someone else into a (meaningless) argument or that just tries to get a rise and reaction by their statements.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Actually it is people who start a thread just to bring attention to themselves, which pretty much describes you. So you are a troll. Proud? Hopefully the moderators will remove this thread as off-topic. You do know that only teenage girls use terms like lol and omg.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Actually it is people who start a thread just to bring attention to themselves, which pretty much describes you. So you are a troll. Proud? Hopefully the moderators will remove this thread as off-topic. You do know that only teenage girls use terms like lol and omg.
:D. Good job! Sometimes it's difficult to give definitions, what is better than an example of trolling?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
You will probably get broad definitions for this including someone who is just annoying, but to me a "troll" is someone who says things just to bait someone else into a (meaningless) argument or that just tries to get a rise and reaction by their statements.
Agreed.

An example topic would be something like "WHY BUY IPHONE WHEN X PHONE DOES SO MUCH MORE?!?! IPHONE SUCKSSSSS"

This could be a "serious" topic, but you'll usually be able to tell within 5 posts that it isn't.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yes. A troll is someone who posts deliberately inflammatory or annoying or obsequious messages just to get a rise out of people. For example, on a Mac forum such as this one, a troll post might talk about how Macs suck and are only for losers while PCs were the only real computers. Back in the early days of DVD, I remember trolls posting that DVD was never taking off and VHS would rule forever. A troll might post all about left-wing ideologies in a right-wing forum. Or go into a religious forum and declare that their beliefs are all lies and challenge them to rebuttals.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
people without any friends who are trying to get as much social contact by the only means left to them.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
In addition to the inflammatory comments etc., think of trolling as a verb. Someone who goes from thread to thread looking to cause trouble or continuously repost the same or similar comments.

A troll will often start a thread with a post and also go around to any other threads that are in any way similar or sometimes not and paste that post as a reply in those other threads rather than limiting the discussion of it to their own thread just to try and drive home their point as much as possible. They may not even be doing so to irritate posters so much as to try and get this point across to as many people as they can, but they don't really engage in discussion, they simply continue to duplicate their already expressed opinion which can make it seem increasingly closed-minded and angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.