What is Apple's excuse?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EEMAN13, Sep 24, 2014.

1. EEMAN13, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

EEMAN13 macrumors member

So I've been trying to purchase a verizon iphone 6 (not the plus) which has brought many to many stores over the past few days.

1. I started off at Bestbuy and my local one had the model (Verizon, 128gb, color doesn't matter) I wanted in stock, but they wanted $50 more than everywhere else ($900) for a "replacement device". No thanks.

2. I then headed over to Verizon after giving them a call to see if they had the size I wanted in stock. After confirmation they had it in stock, I visited my local verizon store and waited for 40 minutes. I wanted to purchase the phone off contract which they are willing to do, but they will not let me leave the store unless I activate it for which they charge a $35 fee and credit check. I'm on AT&T and do not want to activate it but would like to have the option to switch to verizon later, so I leave without the phone.

3. I contacted apple support over the online chat to ask if they sold the verizon phone off contract to which they replied: not online but they will sell it off contract in store. Great. So I've been following the stock of the phone model I want and it always shows as available. I call the store to see if it's in stock which they confirmed and I asked how quickly the line was moving since I wanted to pick it up on my lunch break. Apple informed me they were moving people pretty quickly so I drove over about 30-45 minutes later and there was a long line so I went back to work. Darn.

4. Just before I left work that evening, I checked the store stock online and it was available. I stopped by and there was a line of about 15 people and I really didn't feel like waiting so I left.

5. On my way home, I decided to call Bestbuy to see if they would price match Apple and if they had the phone I wanted in stock. They did! I show up and they agree to price match without any hassle so I swipe my card for the phone. Now, they want me to activate the phone and I tell the employee that I do not want to activate it for verizon since I'm not their customer. Long story short, I ended up getting the payment voided since they would not agree to let me leave without activating it. Screw them.

6. The next day, just before I left work for the evening I check the Apple website and called the "local" (about 45min away from home, but not too terribly out of the way if I stop "on the way" home from work) Apple store again to verify stock. In stock. Great! I show up and ask the employee at the front if there are any iphone 6 in stock to which the employee tells me know. Naturally stock changes so it wasn't that big of a deal and I go home empty handed.

7. Today, just before leaving work I again check the stock online and call to verify to which I'm told it is in stock. I left work a little later than expected and did not make it until about 2 hours later which was still 2 hours before the store's closing time. I ask the employee out front who is watching the "line" of 1 person if there are any iphones any stock. No. Darn, I guess they could sell out since it's been 2 hours so I leave empty handed again. On my way home I decide to call Apple just in case. I called the local number and the lady who answered told me it was in stock. Wtf? I told her that an employee at the store told me they were all out of stock. She then says I can check the website to determine if they are in stock and I realize where the disconnect is....the person on the phone isn't actually at the store despite the number I was calling and the online inventory must not be updating quickly. So she puts me on hold to call the Apple store and check for me. When she gets back with me she tells that it IS in stock and guaranteed it would be there. Wtfx2? I'm about 35 minutes from the store at this time and obviously I'm not going to double back.

So I can understand the Verizon retail store not selling me the phone since they make their money on activations and I can understand Bestbuy not selling me the phone since they too likely get a decent cut from Verizon. But what I don't get is why Apple is lying to me. THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF THE DEVICE ITSELF! What is Apple's excuse?

I think it would be a good idea to mention the store too:
    Apple Store, Lakeside Shopping Center
    Address: 3301 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA 70002
    Phone: (504) 830-1400

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Post-launch chaos. Rapidly changing stock. Tired employees who've been dealing with lines of customers non-stop for almost a week.

3. EEMAN13 thread starter macrumors member

I don't believe that, especially after today's incident.

4. ToroidalZeus, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Place an order on Apple.com for in-store pickup?

If time is valuable to you (which it isn't to me) then you shouldn't be driving around all willy-nilly.

5. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

What is Apple's excuse?

Apple employees are morons.

They just want to get through the day.

Customer support verizon employees are worse. They don't give a ****.

6. EEMAN13 thread starter macrumors member

In my post I state that I cannot order a verizon phone off contract from the Apple online store and must purchase it in a retail store per Apple support.

I'm hardly driving around willy-nilly. Did you not read the part about me stopping on the way home (slightly out of the way) from work?

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

So what could anyone tell you that you would believe? That Apple employees are incompetent, or that they're targeting you for harassment? Or was this ultimately just to vent or perhaps garner some sympathy?

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I had to spend 6 hours (10am to 4pm) at the Apple Store for refund. If you want to pickup a phone, Go to the Apple Store when they open and spend the entire day. Trying to get an iPhone after work is crazy.

9. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I saw this super long post and was excited to see that George RR Martin had released the next SOIAF novel.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

11. imprtgrlracr macrumors newbie

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with issues at Lakeside Apple. I bought a 6 on launch day in the store, I'd like to exchange it for a 6+, so my only option is going back to the store and I only have 14 days, so I call this morning to see if they have any, and the lady informs me they received a shipment, with 6+'s for all carriers, but it's 1st come, 1st serve, it just so happens that I only work 5 min from there, however, the box for the phone is at home, which is 30 min away. I leave work, race home, get the box, race to the store, all for the employee to tell me that they didn't receive any shipments for 6+'s today, but they should receive some soon and before the start of the weekend.....wtf? So now I'm carrying the box in my car and have to call them every morning and hope to be able to get one before my 2 week return policy is up....I can understand the high demand, but at least be on the same page and have all employees telling customers the correct information.

12. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

My advice: wait in the next line instead of deciding it's too long.

13. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

This. Find 2 hours of your day and wait the line. It may not take that long and it may, but you can't just keep turning around.

14. EEMAN13 thread starter macrumors member

I've been willing and ready to wait in line the past two days now...

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What people don't understand here (or don't care to understand) is that by the time the line gets to you, the product is likely to be sold out to online orders. This is a pretty unfair system, if you ask me, but what can you do? Yeah, yeah, life isn't fair, etc. Still sucks a guy can sit in line and all a person has to do is log online and buy the phone the other guy has already been waiting for.

I am in a similar situation s you, though I am trying to do Next with AT&T and a glitch in their system keeps me from being able to do so without going to a core store (which doesn't have them in stock). My options are:

1. Stand in line and get bent over repeatedly
    2. Find one in a core store (not happening)
    3. Wait for the glitch to be fixed
    4. Order online from AT&T (with the delays I may as well wait a few months and get it tax free like I planned to do)

For what it's worth I have seen stock show up in the online store, disappear, and show up again minutes later. This was especially true the first 2-3 days. I suspect it was a lot of people returning phones, some of which hoped to scalp them and were unsuccessful due to craigslist being so overloaded; just about the only people "buying" there are scammers.

Anyway, best of luck. My only advice is keep at it, or don't. I have mostly given up. We move in two days so I am taking a break from this nonsense and focusing on getting moved and settled in. I will get the phone when I get it. If that doesn't happen for multiple months this will just have to be the first phone I skip.

16. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

Verizon iPhone on AT&T?

Isn't having a verizon iPhone on AT&T gonna cause you NOT to be able to access at&t's LTE network? Even if unlocked I dont think you can do this without losing LTE access on att network. You'll be put on 4g network. The Verizon iPhone version has different bands than the att version. Can someone back me up on this? :confused:

17. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

That we don't live in a perfect, or even fair world?

Not everyone gets their new toy on the first week of launch.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I don't know this to be correct. While you can call Apple telesales and order a product through them for store pickup the same day (provided the store has the product in stock), online product sales for store pickup are generally shipped to the store. That's always been my experience for the past 10 years I've been buying from the Apple Store.

19. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I might be missing this somewhere in this post, if you can point out where you say "in my opinion" that would be great because I have never had an issue with either in the 15 years I have been with Verizon and the 8 years I have been dealing with Apple. :)

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why go through all this hassle instead of waiting at your Baton Rouge Store? Btw, Metairie's Lakeside Apple Store is the only one in the region and so there stick fluctuates quite a lot depending on traffic, and UPS/Fedex delivery schedules.

I've never had a bad thing happen in that store. You are simply unlucky.

21. seth556 macrumors member

I can understand about point 7 but I really don't see what's going on with 1-6. That's just how it is, no excuses needed.

On number 7 it could be inventory is off or they got stock in after you left.

22. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Best Buy price matches, just tell them Verizon has it priced at $xxx. It's always worked for me as for some reason they always have Verizon full retail prices $100 more than the actual vzw stores.

23. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Not entirely true. You left twice choosing not to wait. Your 3rd and 4th numbered paragraph.

24. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Why dont you look into a tmo contract free phone. It is unlocked also. My plus is unlocked. Btw, only at apple store or apple.com.

25. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I think apple is angry with you because you have been sinning. Time to pray.