What is new on iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone: Please Share

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

So what is new for iPhone (I am not talking about iPad here).
    Except, airprint (only a few HP printers), airplay, new SMS ringtones, search option in Safari...what else is significantly changing...
    I did not find any specific hidden features so far...
    Did you?

2. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

So far the only differences that I have used have been the additional choices in text alerts and the new icon for voice memo. I only recently got my iPhone 4 and I have to say it sounds pretty good for a voice recorder. I use it for remembering song ideas. I previously had a LG Dare but the iPhone sounds so much more real and less digitized.

3. Dias macrumors 6502

I guess it's a big WOW for iPad users, just a minor addition to iPhone users. Nothing much here. :eek:

4. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Fixed

6. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Well.

I can confirm iOS 4.2 was an update for the iPAD. That's it.

iPhone users can stay on 4.1, unless you want to look at the new "Print" button and hear the new Text messages.

After that, you will click on Tri-Tone again.

I guess it was too hard for them to just leave the text message alone and do a "Email Tone" section with the new tones.

Anyway, no improvements in performance or anything new.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Battery life and performance are improved in 4.2.1. There's also Find My iPhone...

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Anyone with an iPhone 3G notice any improvements in performance?

9. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 performs exactly the same way as with 4.1.

The only difference is that in the multitask bar, after the iPod controls if you swipe left once more you will find a volume control.

Let's see.

Volume Control on the iPod, volume controls on the side of the phone, volume controls on the lock screen when you double tap the home button, volume controls on the headsets.

How many volume controls do we really need Apple?

How about you get rid of that stupid volume control that I have no use for, since I have 3 other ways I can change the volume, and you give us 3 simple buttons.

Toggle Bluetooth
    Toggle Airplane Mode
    Toggle Cellular Data

If they had done this simple thing it would have been a real hit.

Ah well. As usual, maybe with iOS 5.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

For the iPhone 3G, it's definitely not faster than 4.1, maybe about 10-20% slower, and certainly a lot slower than iPhone OS 3.0. All my podcasts got wiped and it keeps asking for my password when I launch the App Store or iTunes, even though I didn't purchase anything. Safari loads pages slow - there seems to be a major lagg for about 5-10 seconds before it starts downloading data from any webpage. Google maps takes longer to start up to a useable point where you can change the address or use location services. Kindle has lags when changing the first page of a book. The search to swipe on the homescreen lags more.

There's really no extra features you gain other than a few more fonts in notes, but since notes loads so slow since 4.0/4.1, I don't see the point in using it. Oh, you also need to download the bloated iTunes 10 just to download the firmware so I'd skip it completely if I were you.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

^

I suggest you reset all your settings because other accounts are more positive.

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Thank you for the tip daneoni, but what exactly gets "lost" when you reset all settings?

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

All settings like wifi (network settings in general), calendar view, wallpaper, brightness level, sound alerts etc. are reset to factory defaults. Your apps/data remain intact though. It basically gives the OS a fresh start. It's saved me a bunch of times when things were clunky/battery life was subpar.

YMMV though

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Didn't upgrade my iPhone yet but my iPad says when it has 5% battery left like 10 and 20 now. Idk if same for iPhone

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an iPad and iPhone 4 and an older Apple TV. So I don't get Airplay really. I don't think I can push audio to my Apple TV straight from the iOS device, but I could always and still can play from either the Apple TV or iMac using the Remote app, and control it all via the iOS device, also selecting my Airport Express speakers for additional audio locations.

But I got AirPrint up and running and I have to say I'm impressed with it. No HP. Just used AirPrint Hacktivator in about 2 minutes incl. deleting and readding my printer and rebooting. Now I can print web pages or emails direct from the phone or iPad.

I didn't know about the SMS tones. Sorry they are all super long and annoying. Will stick with Glass. Definitely the big improvement is on the iPad. Finally having Folders. Multitasking, Game Center, stuff like that is nice too, but Folders is really what I've been waiting for. I don't even have that many apps, but I hate swiping through screens and getting lost in the icons. Categorizing them is so much nicer. Though now it seems a bummer that I can't get as many apps into a folder on my iPhone. :eek:

16. Xytal macrumors regular

I'd love sounds for e-mail, that'd be wicked.

Personally, I liked a few of the new SMS sounds, there were a few shorter ones, and I'm bad about hearing/checking my phone when they go off. So the longer the better. I switched from the Tri-Tone months ago so I'd stop checking my freaking phone whenever I hear the freakin' sound. ><

But, wait, I'm on a 3GS, so I don't get them. >< But not like I'm bitter or anything, no not me. >_>

17. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Yes my old 3G runs much much better...for sure this iOS update has improved the 3G :D
    I am very happy with that.
    Even though it has really not brought anything to my iPhone 4...
    So I would say that update mostly benefit to iPad and iPhone 3G owners.

18. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

That is not at all what i see...my 3G is much faster!

19. torakaru macrumors member

torakaru

MacGiver, but your iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1 is faster than with the iOS 3.1.3? :confused:

20. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Honestly I don't remember as I mostly use my iP4 now. But it is for sure much faster than iOS4 first gen as I upgraded it from 3.1.3 to iOS4...on iOS4 first gen is was so slow...i would not say unusable...but almost.
    Now with 4.2.1 it does not bother me to use it...it is for sure slower than my iP4 but it is very normal isn't it...

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Noisy USB connection to my car audio system is now fixed!! Super! Before, playing music was very poor quality. Now it's excellent! :D

22. siupilot macrumors newbie

I've noticed that since upgrading, Safari link highlighting isn't exactly working. Example:

iOS 4.1:

- Click on a link
    - After link loads, return to previous page
    - Previously clicked-on link is changed from blue to purple
    - Reload page - link remains purple to show I've already viewed that link

iOS 4.2:

- Click on a link
    - After link loads, return to previous page
    - Previously clicked-on link is changed from blue to purple
    - Reload page - link goes back to blue

Now I'm not able to see at a glance which links I've viewed and which ones I haven't. Is there a setting I need to change?

23. MacVault macrumors 65816

Sync Issue - YahooMail & Gmail

Since upgrading my iPhone 4 last night to 4.2 I notice issues syncing the following:

1) Built-in Yahoo mail app... I read an email message and it shows as read on iphone, but when I go to my yahoo mail on my PC it does not show as read.

2) GMail iPhone web app - similar syncing issue.. if I star a message on iPhone it is not starred on gmail on my PC.

Anyone else notice this? Any known solution? Is this a known bug in 4.2? Before I upgraded all things synced perfectly.

???

24. eingbol macrumors newbie

I upgrade my 3GS from 3.1.2 to 4.1 today,not 4.2.I think 4.2 is for iPad.:(

25. THE dAY macrumors 6502