What is Apple Actually giving 2G owners with iOS 4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MRiOS, Jun 7, 2010.

1. MRiOS macrumors regular

So I've tried to figure out just exactly what is and isn't available for those still using the iPod Touch 2G with the new iOS 4. So far I've com up with Apple only allowing the 3rd gen models to have everything. So far it seems that Apple has revoked the features of Multitasking, and Homescreen backgrounds from us. (the 2 most visibly wanted features of the upgrade) Apparently the Homescreen background utilizes the Multitasking API, in my logic, wouldn't the Folders feature also draw from that API? If this is the case there goes that feature too. So I ask what exactly is the real incentive to upgrade to iOS 4 and not just stick with 3.1.3 and jailbreak it?

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Apple's website confirms that multitasking, home screen wallpapers, and bluetooth keyboard support will all be exclusive to the 3rd generation Touch. As for anything other than those 3 features, it's anyones guess.

3. Resplendent macrumors member

Folders, ipod playlists, updated email app, search suggestions in safari. Not that it anyone gives a crap about that stuff. I'll be JBing mine the second I put 4.0 on it. I mean really, no freaking wallpapers?

4. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

Why no wallpapers for 2nd gen? It's not like it needs extra processor speed like multi-tasking would.

5. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Extra memory I'd guess. Doesn't the 2G just have 128Mb?

As for what Apple is giving 2G owners the main thing is all the extra API's in iOS4. Or, to put it another way, the ability to run all software that comes out in the next year. Everything else is pretty much a bonus.

6. jpolk macrumors newbie

Actually, what Apple says is:

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

Now whether that means no wallpaper at all on the app pages or just no "custom" wallpapers (ie: Apple trusts theirs to not use up too much rendering ability) I suppose we 2nd genners will have to see. Shame that there will be no mutlitasking, but I suppose I get that. I'm going to hold out replacing my iPod with a larger, 32 GB later this year in the hopes that we see a 4th generation iPod touch in September - I've no proof that's happening, but my wife thinks I should wait and see.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Bluetooth keyboard support?

OK, that strongly hints that:
    - a new Touch with the iPhone 4 screen is coming.
    - they will release the iWork iPad apps for the new Touch and iPhone 4.

8. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Rotation lock

It's implied the software rotation lock will carry over, since it's reputedly in the OS betas and isn't specifically excluded. To my mind that one minor feature massively improves usability.

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Actually it does because it uses OpenGL ES 2.0 to generated a shadow behind the home screen icons and text labels which is not supported on the 2G.

10. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

I have a shadow behind my icons above the custom wallpaper on the home screen of my first-generation iPhone, which uses the same chips as the first-generation and second generation iPod touch and iPhone 3G.

Don't give me that crap. :eek:

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Aww. Too bad I didn't read this topic first, I just emailed Steve Jobs.

We'll see if this is the real deal, I guess :rolleyes:

12. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

13. tucker61 macrumors regular

No folders? Where did you read that ? 1G or 2G?

14. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

From Apple.com,

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

No mention of Folders :)

15. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

They only want us to upgrade so they can give us iAds. We barely get anything in the update it looks like, that's why it's free. They make way more money by selling ads on our iPods then charging us 5 bucks each for an update and having most people refuse because we don't get anything cool.

16. kuruption macrumors member

17. MRiOS thread starter macrumors regular

How would iAds work? If the Multitasking API is blocked, how then would the iAd run without quitting your current application?

18. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

With iOS 4, the 1g and 2g Touch's pretty much remain the same, except for the folders, which isn't a big deal. If the 4th Gen Touch has the A4 chip powering it and a camera, I will be upgrading.

I can't imagine many 2nd Gen users sticking with the 2g when the 4th gen's features are announced.

19. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

No, I'm sorry!!! For the previous betas, it had no folders! For the Gold Masters, it works! I'm really sorry if I caused confusion. Other than that, here is really no difference except the dock looks different, and some of the icons changed (for 2g).

20. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

21. Danielcg macrumors newbie

DAMNIT!!! (Sry, im new here is it ok to say dat?) the biggest reason to upgrade for me was custom wallpapers. (Not having to use BossPaper to get it) also, im glad it doesnt have multitasking, it would screw up the backgrounder app and stuff like SBSettings. :apple:

22. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Though the lack of wallpaper is a bummer, Folders, and the other bits of polish will be nice.

The unified Mail inbox will be a genuine improvement. iBooks provides a method to read and organize PDFs without having to use a 3rd party app, even if one never buys a book.

I'm just curious as to whether Safari is improved beyond the search suggestions.

Bottom line, it's free, and not an forced upgrade.

If the touch 4G ends up being an iPhone 4-lite, there will be plenty of incentive to ditch the 2G anyway.

23. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

Exactly what I'm thinking! I really can't wait until the iPod touch 4 comes out.

24. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I'd say a good reason to jailbreak :p

25. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

I've already owned my 2g touch longer then any other ipod ever, I'll be upgrading no matter what.