What is it With the Recent Influx of N00bs?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ihuman:D, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, is it me or does anyone else notice the recent influx of n00bs who think that PowerPC Macs can't do anything and can be only used as a paperweight - if that?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I think you're right but it is understandable to a certain degree. Most people I know are Windows users that have started the move toward Apple thanks to iOS devices. The only thing is that they have been using Intel machines most of their computing lives and they are only now making the switch over to Apple(which as you know is now Intel only as far as their computers go). So telling someone that is a new Mac user that older macs exist that are non-intel and no longer supported view them through the Windows lens of Windows-based computers that are the same age that they(and most others) consider to be almost useless.

It just comes down to correcting that inaccurate association.

3. ihuman:D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, that's fine but what I mean is people who say that PowerPC Macs, even a quad G5, are worthless and that you can't do anything with them and that they are only good for the bin or as a paperweight

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you ever come across that person let me know so I can buy it real cheap.

;)

5. ihuman:D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, I wish.

I was using worthless as another way of saying "not powerful at all, can't handle anything, my grandma's PC could probably perform better than it".

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, but I find it hilarious because my father went from a 1-year-old Windows 7 laptop to an 8-year-old PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, and he tells me all the time how he loves it so much more than his previous laptop.

I find that anyone who calls PowerPC Macs "paperweights" to be extremely clueless. Just because they can't handle all of today's latest tasks doesn't make them completely useless as far as computers go.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

Yeah, well they're either stupid or ignorant. A Quad core G5 is still just as powerful as my former 2009 iMac and customizable at that. If I had the money, I would have bought a PM last week. Someone in my area was selling their Quad with maxed RAM, a 23" CD, and the keyboard and mouse for...$225. I hate being broke.

8. ihuman:D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everything seems so dear over here compared to places in America, a Quad here could go from €200-€400.

9. RedCroissant Suspended

and that would be just the going rate for the machine, right? The guy selling his here was even trying to help me get it because I contacted him to make sure that he meant to price it as low as he did.

10. ihuman:D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe a keyboard and mouse if you're lucky and maybe a cheapo monitor if your luckier.

11. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

saying that Powerpc can't do anything is being noob?
    Being noob is :
    asking 1000 times what to do with the powerpc mac X
    Can the powerpc mac run 10.6, 10.7,10.8,10.9....

etc...
    when it is all on the F.A.Q. and there is the SEARCH option.
    Powermacs can't do anything : it depends on the thing.
    For me it is awesome, but if my only needs are for example CAD yes it is worthless..

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think some of it might have to do with the state of affairs in the Mac aftermarket. We're at a point right now that most PowerPC Macs are being offered for sale at ridiculously low prices because that's all the owners can get for them.

So as I have mentioned in other threads, people who are completely unaware that the Intel transition ever happened see only a cheap Mac. They may wonder why it looks a little different then the newer Macs but they still assume they are getting something that can run Mountain Lion. Then they find out everything we have to tell them and they aren't happy. Because they did not do their research, because they believe they were fooled and because they made a wrong decision. People will do almost anything to avoid admitting they were wrong. Admitting it to yourself is often the most difficult. Add in the PC lens as mentioned above and you have uninformed users who would rather blame the product then their bad decision.

I think another part of it is a general laziness. All of us here have devoted considerable resources of time, money, and sweat (and sometimes blood) to making our PowerPC Macs relevant. We hunt down the apps, we tweak the system, we modify things and we create our own workflows to get the best performance out of these machines. We know them inside and out. But that's because for us, these machines mean something. You can't devote that much time to one of these Macs and let it go very easily.

But most people aren't like us. Maybe that's why the Intel Macs suck so bad character-wise. They are designed for the average user who only needs/wants to know enough to do something with the machine. Present that user with a challenge that requires a bit more thinking from them and all of a sudden the Mac is useless. People don't want to do the thinking necessary to make our older Macs relevant.

But that's what separates us from the PC/Intel Mac using masses IMHO.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Some of them are trolls returning from time to time after being banned multiple times. Ignore, don't feed, report. ;)

14. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

I don't know. IMHO PowerPC macs are pretty usable, but not so powerful. I do prefer an iBook G4 over a netbook :)

15. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

That's it =)

16. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

You seem to be pretty hung up paperweights, but a quick search of the forum don't indicate any recent influx of paperweights. ;)

If I already have more suitable machines for all computer-related tasks the PowerPC Mac in question can do (regarding performance, power consumption or whatever), I wouldn't hesitate suggesting paperweight as a useful duty for the PPC. Tag me as clueless all you want.

Don't get me wrong, there are still lots of things a PPC Mac can do. But I won't bring out any of my PPCs to do something I have something else that can do better.

In my case, this pretty much leaves me with five options for my PPCs: Acting as a fax server (yay for built-in modems), looking pretty (Cube, iMac G4, yummy yummy!), running PPC software, acting as a paperweight (the Mini G4 has a pretty good shape for that) or taking over if any of the devices more suitable for any other task break down.

17. ihuman:D thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know, but someone here recently said you can't even use them properly for web browsing, I'm not saying you all have to leave your more powerful machines behind and use PowerPC, all I'm saying is that they still can do modern tasks well.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That was probably all you guys using Leopard Webkit instead of TenFourFox or AuroraFox. :D:D:D

19. ihuman:D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booooo! Everybody knows Leopard Webkit kicks ass! :p :D

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

ROTFLMAO!

I stand corrected, LOL!!!!

21. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Damn, my PowerMac was 250$ and came with no RAM or HDD.

22. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Define can.

If can means is a PowerMac G5 Quad fast enough to run mountain lion, then the answer is yes; it is as fast as a 2009 iMac, Mac Mini or MacBook Pro.

If it means that it can just be booted up from a Mountain Lion USB, the answer is no. But apple could have easily allowed support for 10.8 on the PowerMac G5 Quad, all they had to do was type -arch --ppc --ppc64 (and maybe some other very minor work. They did not do so because they want us to buy a new mac, I am going to get an MSI GX70, with an AMD GPU and CPU. I made the mistake of getting an intell MacBook Pro.

Apple's move to not allow PowerPC support in mountain lion is just wrong, so let's give apple the exact opposite of what evil they wanted by disallowing our native support; let's build our own AMD desktops, and get AMD laptops.

23. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I don't care what other people say. As far as I am concerned, I have lots of 'em. See my sig. And I am very much happy with 'em for what I and the rest of family make use of 'em.

I am simple man, and my needs are simple. I don't need eye candy just to impress the next person beside me or behind me. I want my work to get done, and my work does not involve too much of a cpu cycle.

Other members of my family, their needs are simple as well. Get to the internet, search something and as much as possible no youtube. If they want you tube, they use mactubes. If they wanted movies, there is xbmc to play it.

My Blackbook goes back to my bag, my mac mini went back to its box and off to the drawer. It is a powerbook (yeah baby) right now in my office desk.

So yeah! powerpc macs are dead my @$$!

24. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

What in the world are you talking about?

I'm getting the New Mac Pro :)

25. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Plus the HDD trashcan and the GPU trashcan, and the PCIe trashcan, and the USB hub, and the FireWire hub. All the trashcans and hubs will be connected to the Mac Pro with a web of thunderbolt cables.

I think that apple will release separate expansion chassises all in the shape of trashcans. And when I think I am usually right.