What is Classic Mode?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ICEBreaker, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear forum members,

I am a newbie and I've read somewhere that Tiger was the last OS to support Classic Mode and that Leopard will do away with this.

I've Googlepediaed for this term but none of the items that turned up actually explained it properly.

Can anyone please inform me of what Classic Mode is?

I would like to be able to find and use old Mac programs from the 80s and 90s. Is Classic Mode related to this?

Thanks a lot.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Classic Mode deals with Apple's pre-OS X environment and would allow users to run applications designed to run OS 8, OS 9 which may not be compatible with OS X.

4. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies guys, especially Shard. So may I have confirmation that Tiger can run OS 9 programs but Leopard cannot? Or is Classic Mode related to the hardware. If I buy Tiger on the new aluminium iMacs, will I still get Classic Mode?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's in relation to hardware and software.

Intel Macs can't run Classic Mode and a PowerPC one with Leopard can't as well.

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

No, Classic mode has never been on Intel only PowerPC Macs.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There are alternatives for getting Classic to run on intel such as sheepshaver

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Intel Macs are incompatible with classic. You would need to get an old PPC based Mac to run the classic environment.

Edit : Damn it beaten by 3 people :). I type too slowly.

9. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

I see guys! Thank you all for your kind help. I shall get Sheepsaver then. Thanks!!

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I wasn't actually aware of Sheepshaver myself, I might have to give it a try when I get my new Mac.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hello, just got OS9 working under leopard. is anyone aware of how to read/write to the disk image that has been created??

apparently it is supposed to mount on the desktop, mine isnt doing that. is the disk image in a certain format? maybe i could add that and mount in disk utility and modify it there..

anyways,

thanks

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

"Classic Mode" allows programs written for MacOS 8 and MacOS 9 to run on a machine with MacOS X installed. To use "Classic Mode", you need a computer with a PowerPC processor, not an Intel processor, and an operating system up to MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger), not Leopard.

You could of course look on eBay for an old Macintosh that actually runs MacOS 9 directly; they should go rather cheap by now.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are you aware of system 7 being able to run over sheep saver???