What is Apple doing? iOS 6 and ML?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Reach9, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Reach9, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

So Apple just launched Mountain Lion, a great OS, but definitely underwhelming. It's lacking in any major features and doesn't feel like a major OS release used to feel, it felt like a 10.7.5. Major features being Notification Center, Dictation, AirPlay?

So the excuse is that Apple is focusing more on iOS (i don't buy it), so if that's the case then why is iOS 6 also equally so underwhelming? Upgraded Siri, Maps, and a few little tweaks here and there?

I don't know if i'm the only one here, but i'm really wondering what Apple is doing if both of it's major OS' provide such underwhelming upgrades?

I'm looking at Android and others and it seems like they're the ones taking risks and pushing the envelope. Now, i'm not planning on leaving but it's still frustrating.

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

They are switching to a more evolutionary development cycle for Mac OS X. This is actually how software development is taught in engineering schools.

3. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Consumers don't give a flying mugfuggins about how software development is taught, they want features and cool things to play with with each major update.

I think they may be resting on their laurels just a wee bit too much. Pulling a Blackberry, lets call it.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It seems like both operating systems have matured now, and there isn't likely to be major changes until iOS and OSX combine - Yes, there are a few 'cutting edge' things they could be trying out, like other companies are doing, but that doesn't seem to be Apple's style. Apple doesn't rush into things.

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Apple has become incredibly slow in its updates and are no longer doing any real innovation. They are playing it safe, not taking risks nor pushing the evolope. Lion, Mountain Lion and iOS 6 are seriously underwhelming updates. Android is where the innovation and fresh ideas are coming up, at this point Apple is just playing catch up for the most part.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

When they finally get rid of the filesystem altogether, I'm sure you'll be one of the ones saying they pushed it too far. Real innovation is happening at Apple with OS X. But they are taking it slower, because the changes are going to be huge. Imagine going from Snow Leopard to OS X with no filesystem, launchpad as the main screen, no more desktop, and iCloud integration.
    People would freak out. That's why they're taking it slowly and introducing these concepts at a slow pace.

7. acosmichippo macrumors regular

Jeez people. Every OSX release can't be an upgrade equivalent to Leopard, just like every iOS release can't be analogous to iOS2.

And you're forgetting one thing - the next iPhone hasn't been announced yet. There will, without a doubt, be new iOS 6 features implemented on it that they haven't mentioned. My guess is some stuff using NFC (to pair with the new passbook app), but there's no way to know what they have up their sleeve until some enterprising programmers find clues in the later iOS 6 betas.

8. kolax macrumors G3

I'd rather have a streamlined, responsive OS that increases my workflow and productivity, than a heap of eye candy.

OS X is on a yearly release cycle, so each release isn't going to be "major" in terms of UI changes.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

So, what risks are Google taking with Android? What killer features are they massively pushing the envelope with?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why do you think there are excuses for anything? Apple made it very clear last year that OSX was receiving the same once a year update cycle that iOS currently enjoys. That by its very nature screams "This wont be like major OS upgrades before".

Also, whats not to like in iOS 6? Have you used it or just looked at the incredibly short list of consumer facing upgrades?

Attention forum members:
    iOS upgrades are NOT for the consumer, those updates are minor, its the crazy amount of new features that DEVELOPERS get to roll into their apps that is the exciting part. Apple has been including 2000+ new APIs for developers with every. single. update. That is why the iOS experience is great, apple give devs the tools to make magic happen.

iOS 6 is going to be amazing once all the apps start flooding out for it.

11. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I'd really like to know the answer to this - there's various small things that Android does that iOS doesn't (and vice versa), but I haven't seen any hugely innovative features.

12. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

In all honesty, I did at first think iOS 6 was quite underwhelming, but the more short of a UI overhaul I don't think, and the truth is, as much as I agree that the iOS home screen hardly screams 'innovative' anymore, I've yet to find an OS that betters it (my judgement is still out until I use WP8, but I'll admit I do quite like metro).

And once you start getting into the whole iCloud system in ML then you start to realise just how much effort Apple have put into taking the effort out of sorting our files out (which definitely has it's own downfalls too, but for once I'm loving the fact that I can just save all my random TextEdit files where I can find them, rather than having a random clutter in some folders.)

I can actually imagine the same with Android going on from 4.0. Google seems to be pushing really hard to reign it in and tighten it up rather than just shoving random and in all honesty I look at 4.1 and think "that actually looks pretty cool", not just cause it's adding new features in left right and centre, but because it actually looks like something I'd enjoy using!

Just my 2 cents anyway. :)

13. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

This forum has been overrun by a bunch of idiots.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

$20 didn't tip you off?

There's likely nothing Apple could have overwhelmed you with. Most of us are sitting around waiting for the next big thing but since we have so much already we don't know what that thing is.

Don't buy the Android hype. Google highlighted Project Butter like it's a feature. "Hey guys look...our UI doesn't suck so much anymore"

Next they pushed the edge in a way that really blew my mind </sarcasm>. "They let me use my voice to input into a Google Search!" hallelujah!

How well is Google Wallet and NFC going. Charlie Miller just found a breach in its security.

How's Google TV doing?

Apple doesn't have be first but when they deliver NFC and media options it sticks. Google hasn't found the magic to make their forays stick.

Yeah I know...it's boring to have things work right the first time and get robbed of that "well wait until chocolate cream pie ..then this stuff will work"

15. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

But at least they're pricing the OS systems accordingly. They know they couldn't charge $80-100 for ML, so it's $20 for some of the new features it supports. I think it's fair.

16. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Everyone keeps saying that iOS has matured and that there is not much more for them to do with it. How come us people on this site always come up with all these great ideas that would work well in ios and a lot of people like the (widgets, more features in the notification center, more useful features in Siri, a better YouTube app that actually works well, away to tell Siri to turn on your Bluetooth or 3G more overall customization) I am sure you guys have even more ideas...so why can't apple do some of the stuff the way people want them to.

17. acosmichippo macrumors regular

Not only that, you can fully upgrade any OSX version (back to Leopard, I think) for $20. That means one can get the Snow Leopard, Lion, AND Mountain Lion updates for only $20 total.

----------

Because maybe "all these great ideas" by armchair engineers are not necessarily great ideas for ALL apple's target customers.

18. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

What more do you want them to do with OS X?

• They have added support for iCloud across the full range of their devices.
    • They've added support for a wireless display system that does what Intel has been claiming they would do for the better part of a decade.
    • They've added deep ties to social media.
    • They've added a notification system that is easily accessible while staying out of the way.
    • They've added features to dozens of apps, including their browser, messaging, and iLife.
    • They've improved memory usage.

On iOS 6:

• They've added turn by turn navigation.
    • They've updated Siri to be more useful.
    • They've brought Siri to the iPad.
    • They've added Facebook integration.
    • They've created Passbook to help consolidate information and memberships
    • They've added quick messaging replys to the incoming call screen..
    • They've redesigned a number of the built-in apps.

Yearly updates mean that most years will see incremental improvements. Refinements on the existing system.

What's broken that you think they need to change?

19. Rennir macrumors 6502

Or don't buy any hype at all? :D There was a lot of hype around Mountain Lion too, if I'm not mistaken.

As for project butter, call it whatever you want--it's just semantics. Fact of the matter is you and every other iOS user in the world touted the buttery smoothness of iOS as a major advantage over Android. It's only natural that they inform people said advantage no longer exists. They're a company, what do you expect them to do? Take the bad product imagery lying down? They're a for-profit company the same way Apple is.

"They let me use my voice to (insert action done on smartphone traditionally by hand here)". See how easy it is to belittle things? :eek:

I don't see where your discussion of Google Wallet and NFC security is going, but I'm just going to point at the multiple security flaws iOS has too :cool:

Agreed on the last part though. Apple really has a magic touch to make things stick. They're not without their own failures of course, but I think they succeed the majority of the time.

20. MrBudgie macrumors newbie

I know it sucks, right? #I am definitely not paying a penny for this iOS 6 upgrade.

</sarcasm>

21. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Now that OS X is on a yearly release schedule, I doubt we will see tons of new features in each release.
    iOS seems kind of stale to me, however. I was looking forward to iOS 6, to see if it could convince me to leave Android. But many features that are coming to iOS 6 have been in Android for quite a while, so it's nothing special to me. Most people seem to be happy with iOS 6, so I guess it's just not for me.

22. sigamy macrumors 65816

I love how Google and Microsoft come in and win the 'leading innovation' awards years after Apple showed them what a phone should be with the iPhone.

Do any of you even remember 5 years ago? Microsoft was cramming desktop OS metaphors into phones and Google's first prototype was a Blackberry clone...

Seems easy to me to be 3 years late to the party, then copy iOS and add some widgets or live tiles.

23. newagemac macrumors 68020

Please tell me you are joking. Android's model seems to be old and outdated at this point. The innovation these days is in integrated mobile with the full OS experience. Apple and Microsoft seems to be the only ones innovating in this area.

OS X now has notification center, Airplay support, Notes, Reminders, iCloud, etc that all work fully integrated with the same features you find on iOS. Microsoft is taking a somewhat different approach but still working on arriving at the same fully integrated solution.

Where is Android? It's still in the old, outdated model that existed for decades-old feature phones where the phone OS had no clue about anything else other than itself. Not very smart at all. All Android has to work with is Chrome OS which is hopelessly behind OS X and Windows and has been rejected by consumers and especially professionals and power users. Android can't integrate with Windows or OS X at such a nice system level because they don't make the OS.

After using Mountain Lion along with my iPhone and iPad, my S3 almost feels like a toy now. It doesn't feel very smart or innovative. It feels non-integrated and backwards.

I can make a Keynote presentation on my iPhone or iPad and it shows up immediately on my Mac where I can make more edits and vice versa. Notifications sync across. iMessages sync across with dedicated apps that look and work relatively consistent across desktop, phone, and tablet. Same for Notes and Reminders. I enter my iCloud account and everything gets set up automatically on not just my phone, but my computer and laptop as well.

I'm not saying everything is perfect now, but Apple and Microsoft seem to be moving forward with this kind of integration innovation while Google/Android seems to be standing still with subpar web apps that don't integrate with any OS on a system level.

Mac+iOS users are enjoying the integration in Mountain Lion and it will be even better with iOS 6. I'm sure Microsoft users will be enjoying the same with their Surfaces and etc. with the upcoming Windows 8 and it's integration.

Meanwhile, my Android device feels like a fish out of water on both Mountain Lion and the Windows 8 preview. Android will need to start innovating or it will get left behind.

24. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

An exciting OS is like an exciting new axe handle.
    Sure it's important part of the tool but it's not the part that really gets work done for me.

The yearly release schedule is good for the axe head makers and that is all that really matters.

25. igiboi macrumors member

Not everything Apple does sticks nor it works. Thats marketing.
    How many times did I come to a genius bar or Apple because my iPhone wasn't working as it should be.. wait.iPhones which is the iPhone4 and iPhone 4s that I owned. I got a mac this june 2012 and first thing it did was freeze. They didn't have to blame chrome as I thought it just works kind of thing. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and their products but I don't think they can use "It just works" anymore cos everything they release has 1 annoying thing that bothers me. Like the ipad3 we got which "just works" like a toaster and heats up your hand and makes you sterile.