What is going on? I'm in iPad pro love

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, May 3, 2016.

1. thadoggfather, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

If not for Best Buy hooking it up, no way this would have been possible.

Lots of numbers to throw at you for my breakdown but,

$449 for 32GB space grey open box "recertified refurbished" which just means no box and probably visually inspected and powered on,

$154.99 for open box with some reward zone bucks ($20) on top to lessen the SKB blow
    $85.99 for pencil open box and $87 after tax ($5 RZ bucks too)

Sold my Air2 for $380, which I got $400 at Target back in September,

$100 almost completely even (after tax and selling my air2) to go to Pro 12.9, and then the accessories on top of that and slightly discounted were well worth it it seems,

Just got the SKB today but really digging it! Ah!!!!
    And doodling with the pencil and the accuracy is INSANE, this one takes the cake for sure

By the way - the $449 deal is dead and was short lived, but it happened :D

Tl;dr always wanted to dabble, became financially justifiable, made it happen, and not looking back

2. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    That's a sweet deal, the Universe likes someone. ;)

Kal.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

that's what I call "working the system" my friend. :)

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Awesome deals all the way around. You sound like me. I absolutely hate paying retail for products if I don't have to. There is a plethora of people who frequent these forums who pay full retail for all of their Apple Products, and almost look down to those of us who like to save money.

Screw that, the bigger the discount/deal the better.

Don't care if it's used or open box. If it's fully functional and looks good, it's a better buy, period.

5. joelank macrumors member

6. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Which model did you have? And where did you sell it at?

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

64 wifi, Craigslist
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2016 ---
    If it were an open box deal I could find in store, I even prefer it. I like to inspect the goods before committing to buying if at all possible

8. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

The smart keyboard is so great. Love the butterfly mechanism like rMB but with more key travel and a fun feeling material over it, to make it food friendly (ish)

Not bad at all for a Tablet case/kB combo, $170 is a lot though if you were going retail for it

And then holding the 12.9 without anything attached (except my TPU backshell I got off amazon by ESR) is a whole different experience.

It almost does feel like 2-in-1.

OS X/iOS dual boot option with SKB attached, and iOS for SKB-less, would be a drop mic

I still haven't used my rMB much at all since getting this device.

Might still be the honey moon phase, but at the very least, this is a cool friggin iToy

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think it's possible to make a dual boot device without making it significantly thicker and heavier. You have to remember that OS X only runs on Intel CPU and iOS runs on the Apple chip. So at a minimum, such a device would need two CPUs, and each CPU might need their own GPU. You would get a device that's too heavy and bulky to be a good tablet, and too underpowered to be a good laptop.

10. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Ah nah, I would more be thinking OS X (soon to be MacOS) re-coded for ARM/A-series SoC's, especially since A9x keeps up with like an i5 from 2013 iirc in compute benchmarks,

Surely Apple has some prototypes of an rMB with A-series SoC, or something of the likes. Even if not a tablet/touch screen/Mac hybrid

Same way OS X was re-written for Intel from PowerPC, similar to Windows offered in 32 and 64 bit flavors still

I'm not engineer though, just an armchair consumer engineer :p

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That thought has occurred to me. But I'm thinking the effort it takes to port OS X to ARM could be better used to make iOS get feature parity with OS X. I mean, if you've ever jailbroken an iOS device, you can see that iOS is just OS X on ARM, with touch UI instead of mouse.

I mean, even Microsoft hasn't gone the dual-boot route. I don't think that's needed at this point. We just need one OS to run on both desktops and tablets. I think what Apple will do is eventually come up with a desktop flavor of iOS.

And I'm not a software engineer, either, so my theories are as good as yours. ;)

12. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

True, good points.

I do jailbreak iOS devices, since day 1 of owning first gen iPhone -- I'm what some may call a die hard (short of actually developing tweaks myself or contributing to the exploit/research security community) on the jailbreak consumption end.

My iPad Pro came with iOS 9.2.1, only 9.1 is jail breakable on 12.9.

I patiently wait, but with skb, bigger size and all, still really enjoying the experience.

I would just love dark menus like I have on my iOS 9.0.2 jail broken 6s plus (and some other nice and fun things, but I jailbreak for the experience, I don't pirate at all)

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I used to jailbreak, too, but last time I did, on my iPad Air, I can't remember if it was on iOS 7 or 8, and I ended up installing like only two or three tweaks. So I've just been updating my devices to latest software versions without bothering to wait and see if the older versions get jailbroken. If a jailbreak ever gets released for a version of iOS my devices happen to be on, I might jailbreak it. But keeping my devices on earlier iOS versions hoping for a jailbreak just doesn't seem worth the bother anymore.

14. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Phone it's a necessity for me, tablet nice but not required

Loving the shortcuts

Hold command to pull up prompts but

Command shift and H to simulate home button press

Command and [ for back a page, command and ] for forward,

Control shift and tab to go between tabs

Command and t to open new tab of course
    And command and w to close tab of course

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thought this got changed to command + H. No shift required.

16. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Oh I'll have to try when home again thanks for heads up

17. TrueBlou, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Finally, I might not be the only one who remembers this, circa 2007.....

iPhone uses OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system. Which means you have access to the best-ever software on a handheld device, including rich HTML email, full-featured web browsing, and favorite applications including Address Book and Calendar. iPhone is also fully multi-tasking, so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background. This software completely redefines what you can do with a mobile phone.

When the iPhone was conceptualised there was an internal battle as Steve pitted Forstall and Fadell against each other to create the operating system for the iPhone.

Forstalls OS X team won out over Fadells iPod team by reimagining the tried and tested operating system they had for a touch interface.

The argument over an iPad like device running full OS X will probably burn forever. But being firmly in the , hell no, OS X is horrible on a touch screen camp I'm dead against it. Honestly, try it, anyway you can. ModBook, Hackintosh or even just Remote Desktop, it's naaaaasssty.

I always say, and I'm usually shouted at for it but, meh, don't care. When you ask for OS X on an iOS device because iOS can't run "proper applications" remember this one thing. It already runs OS X, it's a real, proper operating system with good hardware behind it, it's just designed properly for a mobile, touch based interface.

The problem isn't iOS, it isn't the hardware. No the problem is us, the software developers (well, not me, I'm crap :D) There's literally nothing, aside from bureaucracy, a fear of investing money in something untried, short sightedness or the preconceptions that people with a tablet device only want to do basic things preventing more feature rich applications.

Feature parity with the desktop equivalent applications for say, Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Office and, well, insert whatever app you want. Is entirely possible, the only thing preventing it is the people who hold the power over the developers.

Hmmm, kind of went off on one there. Mental note, 320mg of morphine is too much :D

18. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Not working for me on 9.2.1,

Maybe it's a 9.3 onward change?

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Could be. It got changed somewhere along the way, I don't know exactly where.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yup, latest update (9.3.1) disposed of the Shift key for returning to the home screen.

If you're looking for shortcuts, if you didn't know already, all of the Mac shortcuts for selecting and manipulating text also work on the iPad. Saves a lot of time I think.

21. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I think 29w and usbc to a adapter and long lightning cable works!

Got from light browsing and roughly blank 1 percent every 4 min

Does that sound faster than 12w

22. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Not sure about the 12w, I'd have to dig mine out. But with the 29w and the Apple USB-C to lighting cable my 12.9" Pro charges at 1% per minute when it's not getting used.

23. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

whats that 1/2 price - gees the sales must be really bad for some thing that new..

24. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Which pro application would you want to use without a file system and mouse/trackpad. video or audio editor? 3d animation/fx software. high end office projects?

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

That is a great deal OP, may your iPad Pro love continue. I'd love a 12.9 pro and accessories for school. No way can I spend what Apple are asking though even with my $415 in Apple gift cards. I'll have to take a peek at refurbished and check Best Buy.