What is, and What does a REVISION A model mean???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DUNCVILLE, Nov 20, 2009.

1. DUNCVILLE macrumors member

I'm dying to buy a mbp but have read that there might be a new one on the way in jan, but then i see people saying that they'd never buy a revision a model - and they don't want to be guinea pigs.

what does this mean????

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

3. DUNCVILLE thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link - i've scanned that page and still don't really understand it. can someone explain it please - i'd really appreciate it.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's the first model of a new design, and usually has a lot of bugs in it.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

Revision A means it's the first model of new hardware / or new design. Sometimes they exhibit flaws cause they are the first model. I had rev a powerbook 12" g4 and it eventually died completely. it lasted a good while though and went threw hell. Had to ship it back a few times. But typically revision a's do have more problems then later revisions.

6. DUNCVILLE thread starter macrumors member

Really useful advice folks thanks so much.

Should maybe wait a few months after a new release hits the shelves?

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The current MacBook Pro models are way beyond Revision A. You can buy one and expect them to be fine. I have a Unibody MacBook that performs, even though considered a Rev A, perfectly. No problems and my battery hasn't even started to wither/die (it has 280 load cycles and 13 months and is at 4126mAh)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

True, but if they were to make substantial upgrades to the screen res, and switch to a new line of cpus and graphics card, then I'd consider it a risk more similar to a rev A product. Anything more than a speed bump and harddrive upgrade makes it more rev A than rev D.

If it's just a speed bump in January, then there should be no worries. :)

Also, I can't blame the OP for being confused by the term rev A. A revision would imply thst it has been fixed or improved somehow. Technically, what we call a rev B product is actually the first revised version of that product, and should be considered rev A.