Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Do you realize how cool, handy and environment friendly it would be?

Solar cells on gadgets are not environment friendly, it takes a few years of use to write off the pollution made while producing the cells and recycling them as hazardous waste.

Current solar-panels on buildings need 4-5 years to become environmentally friendly, most gadgets don't last that long but these could be using other technologies.

bobbyv33

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
My guess is that it is a key for new type of keyboard. Perhaps something along the lines of what is in the phone where the keys change depending on the application?

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star
Solar cells on gadgets are not environment friendly, it takes a few years of use to write off the pollution made while producing the cells and recycling them as hazardous waste.

Current solar-panels on buildings need 4-5 years to become environmentally friendly, most gadgets don't last that long but these could be using other technology.

OK.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Yup, It's the new shuffle, and it looks pretty good i doubt it's a screen for the future Apple TV Remote

z4n3

Jun 2, 2008
I'm quite a Apple fanboy, and yesterday I was searching the web for news about a upcomming TomTom car-kit for the iPhone 4, when i suddently stumpled over this video. I know the title on the system menu says "iPod" but who knows?

It looks like apple are creating a car or sound system that's going to be using a new UI, which might just fit this little screen perfectly.

I'm really hoping that they'll create a car-kit, would be so awesome.

/ChristianLom

It is from BMW, and it has been made public :p

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2010-07-09 a las 2.00.35 PM.png
    Captura de pantalla 2010-07-09 a las 2.00.35 PM.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 171

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
If it's really a touch screen then it's got to be for the Shuffle... it'll show a little artwork and you can use the multi-tap controls on it instead of the headphones.

It'll be completely retarded, but then, so is the current Shuffle, so why doubt it?

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Apple should create touch UIs for millions of products

There are thousands of places where Apple should be hired to create touch screens ... ATMs, gas pumps, fridges, alarm clocks, cars .. The list is endless. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have to use some crappy interface and think OMG Apple could do this so well!

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Why think it's a screen? It's flexy. (looks bent, there is Thin Film photovoltaic cells that bend) My vote is solar panel for iDevices.
The iPhone display does not have those details.. it's very smooth. So I don't think it's a display.
Solar can go right under glass backs of iPhones and iPod Touch's.
iphone_lcd.jpg

On the other hand:

single-solar-cell.png

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
View finder for the front facing camera on the iPod touch. So when you turn it around to take a picture you can see what you are taking a picture of.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
It's either one of two things:

iPod nano

Or

Somekind of integration into new MacBook pros.

cruxflux

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
There is the date 2009 stamped on the part. Wouldn't it be a little outdated to use in a new product?

gombach

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Fingerprint Scanner

It reads your fingerprint and charges your credit card each time you touch it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Solar Panel?

For some odd reason it looks more like a solar panel for charging...

Why think it's a screen? It's flexy. My vote is solar panel for iDevices.

Oooops, should have read the thread first. Must... have... coffee...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Or

What is the touch sensor for the Magic Mouse? The part does seem to be the same size as the multitouch surface of the mouse... maybe...

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Hold on, don't rule out the iWatch idea out too much. Not a watch, but a wireless remote that you wear on your wrist to control your iPhone or iPod touch when in your pocket?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.