What is Americans attitude to foreigners?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Moriquendi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Moriquendi macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've never been to USA (probably it will change soon) but I've heard many opinions about americans attitude to foreigners.

How americans perceive foreigners?
    Do they treat them as "someone worse"?
    Do they tolerate foreigners' culture?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're an asian in a group, and every-single-one of you has a camera around your neck, I'll probably ignore you or run the other way (have you ever had to navigate through a hoard like that before?!).

If you speak english, I'll treat you the same. Heck, if you're not great at speaking english but trying, I might even be polite.

If you're rude to me, or expect me to speak *your language here*, I'll look at you, say "sorry I don't understand you" and walk off. At least show me that you're trying to speak english and I'll give you the time of day.

Overall, I don't think we treat foreigners all that bad, but you might have a hard time if you don't speak english. Meaning, with the exception of a select few places, we won't speak anything but english.

Of course, having typed all this, I was given the same advice when I went to europe.

I think you'll find, if you don't open your mouth no one will be able to tell you're not American. If you don't seek anyone out, you'll be left undisturbed.

Also, be afraid of retail shopping. It's customary for retail employees to verbally assault every-single-customer with a friendly "Hi how are you can I help you today? we just got product XYZ you might like bla bla bla" Just shake your head, mumble "No thanks", and you'll be fine.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

On the east and west coasts, there are A LOT of foreigners and really you won't run into any problems as long as you speak english and learn basic American customs.

In the midwest, except for the large cities (Twin Cities, Chicago) there are very, very few foreigners and you will stand out.

In the South, unless you are African American, Latin, or white, you will stand out.

I've noticed a lot of the chinese students at my university are quite rude... I am sure back home they aren't considered rude, but here they do not adapt very well - they don't do certain things us Americans consider courteous. For example, they budge in lines, they walk in large groups very, very, slowly on sidewalks, not letting anyone pass through even when they see you, etc.

4. Hastings101, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

If I was a foreigner visiting the U.S. I'd stay away from the Southeastern U.S. (except for Florida). That section of the country is famous for intolerance of anyone that isn't Caucasian, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, and sometimes, male.

You're good to go in the rest of the U.S. though. Most people enjoy meeting and interacting with visiting foreigners

You will standout in the Midwest but I promise that's not a bad thing like "standing out" in the South is :p

5. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'm pretty curious about this too, the U.S is definitely a country I would like to explore a bit more.

I've been Florida a few times with my family (usual touristy stuff like Disney and Universal :D) and it's been lovely. Perhaps they are just used to tourists, but each visit has been a good experience.

Even customs weren't as bad as expected.

6. Moriquendi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers ;)

I think Asian's culture differs a lot from American/Europe.
    For europeans it will be perhaps easier to fit in.

I'm from Poland, and my written english is far more advanced than speaking english (as I'm not able to train it every day), but I don't expect big difficulties in communicating :)

East cost seems to be great, but as I'm thinking about a job in IT industry (maybe Apple...), Silicon Valley looks more promising.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Americans love to show off. Wherever you go, some people will likely try to convince you to "try this restaurant" or "go see this" or "you should go do that," sights and activities unique to their area that they're proud of and want people from out of town to see.

As far as being treated rudely, I don't think you would have a problem. If people see that you're trying to communicate with them in English, they'll most likely try to communicate with you and help you out. :)

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

You'll be fine. Of course there are isolated incidents of racism or whatever. But for the most part Americans are curious about foreigners and will be nice and attempt to befriend you. At least in my experience.

9. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

At times Americans might be a bit ignorant towards other cultures, but I've always found them to be very open and friendly.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What always struck just me was how polite nearly everybody is there. America is one of the most fantastic places on earth to visit.
    But English is must as I've found very few Americans are bilingual. The few that are it's nearly always Spanish they speak.

11. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

- Tip your waiter/waitress (well)
    - You get unlimited soda/water (with ice!) at any corporate owned restaurant
    -If you come to Los Angeles be prepared for spicy food

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Fer'nrs you say? Why thays downrite sspicious if you asks me. They talk funny and have strange views on the world oder...

...that's one stereotype. My guess is you'll run into many more normal people who will be polite and friendly. :D

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Y'er not from around these parts, are ya?!?! <click><click>

14. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Parts of the East and West coast are great if you go somewhere diverse. :)

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have said most people will be nice.

There are some however that could be rude, just walk away from them. No one likes them anyway :p

Also be careful of what areas of cities you go in. Just like any other place some places are rife with crime and gang activity so always research a place before you visit. (Chances are you'd never run into any of these places anyway but you never know).

16. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Chicago (in the midwest) supposedly has the largest Polish background population outside of Poland. And there is a lot of the United States between the two coasts. You shouldn't have any problems anywhere.

17. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

depends on neighborhood, community, demographics, environment, SES,

Like here in Los Angeles,

You might get treated differently in Irvine than Inglewood

good luck:)

18. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I'm English, when I went to America I was really amazed at how polite people were. Enjoy their hospitality be hospitable back and they will enjoy you.

19. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I was in Georga & Tennessee for work, the people are amazingly welcoming and nice, much more welcoming than in NYC/NJ. Up in New England (CT, MA etc.) they are nicer than NYC/NJ but not as welcoming as the southerners.

I Loved TN, it's an amazing state.

Edit: The only problem we had was in a club in Knoxville, some American's (don't think they were local) decided they didn't like us and called us Long haired limey's, don't think they have ever met a bunch of mancunians ha! they didn't bother us again

20. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Apart from being asked if I'm Australian (I'm British), never once did I feel like a foreigner whilst in Chicago or in Los Angeles.
    Can't wait to go back :)

21. kolax macrumors G3

I have so many bad stereotypes about the US, and it is ridiculous because I've never been. I plan to go in the next couple of years (East to West if I can afford it), make my own opinion of the place.

A friend of mine went, and the Americans thought it was hilarious that my friend is called Scott and he's from Scotland.

22. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

After living 5+ years abroad (after roughly 30 in the US), I'd classify them as "superficially friendly."

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think I can understand why you'd think that.