What is behavioral genetics research?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bubble99, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

Is it some thing new? What does behavioral genetics research say? What really is it? Is it try to explain why people do some things but not other things? Where the person likes and dislikes come from?

Do some studies support it and other studies do not base on what the person is doing?

Does behavioral genetics research say why some people are happy, sad, mad or depressed.

Is it saying person interests and personality is base on behavioral genetics?

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

These are some very open ended questions.

The concept of behavioral genetics really isn't new. People have been selectively breeding animals for behavioral traits for centuries. The scientific study of it is relatively new, stemming from eugenics.

I'd suggest starting your research here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_genetics

Remember that not only do genetics play a role in behavior, but also very importantly environment. There is also epigenetics, which you should read up on too- basically environment and how DNA is packaged can influence gene expression.

A lot of how one feels acutely - i.e. Happy or sad is usually most related to environment. You are happy because you won the lottery. You are sad because your dog died. But genetics do come into play in how people experience emotion, especially when talking about mental health disorders- schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety, depression, addiction, etc. But usually genetics are only part of the puzzle, environment also plays a role in whether these disorders arise.

Genetics and psychology aren't really something that can be summed up in a forum post. People get degrees in these areas of study.

3. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do some people oppose behavioral genetics research? Or is it mostly eugenics they oppose?

Where traits like criminals and social deviant mostly environment or genetics.

WAnd genetically-controlled bad behaviors are a HUGE threat?

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Answer to first question: some don't want to know, some prefer to think that every choice we make is really an intellectual, good or bad choice, which I dispute.

Find this thread in PRSI: Do you believe in choice?

5. jeyf macrumors 6502a

adds additional meaning to Lady Gaga's Born This Way.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I'm not saying we have zero choice, but claim the choices we do have are much less than people think they have.