Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I'm running Mail 13.4 on an elderly 2012 Mac mini, on Catalina 10.15.7.

On the Mail window, on the ribbon on top right, there is a field that I can click to send messages to mailboxes. I've just noticed that the default has changed to "All Mail', and I've been clicking it for a few messages. Some of those messages are important, and I don't want to lose them. But where are they? I do not have an 'All Mail' mailbox.
So where are these messages? and how can I retrieve them? Why has this appeared?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Sounds like you are using Gmail. Click/expand the Gmail entry in the left column to see the "All Mail" folder. Can also make it a favorite by clicking on the "+" next to Favorites in same left column.

Attachments

• Mail_Left.png
    Mail_Left.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 59

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Hi, NoBoMac. Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my slow response. I've been away.
No, I'm not using Gmail. I'm running Mail 13.4.
I do have a gmail account, but I rarely use it , and I have never used it on Mail

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Look under "On My Mac" in the left bar/ribbon. If not there, expand the entry for your email provider.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Look under "On My Mac" in the left bar/ribbon. If not there, expand the entry for your email provider.
Thanks. I've opened all the mailboxes in 'on my mac' and there isn't any 'All Mail" box. I suppose that by 'my mail provider' you mean iCloud. However, there is no "All Mail box there either. This is odd, as I inadvertently saved some messages to 'All Mail', so it must be there somewhere.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for your help. Here it is (but I've closed all the folders)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 11.15.21.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 11.15.21.png
    374.2 KB · Views: 71

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thank you. I think the reason you don't see All Inboxes is because there appears to be just one email account.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks, but I don't understand what you mean. I only ever use iCloud. I don't want any other email account. Basically, I need to know how to stop my Mail.app inviting me to put messages into an 'All Mail' mailbox that I don't have.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't use my iCloud email but if I "enable" it and disable everything else this is what I see at that "Move to…" button:

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 6.00.03 PM.png

and this is what I have on the Sidebar:

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 5.59.34 PM.png

I don't see "All Mail". What folders, other than the ones you created, are on the sidebar when you log into your account at the iCloud email website?

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Well, as I said, the 'Move to' button said 'All Mail'. As I think my attachment above showed, there are no 'all Mail' folders. My main problem is that I absent-mindedly clicked the 'Move to All Mail' field, for a score of messages, and now I don't know where those messages are. I should have taken a screen shot, but I didn't know that was possible. Actually, that behaviour has ceased, and 'Move to All Mail' is not appearing. If it happens again, I'll post a screen shot. Thanks for listening, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.